Non-governmental consumer organizations in European Union. Selected aspects
Languages of publication
The article is based on an analysis of the subject literature, the legal acts and information from the official web sites of European non-governmental organizations (NGO’s), the main purpose of which is to present the idea and the primary role of NGO’s, whose priority is to propagate and popularize consumer protection within the European Union. In addition, an analysis is conducted of the systematics of the Consumer non-governmental sector in the European Union. Also the relation between non-governmental organizations and the European Commission are discussed. The article includes a characterization of the specific role of the European Economic and Social Committee, which consists of representatives of the various economic and social components of organized civil society, such as consumers in the development of consumer protection in the European market. In the next section of the article the chosen European Union non-government organization and its role in consumer protection is analyzed. In particular the specific actions undertaken in this area by the European Community of Consumer Co-operatives (Euro Coop), the European Farmers Organization, the European Association for the co-ordination of Consumer Representation in Standardisation (ANEC) and the Bureau Européen des Unions de Consommateurs ( BEUC ) are analyzed. The final section of the article is the conclusion of the real role of consumer NGO’s both now and in the future in European Union policy. Those considerations are based on real European Union regulations such as Regulation (EU) No 254/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26th February 2014 on a multiannual consumer programme for the years 2014-2020.
-  BEUC Statues, Version as adopted at the General Assembly meeting in Brussels on 14.11.2013.
-  Commission of the European Communities, a European Social Policy White Paper - a way forward for the Union, COM(94) 333 final, Brussels. 27. 07. 1994.
-  Commission of the European Communities, Green Paper European Social Policy 17.11. 1993, COM(93) 551.
-  Cullen P., The Platform of European Social NGOs: ideology, division and coalition. Journal of Political Ideologies 3 (2010) 317-331.
-  European Convention on the Recognition of the Legal Personality of International Non-Governmental Organisations Strasbourg, 24.IV.1986, European Treaty Series, No. 124.
-  Ferretti F., The over-indebtedness of European consumers: time for a 'fresh-start' of the EU policy and legal agenda? European Review of Contract Law 4 (2015) 346-375
-  Huong H., McGregor, S., Role of Consumer Associations in the Governance of E-commerce Consumer Protection, Journal of Internet Commerce 1 (2013) 1-25
-  http://ec.europa.eu/info/departments/consumers-health-agriculture-and-food_en, 20.02.2017.
-  Maier L., Institutional Consumer Representation In the European Community. Journal of Consumer Policy 3-4 (1993) 362-365
-  Nielsen K. ,Berg E., Roll G., Undiscovered avenues? Estonian civil society organisations as agents of Europeanisation, Journal of the Humanities & Social Sciences 3 (2009) 248-264
-  Regulation (EU) No 254/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26th February 2014 on a multiannual consumer programme for the years 2014-20 and repealing Decision No 1926/2006/EC, L 84/42 O J. E.U. 20.3.2014.
-  Rules of Procedure of the Commission C(2000) 3614, O.J. L 308, 8.12.2000.
-  Treaty of Amsterdam amending the Treaty on European Union, the Treaties establishing the European Communities and certain related acts, signed at Amsterdam, 2nd October 1997, O. J. E C, C 340, 10.11.1997.
-  Treaty on European Union, signed at Maastricht on 7th February 1992, O.J. C 191, 29.07.1992.
-  Treaty of Nice amending the Treaty on European Union, the treaties establishing the European Communities and certain related acts, O.J. E. C. C 80/1, 10.03.2001.
-  Urwin D.W., Consumer Committee, In The European Union Encyclopedia and Directory, edited by Stevenson, L. M, London, 1999.
Publication order reference