Performance Analysis of Empirical Radio Propagation Models in Wireless Cellular Networks
Languages of publication
This paper presents the performance analysis of different empirical radio propagation models used in wireless cellular networks. It particular, the parameters such as path loss and cell coverage area are studied for different cellular networks from second generation (2G) to fifth generation (5G). Accurate prediction of path loss and coverage area is highly desirable for planning of any wireless communication systems. Considering the urban terrain, the comparison is made between Hata model, Stanford University Interim (SUI) model, and modified SUI models. As a motivation for new millimeter wave (mm-wave) cellular systems, i.e., for 5G communication, the analysis is performed at 28 GHz. Considering -75 dBm as the desired minimum received power, it is observed that 2G communication (at 900 MHz using Hata model) experiences the lowest path loss and thus results into largest coverage area. The path loss is observed to be maximum for the future mm-wave systems (at 28 GHz using modified SUI model) that directly imply the smallest coverage area.
-  Shabbir, N., Sadiq, M.T., Kashif, H., Ullah, R.: Comparison of Radio Propagation Models for Long Term Evolution (LTE) Network. arXiv: 1110.1519, (2011)
-  Katev, P.D.: Propagation Model for WiMAX at 3.5 GHz. In: IEEE-Elektro 2012 Conference, pp. 61-65, Slovakia (2012).
-  Abhayawardhana, V.S., Wassell, I.J., Crosby, D., Sellars, M.P., Brown, M.G.: Comparison of Empirical Propagation Path Loss Models for Fixed Wireless Access Systems. In: IEEE 61st Vehicular Technology Conference, pp. 73-77, Sweden (2005).
-  Nassar, A.T., Sulyman, A.I., Alsanie, A.: Achievable RF Coverage and System Capacity using Millimeter Wave Cellular Technologies in 5G Networks. In: IEEE 27th Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE), pp. 1-6, Canada (2014)
-  Sulyman, A.I., Nassar, A.T., Samini, M.K., Jr., G.R.M., Rappaport, T.S., Alsanie, A.: Radio Propagation Path Loss Models for 5G Cellular Networks in the 28 GHz and 38 GHz Millimeter-Wave Bands. IEEE Commun. Mag. 52, 78-86 (2014)
-  Rappaport, T.S., Sun, S., Mayzus, R., Zhao, H., Azar, Y., Wang, K., Wong, G.N., Schulz, J.K., Samini, M., Gutierrez, F.: Millimeter Wave Mobile Communications for 5G Cellular: It Will Work! IEEE Access 1, 335-349 (2013).
-  Nassar, A.T., Sulyman, A.I., Alsanie, A.: Radio Capacity Estimation for Millimeter Wave 5G Cellular Networks Using Narrow Beamwidth Antennas at the Base Station. Int. J. Antennas Propag. 2015, 1-6, (2015)
Publication order reference