On the way to the statistics’ quality. Quality as a challenge of public statistics in Poland
Languages of publication
This article concerns a big challenge of public statistics, which is to find a balance between the ability to meet the ever growing data users’ needs and maintaining high standards of quality of data available. The starting point for reflections on this area is to define widely understood standards of quality statistics, from the perspective of both data producers and users. The authors of the article refer to key documents governing the system of statistics quality at an international level, as well as in Poland. They also emphasize the need to exchange information on quality between data producers and users as well as the opportunities that dialogue creates to the process of improving statistical products. At the same time, they point out that high quality of statistical data, defined by such attributes as: relevance, accuracy, timeliness and punctuality, accessibility and clarity, comparability and coherence gives users the opportunity for an accurate, reliable and in-depth data analysis. Against this background, the article includes examples of the antinomy that may occur in the process of developing individual attributes. In conclusion, the authors emphasize an international aspect of statistical quality, continuity of processes aimed at improving quality and an important role of data users in those processes.
-  GUS, Kierunki rozwoju polskiej statystyki publicznej do 2017 r., Warszawa, 2012.
-  Eurostat, Methodologies and working papers: ESS Handbook for Quality Reports, 2009.
-  Eurostat, Quality Assurance Framework of the European Statistical System, version 1.1., 2012, http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/64157/4392716/qaf_2012-en.pdf/8bcff303-68da-43d9-aa7d-325a5bf7fb42.
-  Quality Declaration of the European Statistical System, Luksemburg, 2001.
-  Leadership Group on Quality recommendations, Summary Report from LEG on Quality, Luksemburg, 2001, http://www.istat.it/it/files/2011/11/LEG-on-quality.pdf.
-  Eurostat, European Statistical Code of Practice, Luksemburg, 2011, http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/products-manuals-and-guidelines/-/KS-32-11-955
-  https://www.bcc.org.pl/.../Statystyka_publiczna_i_dzialalnosc_GUS_w_opiniach.
-  GUS, Analiza wyników badania satysfakcji z elementami badania potrzeb użytkowników korzystających z informacji statystycznych w roku 2013, Warszawa, 2014.
-  Working Group "Assessment of quality in statistics", Sixth meeting, Luxembourg, 2-3, October 2003.
Publication order reference