Is it Possible to Estimate Match Result in Volleyball: A new Prediction Model
Languages of publication
This study investigates the power of variables in a logistic regression model (the efficacy model or (EM)) to explain the match results in the Turkish Men’s Volleyball League (TMVL) and the Turkish Women’s Volleyball League (TWVL) in terms of the players’ positions. The dependent variable was the match result, and the power of the variables libero player efficiency (LPE), setter efficiency (SE), middle blocker efficiency (MBE), outside hitter efficiency (OHE) and universal player efficiency (UPE) were separately investigated for both genders. The EM accurately classified 83.45% of the games won and lost in the TWVL. The sensitivity (proportion of won games classified as won) and specificity (proportion of lost games classified as lost) was 85.03 and 81.88%, respectively. In the TMVL analysis, the classification accuracy, sensitivity and specificity were 78.23, 78.77 and 77.70%, respectively. Moreover, for both genders, the match results were chiefly explained by the SE, MBE, OHE and UPE. The LPE variable could not predict the results in the TWVL.
- Akarçeşme, C. (2010). Determination of the variables explaining the match result with the logistic regression method and estimation ofthe probability model aimed at winning the match in the elite women’s volleyball. Unpublished Doctorate Thesis. Ankara: Gazi University Institute of Health Sciences.
- Arauj, R., Mesquit, I., Marcelino, R. (2009). Relationship between Block Constraints and set outcome in elite male volleyball. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 9 (8), 306–313.
- Asterios, P., Kostantinos, C., Athanasios, M., Dimitrios, K. (2009). Comparison of technical skills effectiveness of men’s national volleyball teams. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 9, 1–7.
- Beim, G., Winter, R. (2003). The female athlete’s body book: How to prevent and treat sports injuries in women and girls. New York: The McGraw Hill Companies.
- Drikos, S., Kountouris, P., Laios, A., Laios, Y. (2009). Correlates of team performance in volleyball. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 9, 149–156.
- Gonzalez-Silva, J., Dominguez, A.M., Fernandez-Echeverria, C., Rabaz, F.C. Arroyo, M.P.M. (2016). Analysis of setting efficacy in young male and female volleyball players. Journal of Human Kinetics, 53 (1), 189–200.
- Gualdi-Russo, E., Graziani, I. (1993). Anthropometric somatotype of Italian sport participants. The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 33, 282–291.
- Hosmer, D.W., Lemeshow, S. (2000). Applied Logistic Regression (2 ed.). New York: Wiley-Interscience Publication.
- Korhonen, M.T., Mero, A., Suominen, H. (2003). Age-related differences in 100-m sprint performance in male and female master runners. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 35, 1419–1428.
- Marcelino, R.O., Sampaio, J.E., d Mesquita, I.M. (2012). Attack and serve performances according to the match period and quality of opposition in elite volleyball matches. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 26 (12), 3385–3391.
- Marelic, N., Resetar, T., Jankovic, V. (2004). Discriminant analysis of the sets won and the sets lost by one team in A1 Italian volleyball league – A case study, Kinesiology, 36, 75–82.
- Monteiro, R., Mesquita, I., Marcelino, R. (2009). Relationship between the set outcome and the dig and attack efficacy in elite male volleyball game. International Journal of Performance Analysis of Sport, 9, 294–305.
- Nikos, B., Elissavet, N.M. (2011). Setter’s performance and attack tempo as determinants of attack efficacy in Olympic-level male volleyball teams. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 11 (3), 535–544.
- Pena, J., Rodriguez-Guerra, J., Busca, B., Serra, N. (2013). Which skills and factors better predict winning and losing in high-level men’s volleyball? Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 27 (9), 2487–2493.
- Pregibon, D. (1981). Logistic regression diagnostic. The Annals of Statistics, 9, 705–724.
- Rentero, L., Joao, P.V., Moreno, M.P. (2015). Analysis of the libero’s influence of the libero in different phases of game in volleyball. Revista Internacional De Medicina Y Ciencias De La Actividad Fisica Y Del Deporte, 15 (60), 739–756.
- Rickenlund, A., Carlstrom, K., Jörn Ekblom, B., Brismar, T.B., von Schoultz, B., Hirschberg, A.L. (2003). Hyperandrogenicity is an alternative mechanism underlying oligomenorrhea or amenorrhea in female athletes and may improve physical performance. Fertility and Sterility, 79, 947–955.
- Silva, M., Lacerda, D., Joao, P.V. (2013). Match analysis of discrimination skills according to the setter attackzone position in high level volleyball. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 13 (2), 452–460.
- Silva, M., Lacerda, D., Joao, P.V. (2014). Game-related volleyball skills that influence victory. Journal of Human Kinetics, 41 (1), 173–179.
- Weisberg, S. (2005). Applied Linear Regression (3 ed.). New Jersey: Wiley & Sons Inc. Publication.
Publication order reference