Psychological Capital and Employee Performance in Federal Neuro-Psychiatric Hospital, Benn City, Edo State, Nigeria
Languages of publication
Declining employees’ performance has emerged as part of the criticisms leveled against government hospitals in Nigeria. Perhaps, the problem of employees apathy and lack of effort is not simply a matter of individual laziness, rather there are often healthy reaction by normal people to an unhealthy environment created by uncommon organizational or government policies. This underscores the importance of investing in and developing the positive psychological capacities of organizational members for the benefit of boosting organizational performance and remains competitive. This study therefore examines the relationship between psychological capital and employee performance in Federal Neuro-Psychiatric Hospital in Benin City using survey research method. A sample size of one hundred and twenty two (122) was selected for the study using accidental sampling technique. Data collected were analyzed using Pearson product moment correlation and multiple regression analysis. The study found that there is significant relationship between psychological capital and employee performance in Federal Neuro-Psychiatric Hospital Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria. Requisite conclusion and recommendations were provided in the light of empirical and theoretical findings.
-  J.P. Campbell, J.J. McHenry & L.L. Wise, Modeling job performance in a population of jobs. Personnel Psychology, 43(2) (1990) 313-333.
-  S.P. Robbins, T.A. Judge & S. Sangi, Organizational behaviour. New Delhi: Prentice Hall: 2009.
-  J.B. Avey, T.S. Wernsing & F. Luthans, Can positive employees help positive organizational change? Impact of psychological capital and emotions on relevant attitudes and behaviours. The Journal of Applied Behavioural Science, 44 (1) (2008) 48-70
-  S.S. Babalola, Women entrepreneurial innovative behaviour: The role of psychological capital. International Journal of Business and Management, 4 (11) (2009) 184-192.
-  J.K. Aderibigbe, T. Q. Mjoli & K.S. Adebisi, Role of psychological capital in effective management of work-stress among tertiary institutions’ staff in Nigeria. Journal of Economics and Behaviour Studies, 10(2) (2018) 6-13.
-  J.B. Avery, F. Luthans & C.M. Yossef, The additive value of positive psychological capital in predicting work attitudes and behaviours. Journal of Management, 36 (2010) 430-452.
-  F. Luthans, C.M. Youssef & B.J. Avolio, Psychological capital: Developing the human competitive edge. New York: Oxford University Press: 2007.
-  J.C. Simons & J.H. Buitendach, Psychological capital, work engagement and organizational commitment amongst call centre employees in South Africa. SA Journal of Industrial Psychology, 39 (2) (2013) 1-12.
-  U.W.M.R. Sampath-kappagoda, H.Z.F. Othman & G.D. Alwis, Psychological capital and job performance: The mediating role of work attitudes. Journal of Human Resource and Sustainability Studies, 2 (2014) 102-116.
-  F. Luthans & C.M. Youssef, Human, social and now positive psychological capital management: Investing in people for competitive advantage. Organizational Dynamics, 33 (2) (2004) 143-160.
-  A. Bandura, Self-efficacy: The exercise of control. New York: Freeman publishers: 1997.
-  A. bandura, An agentic perspective on positive psychology. In S.J. Lopez (ed.), Positive psychology: Exploring the best in people. Westport, CT: Greenwood Publishers: 2008.
-  A.D. Stajkovi & F. Luthans, self-efficacy and work-related performance: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 124 (2008) 240-261.
-  F. Luthans, S.M. Norman, B.J. Avolio & J. B. Avey, The mediating role of psychological capital in the supportive organizational climate-employee performance relationship. Journal of Organizational Behaviour, 29 (2008) 219-238.
-  S.J. Roberts, L.L. Scherer & C.J. Bowyer, Job stress and incivility: What role does psychological capital play? Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies,18 (40 (2011) 449-458.
-  C.R. Snyder & S. Lopez, Handbook of positive psychology. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press: 2002.
-  M.E.P. Seligman, Learned optimism. New York: Pocket Books: 1998.
-  S.C. Carver, M.F. Scheier & S.C. Segerstrom, Optimism. Clinical Psychology Review, 30 (2010) 879-889.
-  J.B. Avey, J.L. Patera & B.J. West, The implications of positive psychological capital on employee absenteeism. Journal of Leadership and organizational Studies, 13 (2006) 42-60.
-  J.B. Avey, F. Luthans & S.M. Jensen, Psychologi capital: A positive resource for combating employee stress and turnover. Human Resource Management, 48 (2009) 677-693.
-  C.C. Ugwu & J.O. Okojie, Human resource management (HRM) practices and work engagement in Nigeria: The mediating role of psychological capital (psycap). International Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities Reviews, 6(4) (2016) 71-87.
-  F. Luthans, B.J. Avolio & F. Walumbwa, The psychological capital of Chinese workers: Exploring the relationship with performance. Management and Organization Review, 1 (2005) 247-269.
-  C.R. Snyder, Handbook of hope. San Diego: Academic Press: 2000.
-  C.R. Snyder, Hope theory: Rainbows in the mind. Psychological Inquiry, 13 (2002) 249-275.
-  S.J. Peterson, F.O. Walumbwa, K. Byron & J. Myrowitz, CEO positive psychological traits, transformational leadership and firm performance in high-technology start-up and established firms. Journal of Management, 35(20 (2009) 348-368.
-  C.M. Youssef & F. Luthans, positive organizational behaviour in the workplace: The impact of hope optimism, and resilience. Journal of Management, 33 (5) (2007) 774-800.
-  A.S. Master & M.G.J. Reed, Resilience in development: In C.R. Snyder & S.J. Lopez UK: Oxford University Press: 2002.
-  F. Luthans, The need for and meaning of positive organizational behaviour. Journal of Organizational Behaviour, 23 (2002) 695-706.
-  D.L. Coutu, How resilience works. Harvard Business Review, 80 (3) (2002) 46-55.
-  E. Rabenu & E. Yaniv, Psychological resources and strategies to cope with stress at work. Int. J. Psychol. Res. 10 (2) (2017) 8-15.
-  B. Cooke, Employee attitudes and performance New York: McGraw-Hill: 2000.
-   K.R. Murphy, Dimensions of job performance. In R. Dillon & J. Pellingrino (eds.), Testing: Applied and Theoretical perspective. New York: Praeger: 1989.
-  G. Moorhead & R.W. Griffin, Organizational behaviour: Managing people and organizations. Mumbai: Jaico Publishing House: 1999.
-  K. Ikyanyon & T. Ucho, The practice of performance management. New York: Holt Henry and Co publishers: 2014.
-  W.C. Borman & S.J. Motowidlo, Expanding the criterion domain to include elements of contextual performance. In N. Schmitt & Associates (eds.) Personnel selection in organizations. San Francisco: Jossey-bass Publishers: 1993.
-  W.C. Borman, L.D. Acvkerman & U.C. Kubisiak, Development of a performance rating program in support of department of labor test validation researcher. Sacramento, CA: Cooperative personnel Service: 1994.
-  F. Luthans, C.M. Yousef & B.J. Avolio, Psychological capital and beyond. New York: Oxford University Press: 2015.
-  A. Bandura, Social cognitive theory: An agentic perspective. Annual Review of Psychology. 52 (1998) 1-26.
-  F. Luthans, Organizational behaviour. New York: McGraw-Hill: 2011.
-  A. Bandura, Cultivate self-efficacy for personal and organization effectiveness. In E. Locke (ed.), The blackwell handbook of principles of organizational behaviour. Blackwell: Oxford University Press: 2000.
-  S.J. Peterson & F. Luthans, The positive impact and development of hopeful leaders. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 24 (2003) 26-31.
-  D.T. Nguyen &. T.M.T. Nguyen, psychological capital quality of work life and quality of life of markets: evidence from Vietnam. Journal of Macromarketing, 32 (1) (2011) 87-95.
-  W. Nafei, The effects of psychological capital on employee attitudes and employee performance: A study on teaching Hospitals in Egypt. International Journal of Business and Management, 10 (3) (2015) 249-270.
-  F.O. Walumbwa, F. Luthans, J.B. Avery & A. Oke, Authentically leading groups: The mediating role of collective psychological capital and trust. Journal of Organizational Behaviour 32 (2011) 4-24.
-  A. Choi & C. M. Lee, Employee creativity: Mediating role of psychological capital. American Psychologist 55 (2014) 56-73.
-  S. Mathe-Soulek, S. Scott-Halsell, O.B. Kim & P.A. Krawczyk, A review and meta-analysis of the correlates and consequences of psychological capital. Journal of Occupational Psychology, 81 (2014) 540-561.
Publication order reference