Quantitative analysis of physical and chemical attribute of soil around power-line dumpsite at Boji-Boji Owa, Delta State, Nigeria
Languages of publication
The study ascertains some physiochemical properties of soils around Power-line dumpsite at Boji-Boji Owa, Delta State, Nigeria. In order to evaluate the effects of municipal solid waste dumpsites on soils, soil samples were collected with the aid of a graduated soil auger at depths of 0 – 10 cm, 15 – 25 cm and 25 – 40 cm, representing top to sub and bottom soil sand also 500 m away from dumpsites which serves as control site (R). Samples were taken for laboratory analyses to determine the level of physiochemical properties such as: pH, grain size distribution, Electrical Conductivity (Ec), Organic Carbon (OC), Organic Matter (OM), Available Phosphorous (Av. P), Overall Nitrogen (ON), Basic Cations and Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC) in soils. Results obtained from the study, revealed that values between waste dumpsite and control site were significantly different. Findings showed that the pH value in sampled soils from studied dumpsites ranged from 6.22±0.06 and 7.97±0.04 while the mean pH value for controlled site was 39.8±0.08. The increase in the pH value of the sampled soil indicated an increase in CEC mean value of soil which ranged from 4.73±0.30 and 10.28±0.46 mEq/100 g while a low pH indicated low CEC mean value of 1.50±0.22 mEq/100 g. This is because there exists a positively significant relationship between pH, OC, OM, Av.P, ON, basic cations and CEC. As Ec varied between 692±4.50 to 918±4.03 μScm-1, OC varied between 0.05±0.00 to 0.64±0.03%, OM varied between 0.10±0.06 to 0.57±0.07%, Av.P varied between 8.98±0.06 to 25.36±0.22 mg/kg and ON varied between 0.44±0.01 to 0.93±0.03% across all studied dumpsites.
- Department of Environment Management and Pollution Control, Nigeria Maritime University, Okerenkoko, Nigeria
- Department of Chemical Engineering, Federal University of Technology, Minna Nigeria
- Department of Geology, Ebonyi State University, Ebonyi State, Nigeria
-  Cointreau, S.J., Mundial, B. Environmental management of urban solid wastes in developing countries: a project guide. The World Bank, vol. 5, 1982.
-  Doan, P.L. Institutionalizing household waste collection: the urban environmental management project in Cote d’Ivoire. Habitat International. 1998. 22, 27-39
-  Singh, R.P., Arouja, A.S.F., Ibrahim, M.H., Sulaiman, O. Management of urban solid waste: vermin composting a sustainable option. Resource Conservation Recycle, 2011. 55, 719-729
-  Abul, S. Environmental and Health Impact of Solid Waste disposal at Mangwane Dumpsite in Manzini Swaziland. Journal of Sustainable Developmentin Africa, vol. 12, no. 7, 64-78, 2010
-  Akoteyon, I.S. Mbata, U.A., Olalude, G.A. Investigation of heavy metal contamination in groundwater around landfill site in a typical sub-urban settlement in Alimosho Lagos-Nigeria. Applied Science of Environment and Sanitation, 2011. 6, 155-163
-  Otabor, K.E., Oviawe, A.P. Ilori, E.G. (2018). Study on the Impact of Municipal Solid Wastes on Physico-Chemical Properties of Dumpsite Soils in Benin City, Nigeria. Nigerian Research Journal of Engineering and Environmental Sciences, 3(2), 529-541
-  Jhamnaniand, S., Singh, B. Groundwater contamination due to Bhalaswa landfill site in New Delhi. International Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering, vol. 1, 121–125, 2009
-  Longe, E., Balogun, M. Groundwater quality assessment near a municipal landfill, Lagos, Nigeria. Resource Journal of applied Science and Engineering Technology, 2010. 2, 39-44
-  Sabohi, E.A., Abdul, R.S. Leachate composition and groundwater pollution at municipal solid waste landfill of Ibb city, Yemen. Sains Malaysiana, 2009. 38, 295–304
-  Adefemiand, S.O., Awokunmi, E.E. Determination of Physicochemical parameters and heavy metals in water samples from Itaogbolu area of Ondo State, Nigeria. African Journal of Environment Science and Technology, 2010. 4, 145-148
-  Piccolo, A., Mbagwu, J.S.C. Exogenous humic substances as conditions for the rehabilitation of degraded soils, Agro-Foods Industry Hi-Tech. March/April. 1997.
-  Badmus, B.S., Ozebo, V.C., Idowu, O.A., Ganiyu, S.A., Olurin, O.T. Physicochemical Properties of Soil samples and Dumpsite of Environmental Impact on Ground Water Quality in South-western Nigeria. The Africa Reviewer of Physics, 2014, 9(15), 103-113
-  Anikwe MA, Nwobodo KC. Long term effect of municipal waste disposal on soil properties and productivity of sites used for urban agriculture in Abakaliki, Nigeria. Bioresource Technology 2002 Jul; 83(3):241-250. DOI: 10.1016/s0960-8524(01)00154-7
-  Illeoje, S.I. General Geography of Nigeria. Heinemann Books Ibadan. 2003.
-  Kogbe, C.A. Paleogeographic history of Nigeria from Albian times. In: Kogbe, C.A. (Ed.) Elizabethan Publishers, Lagos, 1976. pp. 237–252.
-  Ogala, J.E., Kalaitzidis, S., Rizos, A.M., Christanis, K., Omo-irabor, O.O., Adaikpoh, E.O., Ejeh, O.I., Papaefthymiou, H. Petrographic and mineralogical study of extended out crops of lignite layers in Agbor area, southern Nigeria, Journal of African Earth Sciences, (2019), doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jafrearsci.2019.103659
-  Ilori, E.G., Aisueni, N.O., Sulaiman-Ilobu, B.B., Ekhator, F., Eneje, R.C., Efetie-Osie, A. Immobilization effect of Cow Dung on Lead and Chromium in Soil Cultivated with Oil Palm. Bulletin Environmental and Pharmacological Life Sciences, 2012, 1(9), 74-80
-  Asagba, E.U., Okiemen, F.E., Osokpor, J. Screening and speciation of heavy metal contaminated soil from an automobile Spare Parts Market. Chemical Speciation and Bioavailability, 2007. 19(1), 9-15
-  Okuo, J.M., Anegbe, B., Atenaga, M.A., Ighodaro, A., Emina, N.A. Oladejo. Distribution and Speciation of Heavy Metals in Soils around some Selected Auto Repair Workshops in Oghara, Delta State Nigeria. International Journal of Environmental, Agriculture and Biotechnology, 2016, 3(2), 575-584
-  Elfaki, J., Gafer, M., Suliemanand, M., Ali, M. Comparison and evaluation of two analytical Methods for cation exchange capacity and exchangeable sodium percentage of five soil types in Central Sudan. Journal of Soil Science, 2015, 5, 311-318
-  Wunzani, D.K., Dauda, M.S., Wyasu, G., D.A.A. David. "Assessments of Physicochemical Properties and Heavy Metals Content in Soils from Selected Solid Waste Dumpsites in Kaduna Metropolis, Kaduna State, Nigeria. Science World Journal, 2020, 15(1), 76-79
-  Akpoveta, O.V., Osakwe, S.A., Okoh, B.E., Otuya, B.O. Physicochemical Characteristics and Levels of Some Heavy Metals in Soils around Metal Scrap Dumps in Some Parts of Delta State, Nigeria. Journal of Applied Sciences and Environmental Management, vol. 14(4), 57 – 60, 2011.
-  Osakwe, S.A., Okolie, L.P. Physicochemical Characteristics and Heavy Metals Contents in Soils and Cassava Plants from Farmlands along A Major Highway in Delta State, Nigeria. Journal of Applied Science and Environmental Management, 2015, 19(4), 695-704
-  Odu, C.T.I., Esurosu, O.F., Nwaboshi, I.C., Ogunwale, J.A. Environmental study Soil and Vegetation) of Nigeria Agip Oil Company Operation Area. A report submitted to Nigeria Agip Oil Company Limited, Lagos, Nigeria. 1985. pp. 102-107
-  Isirimah, N.O. An inventory of some chemical properties of selected surface soils of River state of Nigeria. In Proceeding of the 15th Annual Conference of Soil Science Association of Nigeria, Kaduna. 1987, 217-233
-  Daniel Omeodisemi Omokpariola, John Kanayochukwu Nduka, Patrick Leonard Omokpariola, Elshalom Chioma Onomeda Omokpariola, Ionic composition of rainwater from different sampling surfaces across selected locations in Rivers State, Nigeria. World Scientific News 150 (2020) 132-147
-  Akinyinka, A., Jacob, O.A. Physicochemical Characteristics and Heavy Metals Concentration in Sub-Surface Soil at Different Dumpsites in Rufus Giwa Polytechnic, Owo, Ondo State, Nigeria. Journal of Environmental and Agricultural Sciences, 2016. 8, 21-28
-  Useh, M.U., Etuk-Udo, G.A., Dauda, M.S. Evaluating the Physico-chemical Properties and Heavy Metals in Soils of Municipal Waste Dumpsites at Kubwa, Abuja, Nigeria. Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Sciences, 2015, 5(11), 654-662
-  Nyleand, B., Ray, R.N. The nature and properties of soils.12th Edition United States of America, 1999. 734-785
-  Gbadegesin, A.S., Abua, M.A. Variation of Soil Properties on Cassava Production in the Coastal Area of Southern Cross River State, Nigeria. Journal of Geography and Geology, 2011, 3(1), 94-103
-  Eyankware, M.O., Eyankware, O.E., Ulakpa, R.O.E. Assessment of Impact of Leachate on Soil Physicochemical Parameters in the Vicinity of Eliozu Dumpsite, Port Harcourt, Nigeria. Basic Resource Journal of Soil and Environment and Science, Benin, Nigeria, 4(2), 15-25, 2016
-  Obasi, N.A., Akubugwo, E.I., Ugboguand, O.C. Otuchristian, G. Assessment of physicochemical properties and heavy metals availability in dumpsites along Enugu-Port-Harcourt expressways, South-East, Nigeria. Asian Journal of Applied Sciences, 2013, 5, 342-356
-  Anake, W.U., Adie GU, Osibanjo, O. Heavy Metals pollution at Municipal Solid Waste Dumpsites in Kano and Kaduna States in Nigeria". Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Ethiopia, 2009, 23(2), 281-289
-  Oyedele, D.J., Gasu, M.B., Awotoye, O.O. Changes in Soil Properties and Plant Uptake of Heavy Metals on Selected Municipal Solid Waste Dump Sites in Ile-Ife, Nigeria. African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 2008, 3(5), 107-115
-  Amos–Tautua, B.M.W., Onigbindea, A.O., Ere, D. Assessment of some heavy metals and physicochemical properties in surface soils of Municipal Open Waste Dumpsite in Yenagoa, Nigeria. African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 2014, 8(1), 41-47
-  Ayolaghaand, G.A., Onwugbata, G.C. Suitability comparison of waste disposal site. 27th proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Soil Science of Nigeria, University of Calabar, Nigeria. 2001. November, 5-9.
-  Brady, N.C. The nature and properties of soil. 11th Ed.; McMillan: New York. 1996. 621 pages.
-  Eyankware, O.R., Eyankware, M.O., Effam, C. Soil Erodibility Assessment in Selected Part of Ekwusigo Local Government Area Anambra State South-Eastern Nigeria. International Journal of Innovation and Scientific Research, 2015, 13(1), 50-62
-  Sobulo, R.A., Osiname, O.A. Soils and fertilizer use in Western Nigeria. Research Bulletin, 1981, No. 1, I.A.R.T. University of Ife.
-  Ideriah, T.K.J., Omuaruand, V.O.T., Adiukwu, P.A. Soil quality around a waste dumpsite in Port-Harcourt, Nigeria". African Journal Ecology, 44, 388-394, 2006.
-  Ukpong, E.C., Antigha, R.E., Moses, E.O. Assessment of Heavy Metals Content in Soils and Plants around Waste Dumpsites in Uyo Metropolis, Awka-Ibom State, Nigeria. The International Journal of Engineering Sciences, 2(7), 75-86, 2013.
-  FAO, A framework for land Evaluation. FAO Bulletin 32, FAO/UNESCO, 1976. France.
-  Sandeep, G. Influence of prolonged disposal of municipal solid waste on soil productivity factors. Journal of Applied and Natural Science, 2019, 11(4), 816-822
-  Bamidele, A.T., Onigbinde, M.W., Adebayo, O., Preye, E. Assessment of Heavy metals content and Physico-chemical properties in surface soil of municipal open waste dumpsites in Yenagoa, Nigeria. African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 2014, 8(1), 41-47
-  E. C. O. Omokpariola, D. O. Omokpariola, Weathering Profile of Schistose Rock from Geotechnical and Geochemical Parameters at Okpe, Igarra Schist Belt in Edo State, Nigeria. World Scientific News 154 (2021) 89-100
-  Dawit Yihunie, Afera Halefom, Investigation of groundwater potential zone using Geospatial Technology in Bahir Dar Zuria District, Amhara, Ethiopia. World Scientific News 146 (2020) 274-289
-  Francis Chizoruo Ibe, Benjamin Ekene Ibeachu, Metallic contaminant levels of borehole water sources within metal scrap dumpsites in Aboh Mbaise, Imo State, Nigeria. World Scientific News 144 (2020) 226-242
-  Mevayerore Daniel Igbini, Natural – Resource Curse, Niger Delta Crisis and Oil Exploration in Nigeria: A Theoretical Analysis. World Scientific News 141 (2020) 1-11
-  Harrison Charles Ekoh, Spatial Variation of Air Quality in Mpape Area of Abuja, Nigeria. World Scientific News 140 (2020) 79-112
-  K. G. Ugbena, A. C. Tse, Enuvie G. Akpokodje, Modeling Soluble Contaminant Migration by Advection Process in Subsurface Water in the Eastern Niger Delta, Nigeria. World Scientific News 139(2) (2020) 102-114
Publication order reference