Radiation levels of dumpsites within Imo State University, Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria
Languages of publication
With increasing population and human activities dumpsites experience diverse sources of waste with potential radiation hazards. Ionizing radiations have often been overlooked amongst researchers in third world countries and so information in this regards is lacking. In this study nine dumpsites within Imo State University (IMSU) were assessed for radiation levels using Geiger Muller counter Tube Mullard type ZP 1481 with assisted scalar and stop watch. After calibration the instrument was placed one meter above ground level and count rates recorded at 10 minutes interval for each location on one dumpsite in the morning afternoon and evening for seven days. Results reveal high dose equivalents in some morning periods than the afternoon and evening. ETF2 had highest value of 0.69±0.08 mSv•yr-1 while Extension gate had lowest value of 0.56±0.01 mSv•yr-1. Compared to National Council for Radiation Protection maximum permissible level theses values are only % respectively. In conclusion ionizing radiations levels at dumpsites studied in Imo State University are low and may not pose a threat to persons within the university
-  Adams, M.J., Hardenbergh, P.H., Costine, L.S., and Lipshultz, S.E. (2003). Radiation-associated cardiovascular disease. Crit. Rev. in Oncology/Hematology 45(1), 55-75
-  Adewale, O. O., Tubosun, I.A., and Ojo, J. O. (2015). Assessment of terrestrial naturally occurring radioactive material in soil and mine tailings of awo and ede, Osun-state, Nigeria. Ife Journal of Science 17(1), 199-209
-  Afolabi O. T., Deborah T. E., Bosun B., Benjamin A. F, James E. T. and Babakayode B. O. (2015). Radon level in a Nigerian University Campus. BMC Res Notes 8, 677.
-  Alaamer AS. (2008). Assessment of human exposures to natural sources of radiation in soil of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Turkish J. Eng. Env. Sci. 32, 229-234
-  Aten, A. H and Dejong, K. (1961). Measurement of low level Environmental Radiation using GM Counters with Observation in Amsterdam region. Physia 27, 809.
-  Bamidele, L. (2013). Measurement of Ionizing Radiation Level in an High Altitude Town of Imesi-Ile, Osun State, Southwestern, Nigeria. Environmental Research Journal 7(46), 79-82.
-  Borek, C. (2004) Antioxidants and Radiation. Therapy. Journal Nutrition 134(11), 3207-3209
-  Chang, W.P; Hwang, B.F; Wang, D and Wang, J.D. (1997). Cytogenetic Effect of Chronic Low-Dose, LowDose-Rate Gamma-Radiation in Residents of Irradiated Buildings, Lancet 350, 330-333
-  Darby S, Hill D, Auvinen A, Barros-Dios J.M, Baysson H, Bochicchio F, et al. (2005). Radon in homes and risk of lung cancer: collaborative analysis of individual data from 13 European case-control studies. BMJ 330, 223
-  Ebong, I.D.U and Alagoa, K.D. (1992). Estimates of a- ray background air exposure at the fertilizer plant, port Harcourt. Discovery and innovation, 4: 68
-  Faiz, M. K (1994). The Physics of Radiation Therapy. Second Edition: published LIPPINCOTT WILLIAMS & WILKINS.
-  Faweya E.B, Babalola A.I. (2010). Radiological safety assessment and occurrence of heavy metals in soil from designated waste dumpsites used for building and composting in Southwestern Nigeria. The Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering 35(2A), 219-225
-  Hunt, S.E. (1987). Nuclear Physics for Engineers and Scientists (low energy theory with applications including reactors and their environmental impact), Ellis Horwood Ltd, Chichester, p. 341
-  International Atomic Energy Agency, IAEA (2011). Radioactive particles in the environment: sources, particle characterization and analytical techniques. Pp. 1-10.
-  Kwan-Hoong Ng (2003). Non-Ionizing Radiations – Sources, Biological Effects, Emissions and Exposures. Proceedings of the International Conference on Non-Ionizing Radiation at UNITEN ICNIR2003 Electromagnetic Fields and Our Health.
-  Klement, A.W., Miller, C.R., Miux, R.P. and Shleien, B., (1972). Estimates of ionizing radiation doses in the United States 1960-2000, US Environmental Protection Agency Report ORP/CSD721
-  National Council on Radiation Protection (NCRP), (1976). Recommendations of Natioal Council on Radiation Protection and Measurement Report No. 50, NCRP publication office, Washington DC.
-  Olubosede O, Akinnagbe OB, Adekoya O. (2012). Assessment of radiation emission from waste dumpsites in Lagos State of Nigeria. International Journal of Computational Engineering Research 2(3): 806-811
-  Odeyemi A.T. (2012). Antibiogram status of bacterial isolates from air around dumpsite of Ekiti State destitute centre at Ilokun, Ado-Ekiti, Nigeria. Journal of Microbiology Research 2(2), 12-18
-  Sigalo, F.B (2000). Estimate of ionizing Radiation Levels within the premises of Western Atlas International (Nig.) Ltd, (Western Geophysical), Trans Amadi Industrial Layout, Port Harcourt, Nigeria, p. 2.
-  Sigalo, F.B., and Briggs-Kamara, M.A., (2004). Estimates of ionizing radiation levels within selected rivierine communities of the niger delta. Journal of Nigerian Environmental Society (2)2, 159-162
-  Temaugee S.T., Daniel T.A., Oladejo K.O, and Daniel S. (2014). Assessment of Public Awareness of the Detrimental Effects of Ionizing Radiation in Kontagora, Niger State, Nigeria. International Journal of Science and Technology 4(7), 2224-3577
-  Ugochukwu K. O., Ijeoma D., Chidiezie C., Christiana G. and Chiamaka C. (2015). Characterization of Radiation Exposure Dose Rate from Waste Dumpsites within Owerri, Nigeria: An Atmospheric Concern. British Journal of Applied Science & Technology 11(3), 1-9.
-  UNSCEAR (2008). Sources and Effects of Ionizing Radiation. United Nations Committee on Effects of Atomic Radiation. Report to the general Assembly with Scientific Annexes. Volume II, Annexes C, D and E.
-  Verla E. N., Verla A. W., Ugwulor L. (2015). Seasonal Variation Of Heavy Metals In Playgrounds Of Public Schools Within Owerri Metropolis, Imo State, Nigeria. International Letters of Chemistry, Physics and Astronomy, 50, 61-70
-  Wikipedia (2017). Campus Definition. Retrieved 10/03/2017 from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campus.
-  Yehuwdah E. C, Martins A, Soibi O. H. (2006). Evaluation of Indoor Background Ionizing Radiation Profile Of A Physics Laboratory. Working and Living Environmental Protection, 3(1), 1-8
Publication order reference