Treatment of multiple superficial basal cell carcinomas with topical imiquimod
Languages of publication
Basal cell carcinoma is the most common malignancy of man. The use of the topical imiquimod 5% cream offers a noninvasive, nonsurgical, and an effective option for the treatment of primary types superficial basal cell carcinoma (sBCC). We present a case series of patients who used imiquimod 5% cream with good therapeutic effect. The medication had a good tolerability profile and there were no ocular adverse events. Imiquimod 5% cream could be considered the first choice treatment for BCCs in older patients who are poor candidates to surgery.
- Lopes Filho LL, Soares Lopes LR, Lima IP et al. [Frontal basal cell carcinoma with superciliar aff ection: surgical treatment with bilateral advancement flap]. Surg Cosm Dermatol 2009; 1: 103-104.
- Hassan I, Abid K, Mashkoor A, Qazi M. Bazex syndrome – a case report. N Dermatol Online 2011; 2: 18-20.
- Vikram KM, Pushpinder SCh, Karaninder SM, Vikas S. Favre-Racouchot Syndrome. Our Dermatol Online 2013; 4: 328-329.
- Molina AL, Mejía M, Restrepo R. [Congenital and multiple basal cell carcinoma]. Rev Asoc Colomb Dermatol 2011; 19: 85-88.
- Martínez Braga G, Riveros R, Di Martino Ortiz B et al. [Dermatoscopy: contribution as a method to define surgical margins in basal cell carcinomas of the face, neck and trunk]. Our Dermatol Online 2013; 4: 28-31.
- Abdulaziz A., Brzezinski P., Chiriac A. Skin of sailor: Cutis rhomboidalis nuchae, actinic keratosis, squamous cell carcinoma and basal cell carcinoma. Case report. OncoReview 2014; 1: A36-A40.
- Lezcano L, Di Martino Ortiz B, Rodriguez Masi M et al. [Bowen’s disease treated with cryotherapy combined with topical 5% imiquimod. Alternative treatment to surgery in elderly patients with co-morbidities]. N Dermatol Online 2011; 2: 61-64.
- Schmitt AR, Bordeaux JS. Solar keratoses: photodynamic therapy, cryotherapy, 5-fluorouracil, imiquimod, diclofenac, or what? Facts and controversies. Clin Dermatol 2013; 31: 712-717.
- Schulze HJ, Cribier B, Requena L et al. Imiquimod 5% cream for the treatment of superficial basal cell carcinoma: results from a randomized vehicle-controlled phase III study in Europe. Br J Dermatol 2005; 152: 939-947.
- Schön M, Bong AB, Drewniok C et al. Tumor-selective induction of apoptosis and the small-molecule immune response modifier imiquimod. J Natl Cancer Inst 2003; 95: 1138-1149.
- Arits AH, Mosterd K, Essers BA et al. Photodynamic therapy versus topical imiquimod versus topical fluorouracil for treatment of superficial basal-cell carcinoma: a single blind, non-inferiority, randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol 2013; 14: 647-654.
Publication order reference