Quality monitoring of marine coastal waters in Poland
Languages of publication
A review of EU legislation and national rules applicable to the assessment of the quality of the marine waters of the Baltic Sea in Poland. A review of the procedures prescribed by law, highlighting some inconsistencies, and pointed to the importance of the innovative approach of the EU Water Directive towards assessing water quality, which now should be based primarily on assessing the health hydrobiont by limiting the amount recommended for the study of chemical indicators of water quality. It pays attention to the progression, and at the same time, retreat from this canon, which manifests itself primarily by gradually increasing the recommended number of chemical indicators of water quality that should undergo mandatory testing - on the road to increasing the number of priority contaminants placed in subsequent acts supplementing and modifying the EU Water Directive.
- Department of Chemistry and Protection of the Aquatic Environment, University of Szczecin, 3C Felczaka Street, 71-412 Szczecin, Poland
- The Board of Marine Ports of Szczecin and Świnoujście S.A., Environment and Health Research Laboratory, 7 Bytomska Street, 70-603 Szczecin, Poland
-  Grasshoff K., Methods of Seawater Analysis. Verlag Chemie, Weinheim - New York 1976, 318 s.
-  Regulation (1975), the Council of Ministers dated. On November 29, 1975. On the classification of waters, the conditions to be met by sewage, and fines for violation of these conditions. Journal of Laws 1975 No. 41, item. 214.
-  Dojlido J., Woyciechowska J. and Stojda A., The index of water quality. Gosp. Water, 45(10) (1983) 310-316.
-  Stojda A., Dojlido J. and Woyciechowska J., Evaluation of clean water using a water quality index. Gosp. Water 47(12) (1985) 281-284.
-  Dojlido J. and Taboryska B., Monitoring of water quality in different countries of the world. Gosp. Water 52 (9) (1990) 201-204.
-  Freshwater Environmental Monitoring in Sweden, Wiederholm T. (ed.), 1992, Ed. Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, too: Kudelska D. and H. Soszka, use and ecological assessment and classification of water - a practice European countries. Prot. Environm. Resource. Natur. 9 (1996) 75-91.
-  Patricia Pocklington, Peter G. Wells, Polychaetes Key taxa for marine environmental quality monitoring. Marine Pollution Bulletin, Volume 24, Issue 12, December 1992, Pages 593-598
-  Kathryn A. Burns, Jonathan L. Smith, Biological monitoring of ambient water quality: the case for using bivalves as sentinel organisms for monitoring petroleum pollution in coastal waters Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, Volume 13, Issue 4, October 1981, Pages 433-443
-  Ángel Borja, Javier Franco, Victoriano Valencia, Juan Bald, Iñigo Muxika, Marı́a Jesús Belzunce, Oihana Solaun. Implementation of the European water framework directive from the Basque country (northern Spain): a methodological approach. Marine Pollution Bulletin, Volume 48, Issues 3–4, February 2004, Pages 209-218
-  B. O'Flyrm, R. Martinez, J. Cleary, C. Slater, F. Regan, D. Diamond, H. Murphy. Smart Coast: A Wireless Sensor Network for Water Quality Monitoring. Local Computer Networks, 2007. LCN 2007. 32nd IEEE Conference on. 32nd IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN 2007). DOI:10.1109/LCN.2007.34
-  A. Borja, J. Franco, V. Pérez. A Marine Biotic Index to Establish the Ecological Quality of Soft-Bottom Benthos Within European Estuarine and Coastal Environments. Marine Pollution Bulletin, Volume 40, Issue 12, December 2000, Pages 1100-111
-  Tomoyuki Shibata, Helena M. Solo-Gabriele, Lora E. Fleming, Samir Elmir. Monitoring marine recreational water quality using multiple microbial indicators in an urban tropical environment. Water Research, Volume 38, Issue 13, July 2004, Pages 3119-3131, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2004.04.044
-  R. T. Noble, D. F. Moore, M. K. Leecaster, C. D. McGee, S. B. Weisberg. Comparison of total coliform, fecal coliform, and enterococcus bacterial indicator response for ocean recreational water quality testing. Water Research, Volume 37, Issue 7, April 2003, Pages 1637-1643, https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(02)00496-7
-  Robert W. Howarth, Andrew Sharpley, Dan Walker. Sources of nutrient pollution to coastal waters in the United States: Implications for achieving coastal water quality goals. Estuaries and Coasts. Journal of the Coastal and Estuarine Research Federation, August 2002, Volume 25, Issue 4, pp 656–676
-  Aber, J. D. andC. T. Driscoll. 1997. Effects of land use, climate variation, and nitrogen deposition on nitrogen cycling and carbon storage in northern hardwood forests. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 11: 639–648
-  Aber, J. D., K. J. Nadelhoffer, P. Steudler, andJ. M. Melillo. 1989. Nitrogen saturation in northern forest ecosystems. BioScience 39:378–386.
-  Aber, J. D., S. V. Ollinger, andC. T. Driscoll. 1997. Modeling nitrogen saturation in forest ecosystems in response to land use and atmospheric deposition. Ecological Modeling 101: 61–78.
-  Alexander, R. B., P. J. Johnes, E. A. Boyer, andR. A. Smith. 2002. A comparison of models for estimating the riverine export of nitrogen from large watersheds. Biogeochemistry 57: 295–339.
-  Alexander, R. B., R. A. Smith, andG. E. Schwarz. 2000. Effect of stream channel size on the delivery of nitrogen to the Gulf of Mexico. Nature 403: 758–761.
-  Bashkin, V. N. 1997. The critical load concept for emission abatement strategies in Europe: A review. Environmental Conservation 24: 5–13.
-  Bengston, L., P. Seuna, A. Lepisto, andR. K. Saxena. 1992. Particle movement of meltwater in a subdrained agricultural basin. Journal of Hydrology 135: 383–398.
-  Bock, B. R. 1984. Efficient use of nitrogen in cropping system, p. 273–294.In R. D. Hauck (ed.), Nitrogen in Crop Production. American Society of Agronomists, Madison, Wisconsin.
-  Bouwman, A. F. andH. Booij. 1998. Global use and trade of feedstuffs and consequences for the nitrogen cycle. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 52: 261–267.
-  Bouwman, A. F., D. S. Lee, A. H. Asman, F. J. Dentener, K. W. van der Hoek, andJ. G. J. Olivier. 1997. A global high-resolution emission inventory for ammonia. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 11: 561–587.
-  Boynton, W. R., J. H. Garber, R. Summers, andW. M. Kemp. 1995. Inputs, transformations, and transport to nitrogen and phosphorus in Chesapeake Bay and selected tributaries. Estuaries 18: 285–314.
-  Bredemeier, M., K. Blanck, Y. J. Xu, A. Tieteam, A. W. Boxman, B. A. Emmett, F. Moldan, P. Gundersen, P. Schleppi, andR. F. Wright. 1998. Input-output budgets at the NITREX sites. Forest Ecology and Management 101: 57–64.
Publication order reference