Defence Efficacy in Practice and Competition. A Case Study in Women’s Volleyball
Languages of publication
The aim of this study was to compare the player positions, situations, techniques, and efficacy in defence between practice and competition for a women’s professional volleyball team. The sample was a Spanish professional women’s volleyball team. The defence actions carried out in three sessions of the competitive season and two in-season matches were studied (794 rallies in practice and 166 rallies in competition). The variables studied were: actions done, defence zone, player role, type of attack, court defence technique, game phase, situations, level of execution of the defence team system, block efficacy, defence efficacy, and result of the rally for the analysed team. Descriptive and inferential analyses of the data were done (Mann-Whitney U, and Chi-Square Test and likelihood ratio). Differences in defence systems and efficacies were found between practice and competition. A higher collective efficacy was found in competition, and higher levels of individual block and defence efficacies were found in practice. The results show the need to reconsider the way match analysis is done. Consideration should not only be given to the actions done with the ball when analysing players’ performance.
- Anguera M.T. Observational methods (general). In: Encyclopedia of Psychological Assessment, 2. Sage, ed. R. Fernández-Ballesteros. London 2003: 632–637.
- Beniscelli V., Tenenbaum G., Schinke R.J., Torregrosa M. Perceived distributed effort in team ball sports. Journal of sports sciences. 2014; 32 (8): 710–721.
- Carling C.J., Reilly T., Williams A.M. Performance assessment for field sports: Physiological, psychological and match notational assessment in practice. Taylor & Francis, London 2008.
- Coleman J.E., Neville B., Gordon B. A statistical system for volleyball and its use in Chicago Women’s Assn. International Volleyball Review. 1969; 17: 72–73.
- Douglas K., Fox K.R. Performance and practice of elite women European tour golfers during a pressure and a non-pressure putting simulation. In: Science and golf IV. Ed. E. Thain. Routledge, London 2012: 246–256.
- Drikos S., Vagenas G. Multivariate assessment of selected performance indicators in relation to the type and result of a typical set in men’s elite volleyball. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport. 2011; 11 (1): 85–95.
- Eccles D.W., Tran K.B. Getting them on the same page: Strategies for enhancing coordination and communication in sports teams. Journal of Sport Psychology in Action. 2012; 3 (1): 30–40.
- Edwards D., Kurlander L.S. Women’s intercollegiate volleyball and tennis: Effects of warm-up, competition, and practice on saliva levels of cortisol and testosterone. Hormones and Behavior. 2010; 58 (4): 606–613.
- FIVB. Official volleyball rules 2012–2016. Fédération Internationale de Volleyball, Lausanne 2012.
- Gabbett T.J. Do skill-based conditioning games offer a specific training stimulus for junior elite volleyball players? The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2008; 22 (2): 509–517.
- González C., Ureña A., Llop F., Garcia J.M., Martin A., Navarro F. Physiological characteristics of libero and central volleyball players. Biology of Sport. 2005; 22 (1): 13–27.
- Häkkinen K. Changes in physical fitness profile in female volleyball players during the competitive season. The Journal of sports medicine and physical fitness. 1993; 33 (3): 223–232.
- Hernández-Hernández E., Ureña A., Miranda M.T., Oña A. Kinetic analysis of volleyball setting cues that affect anticipation in blocking. Journal of Human Movement Studies. 2004; 47: 285–301.
- Liebermann D.G., Katz L., Hughes M.D., Bartlett R.M., McClements J., Franks I.M. Advances in the application of information technology to sport performance. Journal of Sports Sciences. 2002; 20 (10): 755–769.
- Marques M.C., van den Tillaar R., Vescovi J.D., González-Badillo J.J. Changes in strength and power performance in elite senior female professional volleyball players during the in-season: a case study. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2008; 22 (4): 1147–1155.
- Martens R. Successful coaching. Human Kinetics, Champaign 2012.
- Nash C.S., Sproule J., Horton P. Excellence in coaching: The art and skill of elite practitioners. Research quarterly for exercise and sport. 2011; 82 (2): 229–238.
- Palao J.M., Morante J.C. Chapter 17. Technical effectiveness. In: Routledge Handbook of Sports Performance Analysis, eds. T. McGarry, P. O’Donoghue, J. Sampaio. Routledge, London 2013: 213–224.
- Palao J.M. Incidencia de los complejos de juego y la posición del colocador sobre el rendimiento en competición [Effect of game phases and setter position on volleyball performance in competition]. Rendimiento Deportivo. 2004; 9: 42–52.
- Palao J.M, Hernández-Hernández E. Game statistical system and criteria used by Spanish volleyball coaches. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport. 2014; 14 (2): 564–573.
- Palao J.M, Santos J.A., Ureña, A. Effect of the manner of spike execution on spike performance in volleyball. International Journal of Performance Analysis of Sport. 2007; 7 (2): 126–138.
- Palao J.M., Santos J.A., Ureña A. Effect of team level on skill performance in volleyball. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport. 2004; 4 (2): 50–60.
- Peña J., Rodríguez-Guerra J., Buscà B., Serra N. Which skills and factors better predict winning and losing in high-level men’s volleyball?. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2013; 27 (9): 2487–2493.
- Selinger A., Ackermann-Blount J. Arie Selinger’s power volleyball. St. Martin’s Press, New York 1986.
- Thiess G., Tschiene P., Nickel N. Teoría y metodología de la competición deportiva [Theory and methodologoy of sport competition]. Paidotribo, Barcelona, 2004.
- Travassos B., Duarte R., Vilar L., Davids K., Araújo D. Practice task design in team sports: Representativeness enhanced by increasing opportunities for action. Journal of Sports Sciences. 2012; 30 (13): 1447–1454.
- van de Pol P.K., Kavussanu M. Achievement motivation across training and competition in individual and team sports. Sport, Exercise, and Performance Psychology. 2012; 1 (2): 91–105.
- Zetou E., Moustakidis A., Tsigilils N., Komminakidou A. Does effectiveness of skill in complex I predict win in men’s Olympic volleyball games? Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports. 2007; 3 (4): Article 3.
Publication order reference