Running preparation and the final decathlon score in terms of sports career development
Languages of publication
Introduction: Success in decathlon contests is achieved by athletes of all ages - from 18 to almost 40 yea rs. The development and importance of individual competitions in the final point score have changed during many years of sports ontogenesis. The aim of the study was to evaluate the changes taking place in sports performance level within the decathlon runn ing competitions and their impact on the final result during the long - term sports championship (sports career) development. Materials and methods: In the analysis, data concerning the "sports ontogenesis” of the world’s best decathletes (N = 25, mean score 8198 points) were used. The final point score and results in three running competitions, i.e. 100, 400 and 1500m runs were taken into account. In the evaluation of sports championship development, four stages were singled out: junior (up to 19 years), yout h (to 23 years), the age in which the best results are achieved (up to 30 years), and the final stage of sports championship (decrease of the performance level - 31 years and more). The changes in performance level were evaluated based on analysis of varia nce (ANOVA), the relationship between the partial results (runs) and the final score (decathlon) was evaluated based on the Pearson correlation analysis. Results: The calculated values of correlation coefficient showed that there is a relationship between the results achieved in the running events and the total score at the individual stages of athletes’ sports development. The highest Pearson correlation values in all researched periods were determined for the 400m run (|r xy | > 0.59 ; p < 0.05) . Additionall y, at the third stage of sports career development (stage, at which athletes achieve the best results), the final score is also impacted by the level of results achieved at the distance of 100m. The correlation values for distances of 100 and 400m, are at this stage comparable and are approx. |r xy | = 0.6. Conclusions: The greatest impact on the final score achieved by decathletes at all stages of their sports career is running preparation over the distance of 400m.
- Faculty of Physical Education, University of Rzeszów, Poland, bdz email@example.com
- Faculty of Physical Education and Physiother apy, Opole University of Technology, Poland
- Faculty of Physical Education, University of Rzeszów, Poland
- 1. Quarcetani R.L.: Athletics. A history of modern track and field athletics (1860 - 2000). SEP Editrice, Mediolan, 2000
- 2. Edouard P., Mori J. - B., Sam ozino B.: Maximal lower extremity power output changes during a decathlon. New Studies in Athletics, 2013, 3 - 4, 19 - 37.
- 3. Vana Z.: The training of the best decathletes. New Studies in Athletics, 2003, 4, 15 - 30.
- 4. Schrader A.: Eine Disziplin nach der anderen. Le ichtathletiktraining, 2011, 2 - 3, 46 - 53
- 5. Hymans R.: Progression of Word Best performances and IAAF approved world records. IAAF, Monaco, 2004.
- 6. Iskra J., Walaszczyk A., Skucha J.: Trening mistrzowski w biegach sprinterskich. AWF Katowice, PZLA Warszawa, 2015 [in Polish]
- 7. Butler M.: IAAF World Championships. Statistics Handbook. IAAF Athletics, Monaco, 2015
- 8. Iskra J.: Lekkoatletyczne tabele olimpijskie. Politechnika Opolska, Opole, 2012 [in Polish]
- 9. Zarnowski F.: All - around men. Heroes of a forgotten sport. The S carecrow Press, Lanham, Toronto, Oxford, 2005
- 10. Wallechinsky D., Loucky J.: The complete book of the Olympics. 2012 Edition. Aurum Press, London, 2012
- 11. International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), http://www.iaaf.org/home (access: 20.01.2016 r.)
- 12. Poliszczuk W.D.: Lekkoatleticzeskojediesatiborie. Naukowyjswit, Kijew, 2001.
- 13. Matthews P.: Athletics 2013. The International Track and Field Annual, 2012 World Lists, Cheltenham, UK: Sports Book Ltd, 2013
- 14. Van Kuijen H.: 1997 Annual Combined Events. Helmond , 1998
- 15. Decathlon 2000, http://www.decathlon2000.com/ (access: 26.01.2016 r.)
- 16. StatSoft (2006). Elektroniczny Podręcznik Statystyki PL, Krakow, WEB: http://www.statsoft.pl/textbook/stathome.html (access: 25.03.2016 r.) [in Polish]
- 17. Bompa T.O., Haff G.G.: Periodyzacja. Teoria i metodyka treningu. Biblioteka Trenera, Warszawa, 2010 [in Polish].
- 18. Smith M.: High performance in printing. The Crowood Press, Ramsbury, 2005
- 19. Walaszczyk A., Iskra J.: Model lekkoatletycznego dziesięcioboju a indywidualne osiągnięcia najlepszych wieloboistów z lat 1970 - 2001. W: (red. H. Sozański i wsp.) Trening s portowy na przełomie wieków, AWF, Warszawa, 2002 [in Polish], 205 - 208
Publication order reference