Inhibition and adsorption of oil extract of Balanites aegyptiaca seeds on the corrosion of mild steel in hydrochloric acid environment
Languages of publication
The efficiency of oil extract of Balanites aegyptiaca seeds on the inhibition of mild steel corrosion in 1 M HCl has been investigated using gravimetric and electrochemical (Potentiodynamic Polarization (PDP) and Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy (EIS)) techniques. Results obtained show that Balanites aegyptiaca (BA) oil extract inhibited the acid corrosion of mild steel. Polarization technique showed that BA oil extract acted as mixed-type inhibitor in 1 M HCl solution. The impedance technique reveals that charge-transfer process controls the corrosion of mild steel. The inhibiting action of BA oil extract was attributed to their adsorption on the mild steel surface and the formation of dense protective layer which increased by increasing their concentration. BA inhibits the corrosion of mild steel by an adsorption mechanism, which follows Temkin adsorption isotherm. Physical adsorption mechanism has been proposed for the inhibitory action of BA oil extract. The protective film formed on the surface was confirmed by scanning electron microscopy (SEM).
-  M. T. Alhaffar, S. A. Umoren, I. B. Obot and S. A. Alia, Isoxazolidine derivatives as corrosion inhibitors for low carbon steel in HCl solution: experimental, theoretical and effect of KI studies. RSC Adv. 8 (2018) 1764-1777
-  M. Lebrini, F. Robert, and C. Roos, Inhibition effect of alkaloids extract from Annona squamosa plant on the corrosion of C38 steel in normal hydrochloric acid medium. International Journal of Electrochemical Science 5(11) (2010) 1698-1712
-  O. James and E. O. Ekpe, Inhibition of corrosion of mild steel in 2M hydrochloric acid by Aloe Vera. International Journal of Pure and Applied Chemistry 35(10) (2002)
-  N. B. Iroha and M. A. Chidiebere, Evaluation of the Inhibitive Effect of Annona Muricata. L Leaves Extract on Low-Carbon Steel Corrosion in Acidic Media. International Journal of Materials and Chemistry 7(3) (2017) 47-54
-  M. Lebrini, F. Robert, and C. Roos, Alkaloids extract from Palicourea guianensis plant as corrosion inhibitor for C38 steel in 1 M hydrochloric acid medium. International Journal of Electrochemical Science 6(3) (2011) 847-859
-  N. B. Iroha and N. A. Madueke, Effect of Triumfetta rhomboidea Leaves Extract on the Corrosion Resistance of Carbon Steel in Acidic Environment. Chemical Science International Journal 25(2) (2018) 1-9
-  E. E. Ebenso, N. O. Eddy, and A. O. Odiongenyi, Corrosion inhibitive properties and adsorption behaviour of ethanol extract of Piper guinensis as a green corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in H2SO4. African Journal of Pure and Applied Chemistry 2(11) (2008) 107-115
-  N. B. Iroha, O. Akaranta and A. O. James, Corrosion Inhibition of Mild Steel in Acid Media by Red Peanut skin extract-furfural Resin. Advances in Applied Science Research 3(6) (2012) 3593-3598
-  I. M. Mejeha, A. A. Uroh, K. B. Okeoma, and G. A. Alozie, The inhibitive effect of Solanum melongena L. leaf extract on the corrosion of aluminium in tetraoxosulphate (VI) acid. African Journal of Pure and Applied Chemistry 4(8) (2010) 158-165
-  W. S. Koko, H. S. Abdalla, M. Galal and H. S. Khalid, Evaluation of oral therapy on Mansonial Shistosomiasis using single dose of Balanites aygyptiaca fruits and praziquantel. Fitoterapia 76 (2005) 30-34
-  P. Chapagain, H. Yehoshua and Z. Wiesman, Desert date (Balanites aegyptiaca) as an arid land sustainable bioresource for biodiesel. Bioresour Technol. 100 (2009)1221-1226
-  A. Dwivedi, V. Joshi, P. K. Barpete, A. K. Akhtar, A. Kaur and S. Kumar, Anthelmintic activity of root bark of Balanites aegyptiaca (L.). Del. Ethnobotanical Leaflets 13 (2009) 564-567.
-  M. Arbonnier, Trees, shrubs and lianas of West Africa Dry Zones. CIRAD, MARCRAF Publishers (2004) 572.
-  A. A. Elfeel and Z. Sherif, 2014. Hindi Balanites aegyptiaca (L.) Del. var. aegyptiaca seed composition and variability among three different intraspecific sources. J. Life Sci. 11(7): 160-166
-  H. A. Al Ashaal, A.A. Farghaly, M.M. Abd El Azizc and M. Ali, Phytochemical investigation and medicinal evaluation of fixed oil of Balanites aegyptiaca fruits (Balantiaceae). J. Ethnopharmacol. 127(2) (2010) 495-501
-  Gnoula, V. Mégalizzi and N. De, Diosgenyl saponins isolated from Balanites aegyptiaca Del. display significant anti-tumor activity in vitro and in vivo. Int J. Oncol. 32 (2008) 5-15
-  A. Eze, D. C. Anyogu, I. C. Nwogu and S. S. Adamu, Anti-ulcer activities of oil extract of Balanites aegyptiaca seed in guinea pigs. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research 7(34) (2013) 2533-2537.
-  N. B. Iroha and A. Hamilton-Amachree, Adsorption and anticorrosion performance of Ocimum Canum extract on mild steel in sulphuric acid pickling environment. American Journal of Materials Science 8(2) (2018) 39-44.
-  M. A. Chidiebere, N. Simeon, D. Njoku, N. B. Iroha, E. E. Oguzie and Y. Li, Experimental study on the inhibitive effect of phytic acid as a corrosion inhibitor for Q235 mild steel in 1 M HCl environment. World News of Natural Sciences 15 (2017) 1-19
-  S. Martinez and I. Stern, Thermodynamic characterization of metal dissolution and inhibitor adsorption processes in the low carbon steel/mimosa tannin/sulfuric acid system. Appl. Surf. Sci. 199 (1–4) (2002) 83–89
-  Ebenso N. Eddy and A. Odiongenyi, Corrosion inhibition and adsorption properties of methacarbanol on mild steel in acidic medium. Portugaliae Electrochemica Acta 27(1) (2009) 13-22.
-  M. M. Solomon, H. Gerengi and S. A. Umoren, Carboxymethyl cellulose/silver nanoparticles composite: synthesis, characterization and application as a benign corrosion inhibitor for St37 steel in 15% H2SO4 medium. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 9 (2017) 6376-6389
-  Z. Tao, W. He S. Wang, S. Zhang and G. Zhou, A study of differential polarization curves and thermodynamic properties for mild steel in acidic solution with nitrophenyltriazole derivative. Corrosion Sci. 60 (2012) 205-213
-  Z. Tao, S. Zhang, W. Li and B. Hou, Corrosion inhibition of mild steel in acidic solution by some oxo-triazole derivatives. Corros. Sci. 51(11) (2009) 2588-2595
-  El-Taib Heakal, A. S. Fouda and M. S. Radwan, Inhibitive effect of some thiadiazole derivatives on C-steel corrosion in neutral sodium chloride solution. Mater. Chem. Phys. 125 (2011) 26-36
-  D. K. Yadav, M. Quraishi and B. Maiti, Inhibition effect of some benzylidenes on mild steel in 1 M HCl: an experimental and theoretical correlation. Corrosion Sci. 55 (2012) 254-266
-  El-Taib Heakal, M. A. Deyab, M. M. Osman and A. E. Elkholy, Performance of Centaurea cyanus aqueous extract towards corrosion mitigation of carbon steel in saline formation water. Desalination 425 (2018) 111-122
-  N. A. Madueke and N. B. Iroha, Protecting aluminium alloy of type AA8011 from acid corrosion using extract from Allamanda cathartica leaves. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, 7(10) (2018) 10251-10258
-  Gerengi, M. Mielniczek, G. Gece and M. M. Solomon, Experimental and quantum chemical evaluation of 8-hydroxyquinoline as a corrosion inhibitor for copper in 0.1 M HCl. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 55 (2016) 9614-9624
-  A. O. James and N. B. Iroha, An Investigation on the Inhibitory Action of Modified Almond Extract on the Corrosion of Q235 Mild Steel in Acid Environment, IOSR Journal of Applied Chemistry 12(2) (2019) 01-10
-  Bouyanzer and B. Hammouti. A Study of Anticorrosion Effects of Artemisia Oil on Steel. Pigment & Resin Technology 33(5) 2004 287-292
-  S. O. Ajeigbe, N. Basar, M. A. Hassan and M. Aziz, Optimization of Corrosion Inhibition of Essential Oils of Alpinia Galanga on Mild Steel using Response Surface Methodology. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences 12(9) (2017) 2763-2771
-  N. B. Iroha and A. O. James, Assessment of performance of velvet tamarind-furfural resin as corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in acidic solution. J. Chem Soc. Nigeria 43(3) (2018) 510–517
-  A Yurt, B. Duran and H. Dal, An experimental and theoretical investigation on adsorption properties of some diphenolic Schiff bases as corrosion inhibitors at acidic solution/mild steel interface. Arabian Journal of Chemistry 7 (2014) 732-740
-  S. S. A. Rehim, O. A. Hazzazi, M. A. Amin, and K. F. Khaled, The corrosion inhibition of low carbon steel in concentrated sulphuric acid solutions. Part I: chemical and electrochemical (AC and DC) studies. Corrosion Science 50(8) (2008) 2258-2271
-  N. O. Obi-Egbedi and I. B. Obot, Xanthione: a new and effective corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in sulphuric acid solution. Arabian J. Chem. 6 (2013) 211-223
-  M. Prabakaran, K. Vadivu, S. Ramesh and V. Periasamy, Corrosion protection of mild steel by a new phosphonate inhibitor system in aqueous solution. Egyptian J. Pet. 23(4) (2014) 367-377
-  T. O. Magu, V. M. Bassey, B. E. Nyong, O. E. Obono, N. A. Nzeata-Ibe, O. U. Akakuru. Inhibition studies of Spondias mombin L. in 0.1 HCl solution on mild steel and verification of a new temperature coefficient of inhibition efficiency equation for adsorption mechanism elucidation. World News of Natural Sciences 8 (2017) 15-26
-  M. E. Ikpi, F. E. Abeng, O. E. Obono. Adsorption and Thermodynamic Studies for Corrosion Inhibition of API 5L X-52 Steel in 2 M HCl Solution by Moxifloxacin. World News of Natural Sciences 9 (2017) 52-61
-  H. Louis, J. Japari, A. Sadia, M. Philip, A. Bamanga. Photochemical screening and corrosion inhibition of Poupartia birrea back extracts as a potential green inhibitor for mild steel in 0.5 M H2SO4 medium. World News of Natural Sciences 10 (2017) 95-100
-  B. Adindu Chinonso, E. Oguzie Emeka. Investigating the extract constituents and corrosion inhibiting ability of Sida acuta leaves. World News of Natural Sciences 13 (2017) 63-81
-  J. N. O. Ezeugo, O. D. Onukwuli, M. Omotioma. Optimization of corrosion inhibition of Picralima nitida leaves extract as green corrosion inhibitor for zinc in 1.0 M HCl. World News of Natural Sciences 15 (2017) 139-161
Publication order reference