Predicting adolescents’ quality of life using discriminat analysis
Languages of publication
Psychosocial functioning and depression is associated with a wide range of impacts on adolescents’ quality of life. In Nigeria, studies assessing the importance of psychosocial functioning and depression in distinguishing between the categories of quality of life and classifying adolescents into these categories have been limited in literature. This study investigated the domains of psychosocial functioning and child depression that significantly distinguish between the categories of quality of life and also classify into these groups. Data for 2019 adolescents aged 10-19 were obtained in a Benue State cross-sectional study. Preliminary analyses on their socio-demographic information were performed using descriptive statistics. Differences between categories (groups) of Quality of Life (low, moderate and excellent) on the basis of the attributes of the adolescents in terms of their psychosocial functioning and depression status, indicating which attributes contribute most to group separation were investigated using discriminant analysis. Chi-square analysis was used to assess the association between socio-demographic characteristics of the adolescents and levels of Quality of Life. The inter-relationships between the domains of Quality of Life and the adolescents age, position in the family, domains of psychosocial functioning and child depression status was assessed using correlation analysis. Prosocial behaviour (F=82.41, p<0.001) and ineffectiveness (F=31.19, p<0.001) were strong significant discriminating variables that predict adolescents’ levels of total quality of life. Adolescent’s psychosocial functioning and depression status relates with their physical health, psychological health, social relationship, environmental health and total quality of life.
-  Gonçalves H, González DA, Araújo CL, et al. The impact of socio-demographic conditions on quality of life among adolescents in a Brazilian birth cohort: A longitudinal study. Rev Panam Salud Publication. 2010; 28(2): 71-79.
-  Lindqvist F, Schmitt P, Santalahti G, et al. Factors associated with the mental health of adolescents when a parent has cancer. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology. 2007; 48: 345-351.
-  Okonta PI. Adolescent sexual and reproductive health in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria: Issues and challenges. African Journal of Reproductive Health. 2007; 11(1): 113-124.
-  Jin-Ding L, Jung H, Chia-Feng Y, et al. Quality of life in caregivers of children and adolescents with intellectual disabilities: Use of WHOQOL-BREF survey, research in developmental disabilities. A Multidisciplinary Journal, Sayi. 2009; 30(6): 1448–1458.
-  Goodman R. The strengths and difficulties questionnaire: A research note. Journal of Child Psychological Psychiatry. 1997; 38: 581–586.
-  Takashi I, Atsuro T, Akramul M, et al. Mental health, quality of life and nutritional status of adolescents in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Social Science and Medicine. 2006; 63(6): 1477–1488
-  Cassedy A, Drotar D, Ittenbach R, et al. The impact of socio-economic status on health related quality of life for children and adolescents with heart disease. Health and quality of life outcomes. 2013; 11:99
-  Aronen ET, Soininen M. Childhood depressive symptoms predict psychiatric problems in young adults. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 2000; 45: 465–470.
-  Fergusson DM, Woodward LJ. Mental health, educational and social role outcomes of adolescents with depression. Archives of General Psychiatry. 2002; 59: 225–231.
-  McLeod JD, Ryotaro U, Shawna R. Adolescent mental health, behaviour problems and academic achievement. Journal of Health and Social Behaviour. 2012; 53(4): 482–497.
-  Thoits PA. Stress and health: Major findings and policy implications. Journal of Health and Social Behaviour. 2010; 51: 41–53.
-  Dissart JC, Deller SC. Quality of life in the planning literature. Journal of Planning Literature. 2000; 15(1): 135-161.
-  Battle J, Lewis M. The increasing significance of class: The relative effects of race and socioeconomic status on academic achievement. Journal of Poverty. 2002; 6(2): 21-35.
-  Tammy Dew, E. Scott Huebner. Adolescents' perceived quality of life: An exploratory investigation. Journal of School Psychology Volume 32, Issue 2, Summer 1994, Pages 185-199
-  Jan L. Wallander, Margaret Schmitt and Hans M. Koot. Quality of life measurement in children and adolescents: Issues, instruments, and applications. Journal of Clinical Psychology Volume 57, Issue 4 April 2001 Pages 571–585
-  Tara McGoey, Zach Root, Mark W. Bruner, Barbi Law, Evaluation of physical activity interventions in children via the reach, efficacy/effectiveness, adoption, implementation, and maintenance (RE-AIM) framework: A systematic review of randomized and non-randomized trials, Preventive Medicine, 2016, 82, 8
-  Tha’er G. Momani, Donna K. Hathaway, Belinda N. Mandrell, Factors Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in Children Undergoing Curative Treatment for Cancer, Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing, 2016, 33, 3, 228
-  Javier Montero, Eva Rosel, Rocío Barrios, Antonio López-Valverde, Alberto Albaladejo, Manuel Bravo, Oral health-related quality of life in 6- to 12-year-old schoolchildren in Spain, International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, 2016, 26, 3, 220
-  Jan L. Wallander, Hans M. Koot, Quality of life in children: A critical examination of concepts, approaches, issues, and future directions, Clinical Psychology Review, 2016, 45, 131
-  Maribel Cruz-Ortiz, M. Carmen Pérez-Rodríguez, Cristina Jenaro-Río, Dora-Esperanza Sevilla-Santo, Silvia Cruz-Ortiz, When differences do not matter: inclusion in a Mexican primary school / Cuando las diferencias no importan: la inclusión en una escuela primaria mexicana, Cultura y Educación, 2016, 28, 1, 72
-  Carlos Carona, Neuza Silva, Helena Moreira, Applying a developmental approach to quality of life assessment in children and adolescents with psychological disorders: challenges and guidelines, Expert Review of Pharmacoeconomics & Outcomes Research, 2015, 15, 1, 47
-  Jan L. Wallander, Commentary: Dennis D. Drotar Distinguished Research Award: Reflections on People and Contexts Influencing a Research Career, Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 2015, 40, 10, 1001
-  Maria Drakouli, Konstantinos Petsios, Margarita Giannakopoulou, Elisabeth Patiraki, Ioanna Voutoufianaki, Vasiliki Matziou, Determinants of quality of life in children and adolescents with CHD: a systematic review, Cardiology in the Young, 2015, 25, 06, 1027
-  Ann S. Masten, Keith B. Burt, J. Douglas Coatsworth, Developmental Psychopathology, 2015, 696
-  Carlos Carona, Neuza Silva, Helena Moreira, Maria Cristina Canavarro, Monika Bullinger, Does the small fit them all? The utility of Disabkids-10 Index for the assessment of pediatric health-related quality of life across age-groups, genders, and informants, Journal of Child Health Care, 2015, 19, 4, 466
-  Lore Van Damme, Olivier Colins, Jessica De Maeyer, Robert Vermeiren, Wouter Vanderplasschen, Girls’ quality of life prior to detention in relation to psychiatric disorders, trauma exposure and socioeconomic status, Quality of Life Research, 2015, 24, 6, 1419
-  Charlotte Coudronnière, Fabien Bacro, Philippe Guimard, Agnès Florin, Quelle conception de la qualité de vie et du bien-être chez des enfants de 5 à 11 ans ?, Enfance, 2015, 2015, 02, 225
-  Reza Vazirinejad, Javad Joorian, Mohammad Mohsen Taghavi, Jeanette M. Lilley, Ahmad Reza Sayadi Anari, The Persian Version of a Participation Scale: Is It Valid and Reliable Enough for Use among Iranian Patients with Multiple Sclerosis?, Journal of Clinical Neurology, 2015, 11, 2, 157
-  Eithne Hunt, Elizabeth Anne McKay, What Can Be Learned From Adolescent Time Diary Research, Journal of Adolescent Health, 2015, 56, 3, 259
-  N. Silva, C. Crespo, C. Carona, M. Bullinger, M. C. Canavarro, Why the (dis)agreement? Family context and child-parent perspectives on health-related quality of life and psychological problems in paediatric asthma, Child: Care, Health and Development, 2015, 41, 1, 112
Publication order reference