A REVIEW OF THE PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY OF DYEING CHITIN AND CHITOSAN
Languages of publication
The literature on the adsorption and diffusion of anionic dyes, including acid, direct, reactive and metal-complexed dyes, on chitin and chitosan is reviewed. The similarity of the overall chain structure of cellulose to both chitin and chitosan, together with the presence of the C(2)-amine groups on the latter two polymers, means that they show considerable similarity in dyeing behaviour to both polysaccharide and protein substrates.
-  Knecht E, Hibbert, E; (1926) Some observations relating to chitin. J Soc Dyers Col., 42, 343-345.
-  Rattee ID, Breuer MM; (1974) The physical chemistry of dye adsorption. Academic Press, London,
-  Giles CH, Hassan ASA, Subramamanian RVR; (1958) Adsorption at organic surfaces(IV): Adsorption of sulphonated azo dyes by chitin from aqueous solution. J. Soc. Dyers Col, 74, 682-688.
-  Peters RH; (1945) Nylon fibre: A study of the mechanism of the dyeing process with acid dyes. J Soc Dyers Col, 61, 95-100.
-  Chiou M-S, Chuang G-S; (2006) Competitive adsorption of Metanil Yellow and RB15 in acid solutions on chemically cross-linked chitosan beads. Chemosphere 62, 731-740.
-  Maghami GG, Roberts GAF; (1988) Studies on the adsorption of anionic dyes on chitosan. Makromol Chem 189, 2239-2243.
-  Roberts GAF; (1997) Determination of the degree of N-acetylation of chitin and chitosan. In: Muzzarelli RAA, Peter MG (eds.), Chitin Handbook, European Chitin Society, 127-132.
-  Guthrie J, Blair HS, O’Donnell, R.P; (1986) Determination of the diffusion coefficient of an acid dye in chitosan and modified chitosan membranes. Polymer Communications 27, 53-55.
-  Sekido M, Matsui K; (1965) Vat dyeing (I): Determination of surface concentration and diffusion coefficient by cylindrical cellophane film roll. Kogyo Kagaku Zasshi 68, 524-528.
-  Peters RH; (1968) Kinetics of dyeing. In: Crank J, Park GS (eds), Diffusion in Polymers, Academic Press, London, 315-372.
-  Davidson RS, Xue Y; (1994) Improving the dyeability of wool by treatment with chitosan. J Soc Dyers Col 110, 24-29.
-  Shimizu Y, Nakajima T, Yoshikawa M, Takagishi T; (2002) Dyeing of chitin/ cellulose composite fibers with an acid dye Text Res J 72, 563-567.
-  Yoshida H, Okamoto A, Kataoka T; (1993) Adsorption of acid dye on cross-linked chitosan fibers: Equilibria. Chem Eng Sci 48, 2267-2273.
-  Jocić D, Vílchez S, Topalovic T, Molina R, Navarro A, Jovanovic P, Juliá MR, Erra P; (2005) Effect of low-temperature plasma and chitosan treatment on wool dyeing with Acid Red 27. J Appl Pol Sci 97, 2204-2214.
-  Garvie WM, Neale SM; (1938) Adsorption of dyestuffs by cellulose (VII): Analysis of the diffusion of Sky Blue FF through single and double membranes. Trans Faraday Soc 34, 335-339.
-  Crank J; (1948) The diffusion of direct dyes into cellulose (II): The interpretation of rate of dyeing measurements. J Soc Dyers Col 64, 386-393.
-  Peters RH, Petropoulos, JH, McGregor, R; (1961). A study of diffusion of dyes in polymer films by a microdensitometric technique. J Soc Dyers Col 77, 704-714.
-  Carlough M, Hudson S, Smith, B, Spadgenske D; (1991) Diffusion coefficients of direct dyes in chitosan. J Appl Poly Sci 42, 3035-3038.
-  Mazengarb S, Roberts GAF; (2009) Studies on the diffusion of direct dyes in chitosan film. Progress Chem Appl Chitin Derivatives 14, 25-32.
-  Rippon JA; (1984) Improving the dye coverage of immature cotton fibres by treatment with chitosan. J Soc Dyers Col 100, 298-303.
-  Mehta RD, Combs R; (1997) Coverage of immature cotton neps in dyed fabrics using chitosan aftertreatment. American Assoc Dyers Col 86, 43-44.
-  Jones F; (1990) The chemistry and properties of metal-complex dyes. In: Shore J (ed), Colorants and Auxiliaries, Society of Dyers and Colourists, Bradford, 196-229.
-  Roberts GAF, Wood FA; (2001) Dyeing chitin and chitosan under neutral conditions. In: Uragami T, Kurita K, Fukamizo T (eds), Chitin and chitosan: chitin and chitosan in life science, Kodanska Scientific Ltd., Tokyo, 150-151.
-  Mazengarb S, Roberts GAF, Wood FA; (2010) Studies on the dyeing of chitin and chitosan with pre-metallised dyes at neutral pH. Progress Chem Appl Chitin and Derivatives 15, 87-96.
-  Shimizu Y, Dohmyou M, Yoshikawa M, Takagishi T; (2004) Dyeing chitin/cellulose composite fibers with reactive dyes. Text Res J 74, 34-38.
-  Jocić D, Julià MR, Erra P; (1997) Application of a chitosan/nonionic surfactant mixture to wool assessed by dyeing with a reactive dye. J Soc Dyers Col 113, 25-31.
-  Julià M.R., Pascual E., Erra P; (2000) Influence of the molecular mass of chitosan on shrink-resistance and dyeing properties of chitosan-treated wool. J Soc Dyers Col 116, 62-67.
-  Houshyar S, Amirshahi SH; (2002) Treatment of cotton with chitosan and its effect on dyeability with reactive dyes. Iranian Polymer J 11, 295-301.
Publication order reference