A Two-step Hybrid Block Method for the Numerical Integration of Higher Order Initial Value Problems of Ordinary Differential Equations
Languages of publication
In this paper, a two-step implicit hybrid block multistep method is proposed for the approximate solution of higher order ordinary differential equations with a specification of fourth order. The study provides the use of both collocation and interpolation techniques to obtain the schemes. Direct form of power series is used as basis function for approximation solution. An order eight symmetric and zero-stable method is obtained. To implement our method, predictors of the same order of accuracy as the main method were developed using Taylor’s series algorithm. This implementation strategy is found to be efficient and more accurate as the result has shown in the numerical experiments. The result obtained confirmed the superiority of our method over existing methods.
-  Wu, X.J , Wang, Y. and Price, W. G, Multiple resonances, responses, and parametric instabilities in offshore structures, Journal of Ship Research, vol. 32, no. 4, (1988) pp. 285–296.
-  Lambert J.D, Computational Methods in ODEs. John Wiley & Sons, New York (1973)
-  Fatunla, S.O, Numerical Methods for Initial Value Problems in Ordinary Differential Equations; Academic Press Inc. Harcourt Brace, New York (1991)
-  Awoyemi, D.O, Algorithmic collocation methods for the direct solution of special and general fourth order initial value problems in ordinary differential equations. Inter. Journal of Computer Math. vol. 6, (2001) 271-218.
-  Awoyemi, D.O, A P- stable linear multistep method for solving general third order ordinary differential equations. International Journal of Computer Mathematics, vol. 80(8), (2003) 978-993
-  Awoyemi, D.O. and Kayode, S.J, An optimal order continuous multistep algorithm for initial value of special second order differential equations. Journal of the Nigeria Assocition of Mathematical Physics, vol. 6, (2002) 285-292.
-  Kayode, S.J, An order six zero-stable method for the direct solution of fourth order ordinary differential equations. America Journal of Applied Sciences, 5(11), (2008) 146
-  Kayode, S.J. and Awoyemi, D.O, A 5-step maximal order method for the direct solution of second order ordinary differential equations, Journal of the Nigerian Association of Mathematical Physics, vol. 4, (2005) 279-284.
-  Anake, T.A., Awoyemi, D.O and Adesanya, A.O, A one-step method for the solution of general second order ordinary differential equations. Inter Journal of Science and Technology, 2(4); (2012) 159-163.
-  Adesanya, A.O, Block Methods for the solution of higher order initial value problems in ordinary differential equations .Ph.D Thesis (unpublished), Federal University of Technology, Akure, Nigeria (2011)
-  Adesanya, A.O;Udoh, M.O; and Alkali, A.M, A new block predictor-corrector algorithms for the solution of y’” = f(x), y, y’, y”. The American Journal of Computational Mathematics, vol. 2 (4), (2012) 341-344.
-  Jator, S.N, On the numerical integration of third order boundary value problems by a linear multistep method. Inter. Journal of Pure and Applied Maths vol. 46 (3), (2008) 375-388
-  Jator, S.N, A sixth order linear multistep method for the direct solution of y” = f(x, y, y’). Inter. Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, 40(1), (2007) 457-472
-  Jator, S.N. and Li, J, A self-starting linear multistep methods for the direct solution of general second order initial value problems. Inter. Journal of Computer Math. 86(5), (2009) 817-836.
-  Mohammed, U, A Six-step Block Method for the Solution for Fourth Order Ordinary Differential Equation. The Pacific Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 10 (1), (2010) 259-265
-  Olabode, B.T. and Alabi. T.J, Direct Block Predictor- Corrector Methods for the solution of General Fourth Order ODEs. Journal of Mathematics Research, vol. 5(1), (2013) 26-33
-  Cortell, R, Application of the fourth-order Runge-Kutta method for the solution of high-order general initial value problems, Computers and Structures, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. (1993) 897–900.
-  Twizell, E.H, A family of numerical methods for the solution of high-order general initial value problems, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 67, no. 1, (1988) pp. 15–25
Publication order reference