Further Study on Thermal Performance of Porous Fin with Temperature-Dependent Thermal Conductivity and Internal Heat Generation using Galerkin’s method of Weighted Residual
Languages of publication
This work is presented as a further study to our previous work, “Thermal performance analysis of a natural convection porous fin with temperature-dependent thermal conductivity and internal heat" published in "Thermal Science and Engineering Progress. 1 (2017) 39–52”, where it was assumed that the surface convection is negligible and heat is transferred only by natural convection in the porous fin. In this present study, such an assumption has been relaxed. Also, effects of surface convective heat transfer on the thermal performance of porous fin with temperature-dependent thermal conductivity and internal heat generation have been investigated using Galerkin’s method of weighted residual. The results of the Galerkin’s method of weighted residual show excellent agreement with the results of numerical method using shooting method coupled with Runge-Kutta method and also with the results of homotopy perturbation method. Thereafter, the developed analytical solutions are used to investigate the influences of the thermal model parameters on the thermal performance of the porous fin. It is found as the with the other model parameters that as the convective parameter increases, the rate of heat transfer from the base of the fin increases and consequently, the porous fin efficiency improves. However, increase in the nonlinear thermal conductivity parameter decreases the temperature distribution in the fin. Based on the high accuracy of the Galerkin’s method of weighted residual as displayed in this work, it is hoped that the simple analytical solutions given by the approximate analytical method will enhance the analysis of extended surfaces and also assist the designers.
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Lagos, Akoka, Lagos, Nigeria
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Lagos, Akoka, Lagos, Nigeria
- Department of System Engineering, University of Lagos, Akoka, Lagos, Nigeria
-  M. G. Sobamowo, O. M. Kamiyo, A. O. Adeleye. Thermal performance analysis of a natural convection porous fin with temperature-dependent thermal conductivity and internal heat. Thermal Science and Engineering Progress. 1 (2017) 39-52.
-  S. Kiwan, A. Al-Nimr. Using Porous Fins for Heat Transfer Enhancement. ASME J. Heat Transfer 2001; 123: 790–5.
-  S. Kiwan, Effect of radiative losses on the heat transfer from porous fins. Int. J. Therm. Sci. 46 (2007a) 1046-1055
-  S. Kiwan. Thermal analysis of natural convection porous fins. Tran. Porous Media 67 (2007b) 17-29.
-  S. Kiwan, O. Zeitoun, Natural convection in a horizontal cylindrical annulus using porous fins. Int. J. Numer. Heat Fluid Flow 18 (5) (2008) 618-634.
-  R. S. Gorla, A. Y. Bakier. Thermal analysis of natural convection and radiation in porous fins. Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transfer 38 (2011) 638-645.
-  A. Taklifi, C. Aghanajafi, H. Akrami. The effect of MHD on a porous fin attached to a vertical isothermal surface. Transp Porous Med. 85 (2010) 215-31.
-  B. Kundu, D. Bhanji. An analytical prediction for performance and optimum design analysis of porous fins. Int. J. Refrigeration 34 (2011) 337-352.
-  B. Kundu, D. Bhanja, K. S. Lee. A model on the basis of analytics for computing maximum heat transfer in porous fins. Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 55 (25-26) (2012) 7611-7622.
-  D. Bhanja, B. Kundu. Thermal analysis of a constructal T-shaped porous fin with radiation effects. Int J Refrigerat 34 (2011) 1483-96.
-  B. Kundu, Performance and optimization analysis of SRC profile fins subject to simultaneous heat and mass transfer. Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 50 (2007) 1545-1558.
-  S. Saedodin, S. Sadeghi, S. Temperature distribution in long porous fins in natural convection condition. Middle-east J. Sci. Res. 13 (6) (2013) 812-817.
-  S. Saedodin, M. Olank, 2011. Temperature Distribution in Porous Fins in Natural Convection Condition, Journal of American Science 7(6) (2011) 476-481.
-  M. T. Darvishi, R. Gorla, R.S., Khani, F., Aziz, A.-E. Thermal performance of a porus radial fin with natural convection and radiative heat losses. Thermal Science, 19(2) (2015) 669-678.
-  M. Hatami, D. D. Ganji. Thermal performance of circular convective-radiative porous fins with different section shapes and materials. Energy Conversion and Management, 76 (2013) 185-193.
-  M. Hatami, D. D. Ganji. Thermal behavior of longitudinal convective–radiative porous fins with different section shapes and ceramic materials (SiC and Si3N4). International of J. Ceramics International, 40 (2014) 6765-6775.
-  M. Hatami, A. Hasanpour, D. D. Ganji, Heat transfer study through porous fins (Si3N4 and AL) with temperature-dependent heat generation. Energ. Convers. Manage. 74 (2013) 9-16.
-  M. Hatami, D. D. Ganji. Investigation of refrigeration efficiency for fully wet circular porous fins with variable sections by combined heat and mass transfer analysis. International Journal of Refrigeration, 40 (2014) 140-151.
-  M. Hatami, G. H. R. M. Ahangar, D. D. Ganji, K. Boubaker. Refrigeration efficiency analysis for fully wet semi-spherical porous fins. Energy Conversion and Management, 84 (2014) 533-540.
-  R. Gorla, R.S., Darvishi, M. T. Khani, F. Effects of variable Thermal conductivity on natural convection and radiation in porous fins. Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transfer 38 (2013) 638-645.
-  Moradi, A., Hayat, T. and Alsaedi, A. Convective-radiative thermal analysis of triangular fins with temperature-dependent thermal conductivity by DTM. Energy Conversion and Management 77 (2014) 70-77
-  S. Saedodin. M. Shahbabaei. Thermal Analysis of Natural Convection in Porous Fins with Homotopy Perturbation Method (HPM). Arab J Sci Eng 38 (2013) 2227-2231.
-  H. Ha, Ganji D. D and Abbasi M. Determination of Temperature Distribution for Porous Fin with Temperature-Dependent Heat Generation by Homotopy Analysis Method. J Appl Mech Eng. 4(1) (2005).
-  H. A. Hoshyar, I. Rahimipetroudi, D. D. Ganji, A. R. Majidian. Thermal performance of porous fins with temperature-dependent heat generation via Homotopy perturbation method and collocation method. Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computational Mechanics. 14(4) (2015), 53-65.
-  Y. Rostamiyan,, D. D. Ganji , I. R. Petroudi, and M. K. Nejad. Analytical Investigation of Nonlinear Model Arising in Heat Transfer Through the Porous Fin. Thermal Science 18(2) (2014) 409-417.
-  S. E. Ghasemi, P. Valipour, M. Hatami, D. D. Ganji. Heat transfer study on solid and porous convective fins with temperature-dependent heat -generation using efficient analytical method. J. Cent. South Univ. 21 (2014) 4592-4598.
-  R. Petroudi, D. D. Ganji, A. B. Shotorban, M. K. Nejad, E. Rahimi, R. Rohollahtabar and F. Taherinia. Semi-Analytical Method for Solving Nonlinear Equation Arising in Natural Convection Porous fin. Thermal Science, 16(5) (2012) 1303-1308.
-  R. W. Lewis., P. Nithiarasu and K. N. Seetharamu. Fundamental of the Finite Element Method for Heat and Fluid Flow. John Wiley and Sons, 2004.
-  M. G. Sobamowo. Thermal analysis of longitudinal fin with temperature-dependent properties and internal heat generation using Galerkin’s method of weighted residual. Applied Thermal Engineering 99 (2016) 1316-1330.
-  M. Hatami, M. Jafaryar, D.D. Ganji, M. Gorji-Bandpy. Optimization of finned-tube heat exchangers for diesel exhaust waste heat recovery using CFD and CCD techniques. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer 57 (2014) 254-263.
-  O. Pourmehran, M. Rahimi-Gorji, M. Hatami, S. A. R. Sahebi, G. Domairry. Numerical optimization of microchannel heat sink (MCHS) performance cooled by KKL based nanofluids in saturated porous medium. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers 55 (2015) 49-68.
-  M. Hatami, D.D. Ganji, M. Gorji-Bandpy. Experimental and numerical analysis of the optimized finned-tube heat exchanger for OM314 diesel exhaust exergy recovery. Energy Conversion and Management 97 (2015) 26-41.
-  M. Hatami, D.D. Ganji, M. Gorji-Bandpy. Numerical study of finned type heat exchangers for ICEs exhaust waste heat recovery. Case Studies in Thermal Engineering 4 (2014) 53-64.
Publication order reference