Effect of Pre-chilling and Storage Temperature on Seed Germination of Solanum macrocarpon L. (African Eggplant)
Languages of publication
This study examined the effects of storage temperature and pre-chilling on the germination of the seeds of Solanum macrocarpon – which according to literature has a seed viability of 63.33%. In our study, the seeds were sown in dry Petri dishes and placed in the refrigerator set at 4 °C for 1, 3, 5, 7 and 10 days. Another set of seeds was placed in incubators set at 25, 35 and 45 °C for 40 days before the germination experiment was carried out on a laboratory workbench. Results from the study revealed that while storage temperature had a significant effect on that the germination of seeds of this plant, pre-chilling of seeds and incubator treatments generally reduced seed germination. Thus seed germination in this plant is temperature dependent.
-  Adebola, P.O. and Afolayan, A. J. (2006). Germination responses of Solanum aculeastrum, a medicinal species of the Eastern Cape, South Africa. Seed Science Technology, 34: 735-740.
-  Amini, V., Zaefarian, F. and Rezvani, M. (2014). Effect of pre-chilling and environmental factors on breaking seed dormancy and germination of three foxtail species. Acta Agriculturae Slovenica, 105(2): 269-278, DOI: 10.14720/aas.2015.105.2.10
-  Barrozo, M. A. S.; Mujumdar, A. and Freire, J. T. (2014) Air-Drying of seeds: A review. Drying Technology: An International Journal, 32(10): 1127-1141.
-  Bone, M. (2003). Germination of woody legumes from green seed. Proceedings of International Plant Propagation Society Conference, 53: 372.
-  Brady, S.M. and MeCourt, P. (2003). Hormone cross-talk in seed dormancy. Plant Growth Regulation, 22: 25-31.
-  Bvenura, C. (2014). Wild vegetables of the Eastern Cape of South Africa: The Nutritional Value and Domestication of Solanum nigrum L. PhD Thesis, University of Fort Hare, South Africa
-  Carvalho, E. R. Oliveira, J. A., Mavaieie, D. P. R., Silva, H.W. and Lopes, C.G.M. (2016) Pre-packing cooling and types of packages in maintaining physiological quality of soybean seeds during storage. Journal of Seed Science, 38(2): 129-139. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/23171545v38n2158956.
-  Chinedu, S. N. Olasumbo, A. C. Eboji, O. K. Emiloju, O. C. Arinola O. K. and Dania, D. I. (2011). Proximate and Phytochemical Analyses of Solanum aethiopicum L. and Solanum macrocarpon L. Fruits, Research Journal of Chemical Sciences, 1(3): 63-71.
-  Czabator, F.J. (1962). Germination value: an index combining speed and completeness of pine seed germination. Forensic Science, 8, 386-396.
-  Baskin, C. C., Milberg, P., Anderson, L. and Baskin, J. M. (2001). Seed dormancy breaking and germination requirements of Drosera anglica, an insectivorous species of the Northern Hemisphere. Acta Oecologica, 12: 1-8.
-  Copeland, L.O., McDonald, M., (2001). Principles of seed science and Technology. Kluwer Academic Publisher, Norwell, MA, USA, DOI: 10.1007/9781-4615-1619-4.
-  Finkelstein, R., Reeves, W., Ariizumi T. and Steber, C. (2008). Molecular aspects of seed dormancy. Annual Review of Plant Biology, 59, 387- 415.
-  Forcella, F. (1998). Real-time assessment of seed dormancy and seedling growth for weed management, Seed Science Research, 8(2): 201-210.
-  Gisbert, C., Prohens, J and Nuez, F. (2011). Treatments for Improving Seed Germination in Eggplant and Related Species, Proceedings of 5th International Symposium on Seed, Transplant and Stand Establishment of Horticultural Crops Eds.: lA. Pascual and F, Pérez-Alfocea Acta Horticulturae, 898, ISHS
-  Hegarty, T.W. (1977). Temperature coefficient (Q10), seed germination and other biological processes. Nature, 243: 305-306.
-  Luna, T. and Wilkinson, K. M. (2009). Collecting, processing and storing seeds. In Dumroese RK, Luna K and Landis TD (Eds). Nursery manual for native plants. a guide for tribal nurseries. Vol I, Nursery Management. Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations for 2010: Hearings Before a Subcommittee of the Committee on Appropriations, House of Representatives, One Hundred Eleventh Congress, First Session, Part 3.
-  Mader, S.S., 1993. Biology Part 1: The cell (4TH Ed) Duburque, IA, USA: Wm. C. Brown communications, Inc. pp. 152.
-  Mane, V. and Puri, V. (2013). Studies on permittivity and moisture content of sunflower seeds using microstrip equilateral triangle patch antenna. International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, 3(4): 1584-1586.
-  Nkomo, M. and Kambizi, L. (2009). Effects of pre-chilling and temperature on seed germination of Corchorus olitorius L. (Tiliaceae) (Jew’s Mallow), a wild leafy vegetable, African Journal of Biotechnology, 8(6): 1078-1081.
-  Pathak, P.S., Dedroy, R. and Rai, P. (1975). Autecology of Leucaena leucocephala (L and M) Dewit. J. Seed Polymorphism and germination. Tropical Ecology, 15: 1-10.
-  Ren, J., Tao, L. (2004). Effects of different pre-sowing seed treatments on germination of 10 Calligonum species. Forest Ecology and Management, 195: 291-300
-  Roberts, K. M., Daryl, K. G., Peter, A. M. and Victor, W. K. (2000) Harper’s Biochemistry, 25th Edition, Lange Medical Book, Appleton and Lange, pp. 209-210.
-  Rutger, J. N. and L.V. Crowder, (1967). Effect of plant density on silage and grain yield of six corn hybrids. Crop. Science, 7: 182-184.
-  Sandstead, H. H., Penland, J. G., Alcock, N. W., Dayal, H. H., Chen, X. C., Li, J. S., Zhao, F. and Yang, J. J. (1998) Effects of Repletion with Zinc and Other Micronutrients on Neuropsychologic Performance and Growth of Chinese Children. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 68 (2): 470S-475S.
-  Shoab, M., Tanveer A., Khaliq A., Haider Ali H. (2012). Effect of Seed Size and Ecological Factors on Germination of Emex spinosa. World Applied Science Journal, 17: 964-969.
-  Sodipo, O. A. Abdulrahman, F. I. Akan J. C. and Akinniyi, J. A. (2008). Phytochemical Screening and Elemental Constituents of the Fruit of Solanum macrocarpon L. Continental Journal of Applied Sciences, 3: 85-94.
-  Sowunmi, L. I and Afolayan, A. J. (2015). Effect of environmental factors and sowing depth on seed germination in Cleome gynandra L. (Capparaceae). Pakistan Journal of Botany, 47(6): 2189-2193.
-  Suthar, A. C., Naik, V. R. and Mulani, R. M. (2009). Seed and seed germination in Solanum nigrum Linn. American-Eurasian Journal of Agriculture and Environmental Science, 5(2): 179-183.
-  Van Assche, J., Van Nerum, D., Darius, P., 2002. The comparative germination ecology of nine Rumex species. Plant Ecology, 159: 131-142, DOI: 10.1023/A:1015553905110
Publication order reference