Novel Sacrificial Medicinal Repositories: Halfa grass, Desmostachya bipinnata (L.) and Cogon grass, Imperata cylindrica (L.)
Languages of publication
Grasses are the most successful plants on earth as monocotyledonous plants. They have been a survivor on the planet despite of various ecological changes. They deserve the medicinal value and therefore considered as novel repositories. The grass family is considered as sacred. It has great significance in ayurveda because of medicinal as well as clinical properties. The Desmostachya bipinnata (L.) (commonly recognized as halfa grass, big cordgrass, and salt reed-grass) and Imperata cylindrica (L.) (commonly recognized as cogon grass, kunai grass, blady grass, alang-alang, lalang grass, cotton wool grass, kura-kura ) are the two grasses that constitute vital ingredient in various Vedic sacrifices (Yagnas) and rituals. These two grasses are found along river beds and plains throughout India. Both of them are well known for their medicinal properties as supported by traditional Ayurvedic scriptures. They are the vital component in traditional medicinal formulations such as Tripan chamool, Kusadya-ghrita and Kusablecha, that are used to treat many disorders such as dysentery, diuresis, jaundice, skin infections like disesses. The present attempt is current review enlightening the bioactive molecules such as flavonoids, glycosides isolated from these two grasses. The ecological monitoring is one of the essential strategy required for the conservation of biodiversity of the medicinal plants.
- Sericulture Unit, Malegaon Sheti Farm, Agricultural Development Trust Baramati, Shardanagar, (Malegaon Khurd) Post Box No - 35, Baramati, Pune - 413 115, Maharashtra, India
- Shardabai Pawar Mahila Mahavidyalaya, Shardanagar Malegaon Baramati, Pune - 413 115, Maharashtra, India
- Head, Department of Zoology, Indapur Taluka Shikshan Prasarak Mandal Art's Science And Commerce College, Indapur Ta: Indapur Dist: Pune - 413106 And Chairman, Board of Studies in Zoology, Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune - 411 007, India
-  Abiodun OO, Gbotosho GO, Ajaiyeoba EO, Brun R,Oduola AM. 2012. Antitrypanosomal activity of some medicinal plants from Nigerian ethnomedicine. Parasitol Res. 110: 521-526.
-  Ahmad R., Shaikh A.S. (January–June 2003). Common Weeds of Wheat and Their Control. Pakistan Journal of Water Resources 7 (1): 73–76
-  Amani SA, Nawal HM, Derek JM, Gamal AS. 2008. Anti-ulcerogenic activity of extract and some isolated flavonoids from Desmostachya bipinnata (L.) Stapf. Res Nat Prod 3: 76–82
-  Anonymous. 2000. The Ayurvedic Formulary of India, Part (II), Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Department of Indian System of Medicine and Homeopathy, Govt. of India, New Delhi, India.
-  Bennett, D. 2006. Cogongrass, deep-rooted sedge in Mississippi Delta. Delta Farm Press Oct 19, 2006 news story. https://www.sms.si.edu/irlspec/Imperata_cylindrica.htm
-  Bhalla PP. 2006. Hindu Rites, Rituals, Customs and Traditions:A to Z on the Hindu way of life. Pustak Mahal, India.
-  Bhat VS. 2005. Chemistry of natural products. Springer, UK.
-  Brook RM. 1989. Review of literature on Imperata cylindrica (L.) Raeuschel with particular reference to South East Asia. Trop Pest Manage 35: 12-25.
-  Cerdeira AL, Cantrell CL, Dayan FE, Byrd JD, Duke SO. 2012. Tabanone, a new phytotoxic constituent of Cogongrass (Imperata cylindrica). Weed Science 60: 212 - 218.
-  Dalziel JM. 1948. The useful plants of west tropical Africa. Crown Agents, London, UK.
-  Datta S, Banerjee A. 1978. Useful weeds of West Bengal rice fields. Econ Bot 32: 297-310.
-  Dozier H, Gaffney JF, McDonald SK, Johnson ERRL, Shilling DG. 1998. Cogongrass in the United States: history, ecology, impacts, and management. Weed Technol 12: 737-743.
-  Garimella S, Kudle KS, Prashanthi Y, Balla D, Preethi KS, Merugu R. 2014. Biogenic synthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticles using Desmostachya bipinnata. Nanosci Nanotechnol 4: 28-31.
-  Garrity DP. 1996/1997. Special Issue: Agroforestry innovations for Imperata grassland rehabilitation. Agroforestry Syst. 36: 1-284.
-  Golla UR, Gajam PK, Raj BSS. 2013. The effect of Desmostachya bipinnata (Linn.) extract on physiologically altered glycemic status in non-diabetic rats. J Med Sci 13: 221-225.
-  Golla UR, Gajam PK, Mohammad AR, Kumar AK, Raj BSS. 2011. Assessment of bioactivity of Desmostachya bipinnata (l.) Stapf using brine shrimp (Artemia salina) lethality assay. Pharmacologyonline 3: 982-990.
-  Golla UR, Raj BSS. 2014. Evaluation of antioxidant and DNA damage protection activity of the hydroalcoholic extract of Desmostachya bipinnata L. Stapf. The Scientific World J 1-8.
-  Golla UR, Gajam PK, Raj BSS. 2014. Evaluation of diuretic and laxative activity of hydroalcoholic extract of Desmostachya bipinnata (L.) Stapf in rats. J Int Med 12: 372-378.
-  Hegde MM, Lakshman K, Girija K, Ashok Kumar BS, Lakshmiprasanna V. 2010. Assessment of antidiarrhoeal activity of Desmostachya bipinnata L. (Poaceae) root extracts. Bol Latinoam Caribe Plant Med Aromat 9: 312-318.
-  Hifnawy MS, El-Hyatmy YY, Kenawy SA, Yossef AK, Awaad AS. 1999. Carbohydrate, lipid, protein and amino acid contents of Chenopodium murale, Cyperus alopecuroids, Desmostachya bipinnata and Tamaric nilotica as allergic plants. Bull Fac Cairo Univ 37: 99-106.
-  Holm LG, Pucknett DL, Pancho JB, Herberger JP. 1977. The World’s Worst Weeds. Distribution and biology. Univ. Press of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii.
-  Hubbard CE. 1944. Imperata cylindrica. Taxonomy, distribution, economic significance, and control. Imp. Agric. Bur. Joint Publ. No. 7, Imperial Bureau Pastures and Forage Crops, Aberystwyth, Wales. Great Britton.
-  Jayalakshmi S, Mishra A, Mishra A, Singlab RK, Ghosh AK. 2011. In-vitro Evaluation of antioxidant activity of five drugs of Trinpanchmool. Pharmacologyonline 2: 1153-1159.
-  Rahate KP, Rajasekaran A, Arulkumaran KSG. 2011. Potential of Desmostachya bipinnata Stapf. (Poaceae) root extracts in inhibition of cell proliferation of cervical cancer cell lines. Int J Res Pharm Sci 3: 5-11.
-  Kirtikar KR, Basu BD. 1918. Indian medicinal plants. 4th vol. International book distributors book sellers and publishers, Dehradun, India .
-  Kishore Nr, Mangilal T, Anjaneyulu N, Abhinayani G, Sravya N. 2014. Investigation of antiurolithiatic activity of Brassica oleracea gongylodes and Desmostachya bipinnata in experimentally induced urolithiasis in animal models. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 6: 602-604.
-  Koh KH, Tham FY. 2011. Screening of traditional chinese medicinal plants for quorum-sensing inhibitors activity. J Microbiol Immunol Infect 44: 144-148.
-  Kuete V, Sandjo LP, Wiench B, Efferth T. 2013. Cytotoxicity and modes of action of four Cameroonian dietary spices ethno-medically used to treat cancers: Echinops giganteus, Xylopia aethiopica, Imperata cylindrica and Piper capense. J Ethnopharmacol 149: 245-253.
-  Kuetea V, Krusche B, Youns B, Voukeng I, Fankam AG, Tankeo S, Lacmata S, Efferth T. 2011. Cytotoxicity of some Cameroonian spices and selected medicinal plant extract. J Ethnopharmacol 134: 803-812.
-  Kumar AK, Sharvanee, Patel J, Choudhary RK. 2010. Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of the essential oil of Desmostachya bipinnata (Linn.). Int J Phyt Med 2: 436-439,
-  Lee DY, Han KM, Song MC, Lee DG, Rho YD, Baek NI, 2008. A new lignan glycoside from the rhizomes of Imperata cylindrica. J Asian Nat Prod Res 10: 299-302.
-  Liu RH, Fu LN, Chen LY, Ren G, Chen SS, Chen Z. 2010. Chemical constituents and pharmacology study of Imperata cylindrical rhizomes. J Jiangxi Univ Tradit Chin Med 22: 80-83.
-  Liu X, Zhang BF, Yang L, Chou GX, Wang ZT. 2014. Four new compounds from Imperata cylindrica. J Nat Med 68: 295-301.
-  Lucardi RD, Wallace LE, Ervin GN. 2014. Evaluating hybridization as a potential facilitator of successful cogongrass (Imperata cylindrica) invasion in Florida, USA. Biol Invasions 16: 2147-2161.
-  Mahdihassan S. 1987. Three important vedic grasses. Ind J Hist Sci 22: 286-291.
-  Matsunaga K, Ikeda M, Shibuya M, Ohizuni Y. 1994. Cylindol A, a novel biphenyl ether with 5- lipoxygenase inhibitory activity, and a related compound from Imperata cylindrica. J Nat Prod 57: 1290-1293.
-  Matsunaga K, Shibuya M, Ohizuni Y. Graminone B, a novel lignan with vasodilative activity from Imperata cylindrica. J Nat Prod 57: 1734-1736.
-  McDonald SK, Shilling DG, Okoli CAN, Bewick TA, Gordon D, Hall D, Smith R. 1996. Population dynamics of cogongrass. Proc. South. Weed Sci. Soc. 49: 156.
-  MacDonald G.E., Brecke B.J., Gaffney J.F., Langeland K.A., Ferrell J.A., and B.A. Sellers. 2006. Cogongrass (Imperata cylindrica (L.) Beauv.) biology, ecology and management in Florida. IFAS/UF document SS-AGR-52. https://www.sms.si.edu/irlspec/Imperata_cylindrica.htm
-  Mohamed GA, Lateff AA, Fouad MA, Ibrahim SRM, Elkhayat ES, Okino T. 2009. Chemical composition and hepato-protective activity of Imperata cylindrica Beauv. Phcog Mag 5: 28-36.
-  Nishimoto K, Ito M, Natori S. 1968. The structures of arundoin, cylindrin, and fernenol, Tetrahedron. 24: 725.
-  Packialakshmi N, Alwin. 2014. Analysis of phytochemical and high performance liquid chromatography in Desmostachya bipinnata. BMR Biotechnol. 1: 1-6.
-  Parvathy NG, Padma R, Renjith V, Rahate KP, Saranya TS. Phytochemical screening and anthelmintic activity of methanolic extract of Imperata Cylindrica. Int J Pharm Pharmaceut Sci 4: 232-234.
-  Potter L, Lee J, Thorburn K. 2000. Reinventing Imperata: revaluing alang-alang grasslands in Indonesia. Dev Change 31: 1037–1053.
-  Prajapati ND, Purohit SS, Sharma AK, Kumar T. 2003. Handbooks of medicinal plants (A complete Source Book). Agrobios, India.
-  Rahman HMA, Bashir S, Gilani AH. 2012. Calcium channel blocking activity in Desmostachya bipinnata (L.) explains its use in gut and airways disorders. Phytother Res 27: 678 -684.
-  Ramadan MA, Safwat NA. 2009. Antihelicobacter activity of a flavonoid compound isolated from Desmostachya bipinnata. Aust J Basic Appl Sci 3: 2270-2277.
-  Rong-hua L, Sheng CS, Gang RG, Feng S, Lian HH. 2013. Phenolic Compounds from Roots of Imperata cylindrica var. major. Chin Herb Med 5: 240-243.
-  Samuelsson G. 1999. Drugs of Natural Origin: A Textbook of Pharmacognosy. Apotekarsocieteten, Sweden.
-  Shakila, R. ; Arul Antony S. and Gopakumar K. (2015). Phytochemical studies on Desmostachya bipinnata Root Stock. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences 2015 Jan; 6(1): (P) 305-310.
-  Shrestha S, Lyu HN, Park JH, Lee DY, Cho JG, Cui EJ, Chung IS, Baek NI. 2011. Sterols from the leafy culms of Desmostachya bipinnata. Chem Nat Compd 47: 852-853.
-  Shrestha S, Park JH, Lee DY, Cho JG, Cui EJ, Chung IS, Kwon BM, Cho MH, Jeong TS, Baek NI. 2011. A new Xanthene from Desmostachya bipinnata (L.) Stapf inhibits signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3) and low-density lipoprotein-oxidation. J Kor Soc Appl Biol Chem 54: 308-311.
-  Singh A, Saharan VA, Bhandari A. 2014. Pharmacognostic standardization with various plant parts of Desmostachya bipinnata. Pharm Biol 52: 298-307.
-  Singh A, Saharan VA, Kumawat I, Veerma R, Bhandari A. 2014. Anti-histaminic Activity of Desmostachya bipinnata. J Biol Active Prod Nat 4: 7-15.
-  Singh D, Swarnkar CP, Khan FA. 2002. Anthelmintic resistance in gastrointestinal Nematodes in livestock. Ind J Vet Parasitol 16: 115-130.
-  Sivaranjan VV, Indira B. 1994. Ayurvedic drugs and their plant sources. Oxford & IBH publishing co. Pvt. ltd, New Delhi, India.
-  Subramaniam S, Keerthiraja M, Sivasubramanian A. 2014. Synergistic antibacterial action of β- sitosterol-D-glucopyranoside isolated from Desmostachya bipinnata leaves with antibiotics against common human pathogens. Rev Bras Farmacogn. 24: 44-50.
-  Su CX, Teng TT, Alkarkhi AFM, Low LW. 2014 . Imperata cylindrical (Cogongrass) as an adsorbent for methylene blue dye removal: Process optimization. Water Air Soil Pollut. 225: 1941.
-  Vitthalrao B. Khyade (2018). Use of Herbal Terpenoid for topical application to fifth instars of silkworm, Bombyx mori (L). Abstract book: International Conference On Doubling the Farmers Income through Innovative Approaches, 9 – 11 April, 2018 at Agricultural Development Trust’s Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Baramati, Pune.
-  Vitthalrao B. Khyade and Sidney Altman (2018). Use of Herbal Terpenoid for topical application to fifth instars of silkworm, Bombyx mori (L). International Academic Journal of Science and Engineering Volume 5, Issue 3, July-September 2018
-  Vitthalrao B. Khyade and Manfred Eigen (2018). Key Role of Statistics for the Fortification of Concepts in Agricultural Studies. International Academic Journal of Innovative Research Vol. 5, No. 3, 2018, pp. 32-46.
-  Xuan L, Feng ZB, Li Y, Xin CG, Tao WZ. 2013. Two new chromones and a new flavones glycoside from Imperata cylindrica. Chin J Nat Med. 11: 77-80.
-  Yoon JS, Lee MK, Sung SH, Kim YC. 2006. Neuroprotective 2-(2-phenylethyl) chromones of Imperata cylindrica. J Nat Prod 69: 290-291.
-  Yue X, Hou Z, Liu P, Wang S. 2006. Antiinflammatory effect of Imperata Cylindrica. Chin J Clin Rehab 10: 85-87.
-  Zain ME, Awaad AS, Othman MRA, Al-Dosary SK. 2014. Antibacterial, antifungal activity and phytochemical analysis of some desert plants against human pathogenic bacteria and fungi. Life Sci J 11: 343-349.
Publication order reference