Physical and chemical properties of sweet juice produced from hydrolysed acha (Digitaria exilis Stapf) starch using crude amylase from germinated maize
Languages of publication
This study investigated the possibility of producing juice by hydrolyzing acha starch using crude amylase from germinated maize. Planted maize was monitored for seven days to determine germinative capacity and amylase activity of the seed. Extracted acha starch was hydrolysed using wet homogenised maize seedlings in an incubator at 62-68 °C for 6-8 hours. Colour, pH, titratable acidity (TTA), °Brix and sensory attribute of the juice were determined using standard method. A commercial malt beverage was used as reference. The maize sample had a mean capacity of 95% while its maximum amylase activity occurred at day 4. The pH, TTA, and °Brix of the juice were obtained as 4.5, 0.85 and 10 respectively. Colour values for L*, a*, and b* were 37.64, 7.6, and 15.3 respectively. Sensory analysis showed no significant difference between the juice and reference sample in terms of taste and colour. However, significant differences were observed in aroma and overall acceptability. Hence, malt beverages can be produced using this method but requires certain additives to impart prevalent aroma associated with malt beverages.
-  Akpan I, Bankole M.O, Adesemowo A.M, Latunde- Dada G.O. Production of amylase by A. niger in a cheap solid mediumusing rice bran and agricultural materials. Tropical science 39 (1999) 77-79.
-  Ameko, E., Achio, S., Alhassan, S., Gyasi, G., and Sackey, R. A procedure to determine the germination period for optimum amylase activity in maize malt crude extracts for the artisanal production of maltose syrup from fresh cassava starch. Innovative Romanian Food Biotechnology 12 (2013) 52-60.
-  Akonor P. T., Tortoe C., Oduro-Yeboah C. Physicochemical Characterization of Non-alcoholic Beverages Produced from Malted Roasted Varieties of Maize (Zea mays). International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition Engineering 4(1) (2014) 20-26 DOI:10.5923/j.food.20140401.04
-  Chutintrasri B. and Noomhorm A., Colour Degradation Kinetics of Pineapple Puree during Thermal Processing, LWT-Food Science and Technology 40 (2007) 300-306.
-  Hudec K., Muchova D. Correlation between Black Point Symptoms and Fungal Infestation and Seedling Viability of Wheat Kernels. Plant Protection Science, 44 (2008) 138-146.
-  Jideani I.A, Akingbala J.O. Some physiochemical properties of Acha (Digitaria exilis Stapf) and Iburua (Digitaria iburua Stapf) grains. Journal of the Science, Food and Agriculture 63(3) (1993) 369-374
-  Musa H., Muazu J., and Bhatia P.G. Evaluation of fonio (Digitaria exilis) starch as a binder in paracetamol tablets. Nigerian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 7(1) (2008) 56-66
-  Mitchell D.A. and Lonsane B.K. In: General principles of Solid State fermentation, Monogram, edited by Doelle H.W and Rolz C. Publication of Oxford, London. (1990)
-  Olu-Owolabi B. I., Olayinka O. O., Adegbemile A. A., Adebowale K. O. Comparison of Functional Properties between Native and Chemically Modified Starches from Acha (Digitaria Stapf) Grains. Food and Nutrition Sciences, 5 (2014) 222-230.
-  Omemu, A. M., Akpan I, Bankole, M. O. and Teniola, O. D. Hydrolysis of raw tuber starches by amylase of Aspergillus niger AM07 isolated from the soil. African Journal of Biotechnology 4 (1) (2005) 19-25.
-  Rahman, M. A., Nahar, N., Jabbar, M. A., & Mosihuzzaman, M. Variation of carbohydrate composition of two forms of fruit from jack tree (Artacarpus heterophyllus) with different maturity and climatic conditions. Food Chemistry 65 (1999) 91-97
-  Ramachandran V., Pujari N., Matey T., Kulkarni S. (2014). Enzymatic Hydrolysis of Cassava using wheat seedlings. International Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology Research 3(5), 1216-1219
-  Subbarao Kolli V, Datta R Upali and Arma Rameshwarsh. Amylases Synthesis in Scutellum and Aleurone Layer of Maize Seeds. Photochemistry 49 (3) (1998) 657-666.
-  Souza P.M., Magalhaes P.O. Application of microbial α-amylase in industry - A review. Brazilian Journal Microbiology 41(4) (2010) 850-861.
-  Wireko-Manu F. D., Ellis W. O. and Oduro I. Production of a non-alcoholic beverage from sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas L.). African Journal of Food Science 4(4) (2010) 180-183
-  Dr. Marina Carcea, Dr. Rita Acquistucci, Isolation and Physicochemical Characterization of Fonio (Digitaria exilis Stapf) Starch. Starch Volume 49, Issue 4, 1997, Pages 131–135
-  Hanhan Huang, Qianqian Jiang, Yuling Chen, Xia Li, Xinhui Mao, Xuetao Chen, Luqi Huang, Wenyuan Gao, Preparation, physico–chemical characterization and biological activities of two modified starches from yam (Dioscorea Opposita Thunb.), Food Hydrocolloids, 2016, 55, 244
-  Xurun Yu, Jing Zhang, Aimin Li, Zhong Wang, Fei Xiong, Morphology and Physicochemical Properties of 3LiliumBulb Starches, Journal of Food Science, 2015, 80, 8, C1661
-  Jinwen Cai, Jianmin Man, Jun Huang, Qiaoquan Liu, Wenxian Wei, Cunxu Wei, Relationship between structure and functional properties of normal rice starches with different amylose contents, Carbohydrate Polymers, 2015, 125, 35
-  Ping Wang, Jun Huang, Lingxiao Zhao, Yifang Chen, Cunxu Wei, Structural and functional properties of endosperm starch and flour from dicotyledon Mirabilis jalapa, Starch - Stärke, 2015, 67, 3-4, 328
-  Jun Huang, Lingxiao Zhao, Huyin Huai, Enpeng Li, Fengmin Zhang, Cunxu Wei, Structural and functional properties of starches from wild Trapa quadrispinosa, japonica, mammillifera and incisa, Food Hydrocolloids, 2015, 48, 117
-  Hongming Gao, Jinwen Cai, Wenli Han, Huyin Huai, Yifang Chen, Cunxu Wei, Comparison of starches isolated from three different Trapa species, Food Hydrocolloids, 2014, 37, 174
-  Wenjing Zhang, Haixia Chen, Jia Wang, Yanwei Wang, Lisha Xing, Hua Zhang, Physicochemical properties of three starches derived from potato, chestnut, and yam as affected by freeze-thaw treatment, Starch - Stärke, 2014, 66, 3-4, 353
-  Fan Zhu, Structure, physicochemical properties, and uses of millet starch, Food Research International, 2014, 64, 200
-  Mojisola O. Edema, M. Naushad Emmambux, John R. N. Taylor, Improvement of fonio dough properties through starch modification by sourdough fermentation, Starch - Stärke, 2013, 65, 9-10, 730
-  M. Naushad Emmambux, John R. N. Taylor, Morphology, physical, chemical, and functional properties of starches from cereals, legumes, and tubers cultivated in Africa: A review, Starch - Stärke, 2013, 65, 9-10, 715
-  Sun-Tae Kim, So-Yeon Seo, Seung-Ho Lee, Study on swelling of starch granules using gravitational field-flow fractionation (GrFFF), Analytical Science and Technology, 2011, 24, 4, 249
-  Chien-Chun Huang, Phoency Lai, I.-Hua Chen, Yi-Fan Liu, Chiun-C.R. Wang, Effects of mucilage on the thermal and pasting properties of yam, taro, and sweet potato starches, LWT - Food Science and Technology, 2010, 43, 6, 849
-  Chiun-C.R. Wang, Po-Yuan Chiang, Po-Hsien Li, Chien-Chun Huang, Physicochemical properties of water caltrop (Trapa taiwanensis Nakai) starch during growth period, Carbohydrate Polymers, 2008, 71, 2, 310
-  Po-Yuan Chiang, Po-Hsien Li, Chien-Chun Huang, Chiun-C.R. Wang, Changes in functional characteristics of starch during water caltrop (Trapa Quadrispinosa Roxb.) growth, Food Chemistry, 2007, 104, 1, 376
-  L. A. Bello-Pérez, A. Aparicio-Saguilán, G. MÉNdez-Montealvo, J. Solorza-Feria, E. Flores-Huicochea, Isolation and Partial Characterization of Mango (Magnifera indica L.) Starch: Morphological, Physicochemical and Functional Studies, Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, 2005, 60, 1, 7
Publication order reference