Effect of Extract-Fractions of Balanites aegyptiaca Fruit-Mesocarp on Glucose Metabolizing Enzymes in Diabetic Rats
Languages of publication
Several antidiabetic medicinal plants has shown to exhibit one of more mechanisms to low blood glucose. Balanites aegyptiaca fruit extract has shown to low blood glucose via some of the mechanisms but whether the fruit extract could stimulate glycolysis, glycogenesis, and inhibit gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis are not fully clear. Hence, the need to evaluate the plant extract on the activities of enzymes in glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, glycogenolysis and glycogenesis in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Ethanol extract of defatted Balanites aegyptiaca fruit-mesocarp was petition with water and ethyl acetate (1:1 v/v) then separated. Aqueous and ethyl acetate fractions obtained were separately administered to streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats daily for 28 days period. Results of the study showed that treating diabetic rats with either aqueous or ethyl acetate fractions of ethanol extract of Balanites aegyptiaca fruit-mesocarp exert significant regulatory effect on the activities of some key hepatic enzymes of glucose metabolism. The aqueous fraction (AFF) in particular enhances glucokinase activity (from 2.22±0.02 to 3.58±0.05 U/min/mg protein) and G6PDH activity (from 1.45±0.02 to 2.10±0.02 U/min/mg protein) but suppressed glucose-6-phosphatase (from 1.44±0.05 to 0.17±0.00 U/min/µmole Pi liberated) among others. In conclusion, ethanol-aqueous fraction of Balanites aegyptiaca fruit-mesocarp exert glucose enzymes regulatory effect by enhancing glucokinase and G6PDH activity but suppressed gluconeogenic enzymes possibly to low blood glucose in diabetic rats. Further research is needed to explore the plant extract (ethanol-aqueous fraction) in order to ascertain the bioactive hidden compounds.
- Department of Biochemistry, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Bauchi, PMB 0248, Bauchi, Nigeria
- Department of Pediatric, Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital Zaria, PMB 06 Shika, Nigeria
- Department of Biochemistry, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, PMB 1045 Nigeria
- Department of Biochemistry, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, PMB 1045 Nigeria
-  Soliman MM, Ahmed MM, El-Shazly SM. Cinnamon extract regulates gene expression of lipid and carbohydrate metabolism in streptozotocin induced diabetic wistar rats. American Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology 9(2) (2013) 172-182.
-  Abdollahi, M., Donyavi, M., Pournourmohammadi, S., and Saadat, M. Hyperglycemia associated with increased hepatic glycogen phosphorylase and phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase in rats following subchronic exposure to Malathion. Complimentary Biochemistry, Physiology and Toxicology Pharmacology, 137(2004a) 343–347.
-  Atefi, M., Ghazanfari, S., Ostad, S.N., Ghahremani, M.H., and Abdollahi, M. Alteration of glucose homeostasis by rolipram and milrinone but not sildenafil in rat primary hepatocytes culture. Progess in Medical Research, 2(13) (2005) 1-12.
-  Skim, F., Lazrek, H.B., Kaaya, A., El-Amri, H., and Jana, M. Pharmacological studies of two antidiabetic plants: Globulria alypun and Zypophyllum gaetulumm, Therapie, 54(6) (1999) 711-715.
-  Hers, H.G. Mechanisms of blood glucose homeostasis. Journal of Inherit Metabolism Disease, 13(4) (1999) 395-410.
-  Nordlie, R.C., Foster, J.D., and Lange, A.J. Regulation of glucose production by the liver. Annual Review of Nutrition, 19 (1999): 379-406. doi:10.1146/annurev.nutr.19.1.379
-  Abdollahi, M., Saadat, M., Pournourmohammadi, S., Donyavi, M., Khorasani R, Amin, M. Alteration of rat hepatic glycogen phosphorylase and phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase activities by Satureja khuzestanica Jamzad essential oil. Journal of Pharmacy Pharmaceutical Science, 7(3) (2004b) 310-314.
-  Agius, L. New hepatic targets for glycemic control in diabetes mellitus. Best Practise and Research, Clininical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 21(4) (2007) 587-605
-  Zarmouh, K.S., Muftah, M., Viswanathan, S., and Kumar, P.G. Cause and effect of Plumbago zeylanica root extract on blood glucose and hepatic enzymes in experimental diabetic rats. African Journal of Microbiology Research, 4(24) (2010) 2674-2677.
-  Parka, H., Junga, U.J., Choa, S., Junga, H., Shimd, S., and Choi, M. Citrus unshiu peel extract ameliorates hyperglycemia and hepatic steatosis by altering inflammation and hepatic glucose-and lipid-regulating enzymes in db/db mice. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, 24(2) (2013) 419-427.
-  Farsi, E., Ahmad, M., Hor, S.Y., Ahamed, M.B.K., Yam, M.F., and Asmawi, Z.M. Standardized extract of Ficus deltoidea stimulates insulin secretion and blocks hepatic glucose production by regulating the expression of glucose-metabolic genes in streptozitocin-induced diabetic rats. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 14 (2014) 220.
-  Kolawale OT, Akanji MA. Effects of extract of leaves of Newbouldia laevis on the activities of some enzymes of hepatic glucose metabolism in diabetic rats. African Journal of Biotechnology, 13(22) (2014) 2273-228.
-  Hall, J.B., and Waljer, D.H. Balanies aegyptiaca Del. A Monograph School of Agricultural and Fores Science. Banger: University of Wales: (1991):1-2.
-  Hall, J.B. Ecology of a key African multipurpose tree species Balanites aegyptiaca Del. The state of knowledge. Forest Ecological Management, 50 (1992) 1-30.
-  Chothani D L and Vaghasiya HU. A review on Balanites aegyptiaca Del (desert date): phytochemical constituents, traditional uses, and pharmacological activity. Pharmacogen Rev. 5(9) (2011) 55-62.
-  Samir AM, Zaahkouk S, Rashid ZA, Mattar AF. Anti – diabetic properties of water and ethanolic extract of Balanites aegyptiaca fruits flesh in senile diabetic rats. Egyptian Journal of Hospital Medicine, 10 (2003): 90108.
-  George DH, Ali HK, El Abbas OA. Evaluation of the biological activity of Balanites aegyptiaca Del Saponin in the control of type 11 diabetes mellitus on rats and the growth of Escherichia coli. Ahfad J. Women Change, 23 (2006) 2.
-  Eman Helal GE, Abd El-Wahab SM, El Refaey H, Mohammad AA. Antidiabetic and antihyperlipidemic effect of Balanites aegyptiaca Seeds (Aqueous Extract) on diabetic rats. The Egyptian Journal of Hospital Medicine, 52 (2013) 725–739.
-  Ezzat SM, Abdel Motaal A, El-Awdan SAW. In vitro and in vivo antidiabetic potential of extract and a furostanol saponin from Balanites aegyptiaca. Pharmaceutical Biology, 55(1) (2017) 19311936.
-  Motaal AA, Shaker S, Haddad PS. Antidiabetic activity of standardized extract of Balanites aegyptiaca Fruits using cellbased bioassays. Parmacognosy Journal, 4(30) (2012) 20-24. 11.
-  Gad MZ, El-Sawalhi MM, Ismail MF, ElTanbouly ND. Biochemical study of the anti-diabetic action of the Egyptian plants Fenugreek and Balanites. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, 281 (2006) 173–183.
-  Gawade B, Farooqui M. Investigation of phytochemical and alpha amylase inhibition activity of Balanites aegyptiaca leaves. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences. 9(1) (2018) 459-464.
-  Mhya, DH., Anigo KM., Umar IA., and Alegbejo, JO. Antihyperglycemic Effect of Balanites aegyptiaca Leaves Extract-Fractions in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats. Journal of Complementary and Alternative Medical Research. 6(1) (2018) 1-12.
-  Pulok, K.M., Venkatesh, P., and Ponnusankar, S. Ethnopharmacology and integrative medicine – Let the history tell the future. Journal of Ayurveda and Integrated Medicine, 1(2) (2006) 100–109.
-  Oh, Y.S. Plant-Derived Compounds Targeting Pancreatic Β- cells for the Treatment of Diabetes mellitus. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, (2015): 1-12. doi.org/10.1155/2015/629863
-  Chawla, R., Thakur, P., Chowdhry, A., Jaiswal, S., Sharma, A., Goel, R. Evidence based herbal drug standardization approach in coping with challenges of holistic management of diabetes mellitus: a dreadful lifestyle disorder of 21st century. Journal of Diabetes mellitus and Metabolic Disorders, 12(1) (2013) 35-51.
-  Kazeem, M.I., Akanji, M.A., Yakubu, M.T., and Ashafa, A.O.T. Protective effect of free and bound polyphenol extract from Ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe) on the hepatic antioxidant and some carbohydrate metabolizing enzymes of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2013 (2013) 1-7.
-  Hosseini, A., Shafiee-Nick, R., and Ghorbani, A. Review: Pancreatic β- cell protection/regeneration with phytotherapy. Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 51(1) (2015) 1-16.
-  National Institute of Health (NIH). Principles of Laboratory Animal Care. NIH Publication. 1985; No. 85-23 Revised
-  Jung MY, Jeon BS, Bock JY. Free, esterified and insoluble bound phenolic acids in white and red ginsengs (Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer). Food Chem. 79 (2002) 105–111. 21.
-  Govorko D, Logendra S, Wang Y, Esposito D, Komarnytsky S, David R. Polyphenolic compounds from Artemisia dracunculus L. inhibit PEPCK gene expression and gluconeogenesis in an H4IIE hepatoma cell line. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007 293 1503–1510.
-  Gajdosik A, Gajdosikova A, Stefek M, Navarova J, Hozova R. Streptozotocin-induced experimental diabetes in male wistar rats. Gen Physiol Biophys. 18 (1999) 54-62.
-  Mhya DH, Amigo KM, Umar IA, Alegbejo JO. Evalaution of hypoglycemic potential of extracts of Balanites aegyptiaca parts. Int. J of Innovative and Advanced Studies 3(9) (2016) 135-138.
-  Goward, C.R., Hartwell, R., Atkinson, T., and Scawen, M.D. Enzymatic assay of glucokinase. Sigma Quality Control Test Procedure. (1986) 1-4
-  Hengartner H, Harris JI. Phosphofructokinase from Bacillus stearothermophilus. Federation European Biochemical Society Letter, 5(1975) 282.
-  Majumder AL, Eisenberg F Jr. In: Biswas T, Lahiri Majumder A, Guha G, Thakurt A, Mukherjee KL. Fructose-1, 6bisphosphatase in human fetal brain and liver during development. J. Biosci. 4(2) (1982) 167-173.
-  Chang HC, Lane MD. The enzymatic carboxylation of phosphoenolpyruvate. II. Purification and properties of liver mitochondrial phosphoenolpyruvate carbooxykinase. Journal of Biochemistry. 241 (1966) 2413-2420.
-  Deutsch J. Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase In: Bergmeyers Methods in Enzymatic Anal., 3rd Edition Beach, FL: Verlag Chemie. (1989):190.
-  Morgan HE, Parmeggiani A. Regulation of glycogenesis in muscle: Control of muscle glycogen phosphorylase activity. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 238(8) (1964) 2440-2445.
-  Baginski ES, Foa PP, Zak B. Glucose6phosphatase. In: Methods of enzymatic analysis. (Ed. Bergmeyer HU). New York: Verlag Chemie Weinheim. Acad. Press Inc. (1974) 737-764.
-  Danforth WH. Glycogen synthase assay. Journal of Biological Chemistry, (1965) 240: 588.
-  Pogson CI, Denton RM. Effect of alloxan diabetes, starvation and refeeding on glycolytic kinase activities in rat epididymal adipose tissue. Nature. 216 (1967) 156- 157.
-  Duncan BD. Multiple range test for correlated and heteroscedastic means. Biometrics. 13 (1957) 359–364.
-  Mansour HA, Newairy AA. Amelioration of impaired renal function associated with diabetes by Balanites aegyptiaca fruits in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Med Res Inst. 21 (2000) 115-125.
-  Al-Malki AL, Barbour EK, Abullnaja KO, Moselhy SS. Management of hyperglycemia by ethyl acetate extract of Balanites aegyptiaca (Desert Date). Molecules. 20(8) (2015) 14425-14434.
-  Salwa AM, El Hadidi MN. Flavonoids of Balanites aegyptiaca (Balanitaceae) from Egypt. Plant System Evolution. 160(3) (1988) 153–158. 46.
-  Sarker SD, Bartholomew B, Nash RJ. Alkaloids from Balanite aegyptiaca. Fitoterapia. 71 (2000) 328–330.
-  Shafik NH, Shafek RZ, Michael HN, Eskander EF. Phytochemical study and antihyperglycemic effects of Balanites aegyptiaca kernel extract on alloxan induced diabetic male rats. Journal of Chemistry and Pharmacy Research, 8(3) (2016) 128-136.
-  Murphy ED, Anderson JW. Tissue glycolytic and gluconeogenic enzyme activities in mildly and moderately diabetic rats: Influence of Tolbutamide Administration. Endocrinology, 94(1) (1974) 27-34.
-  Latha M, Pari L. Antihyperglycemic effect of Cassia auriculata in experimental diabetes mellitus and its effects on key metabolic enzymes involved in carbohydrate metabolism. Clinical Experiment in Pharmacology and Physiology, 30(1-2) (2003) 38-43.
-  Nachar A, Vallerand D, Musallam S, Lavoie L, Badawi A, Arnason J. The action of antidiabetic plants of the Canadian James Bay Cree traditional pharmacopeia on key enzymes of hepatic glucose homeostasis. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, (2013) 1-9.
-  Deepak KGK, Nageswara R, Neelapu R, Surekha C. Role of antidiabetic compounds on glucose metabolism – a special focus on medicinal plant: Salacia sps. Medicinal Chemistry, 4(3) (2014) 373-381.
-  Priyadarsini, R.L., Namatha, J.R., and Reddy, D.R.S. Glucokinase activators: a glucose sensor role in pancreatic islets and hepatocyte. Pharmacy and. Pharmaceutical Sciences, 4(2) (2012) 81-87.
-  He L, Sabet A, Djedjos S, Miller R, Sun X, Hussain MA, Radovick S, Wondisford FE. Metformin and insulin suppress hepatic gluconeogenesis through phosphorylation of CREB binding protein. Cell 137(5) (2009) 635–646. 71
-  Meyer, F., Ipaktchi, M., and Clauser, H. Specific inhibition of gluconeogenesis by biguanides. Diabetes mellitus, 57(2) (2008) 306–314.
-  Viollet, B., Guigas, B., Garcia, N.S., Leclerc, J., Foretz, M., and Andreelli, F. Cellular and molecular mechanisms of metformin: an overview. Clinical Science, 122(6) (2012) 253-270.
-  Sharma, S.B., Rajpoot, R., Nasir, A., Prabhu, K.M., and Murthy, P.S. Ameliorative Effect of Active Principle Isolated from Seeds of Eugenia jambolana on Carbohydrate Metabolism in Experimental Diabetes mellitus. Evidence-Based CAM 78(9) (2011) 871-879.
-  Khanavi, M., Taheri, M., Rajabi, A., Fallah-Bonekohal, S., Baeeri, M, Mohammadirad, A. Stimulation of Hepatic Glycogenolysis and Inhibition of Gluconeogenesis are the Mechanisms of Antidiabetic Effect of Centaurea bruguierana ssp. belangerana. Asian Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances, 7 (2012) 1166-1174.
-  Khoramdelazad, H., Pourrashidi1, A., Hasanshahi, G., Vazirinejad, R., Hajizadeh, M., Mirzaei, M. Effect of the Iranian Walnut (Juglans regia) Leaves Extract on Gene Expression of Gluconeogenic and Glycogenolytic Enzymes in STZ-Induced Diabetic Rats. International Journal of Current Research, Bioscience and Plant Biology, 2(5) (2015) 47-55
-  Srivastava, S., Pant, K.K., and Lal, V.K.. Development, evaluation and quality control of new antidiabetic ayurvedic polyherbal combination. African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, (2014) 1146-1155.
-  Birudu RB, Naik MJ, Janardhan M. Ethanolic extract of Passiflora foetida and silver nanoparticles on carbohydrate metabolic enzymes of dextrose induced diabetic rats. Journal of Biochemistry Biopharmacy and Biomedical Science, 1(1) (2015) 12-19.
-  Jang SM, Kim MJ, Choi MS, Kwon EY, Lee MK. Inhibitory effects of ursolic acid on hepatic polyol pathway and glucose production in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice. Metabolic Clinical Experiment. 59(16) (2010) 512–519.
-  Ramachandran V, Saravanan R. Efficacy of asiatic acid, a pentacyclic triterpene on attenuating the key enzymes activities of carbohydrate metabolism in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Phytomedicine. 20(3-4) (2014) 230–236.
-  Gutierrez RMP. Evaluation of the hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects of triterpenoids from Prosthechea michuacana in STZ-induced type 2 diabetes mellitus in mice. Pharmacologia 4 (2013) 170–179. DOI: 10.5567/pharmacologia2013.170.179 70.
-  Xu, Y., Osborne, B.W., and Sanaon, R.C. Diabetes mellitus causes inhibition of glucose-6-phosphae dehydrogenase via activation of PKA, which contribute to oxidative stress in rats’ kidney cortex. American Journal of Renal Physiology, 289(5) (2005) 1040-1047.
-  Karuna, R., Bellamkonda, R., Singareddy, S.R., and Desireddy, S. Antihyperglycemic activity of Catharanthus roseus leaves powder in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Pharmacognosy Research 2(3) (2010) 195-201.
-  Saralakumari, D., Ramesh, B., Karuna, R., Sreenivasa Reddy, S. and Sudhakara, G. Ethanolic extract of commiphora mukul gum resin attenuates streptozotocin-induced alterations in carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in rats. Excli Journal, 12 (2013) 556-568.
-  Diaz-Flores, M., Ibanez-Hernandez, M.A., Galvan, R.E., Gutierrez, M., Duran-Reyes, G., Medina-Navarro, R. Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase activity and ADPH/ NADP+ ratio in liver and pancreas are dependent on the severity of hyperglycemia in rat. Life Science 78(22) (2006) 2601-2607.
-  Jain, S.K. Glutathione and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency can increase protein glycosylation. Free Radical and Biological Medicine, 24(1) (1998) 197-201.
-  Atangwho, I.J., Khoo, B.Y., Umar, I.M., Ahmad, M., and Asmawi, M.Z. Vernonia amygdalina simultaneously suppresses gluconeogenesis and potentiates glucose oxidation via the pentose phosphate pathway in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 14 (2014) 426-439.
Publication order reference