Teachers' participation in different levels of decision making in council and Developing professional skills: A case from Iran
Languages of publication
The main question of this study was to find whether high school teachers' professional skills could be predicted by their participation in different decision makings in council. The present research was particularly an applied and descriptive – correlation research. The population included all high school teachers in council in Dezfoul city located in south of Iran. The sample of study was 70. The measurement instrument s of the present research included the questionnaires of the extent of teachers 'participation in teachers' participation in teachers' council decisions, the self- assessment of teachers' professional skills, and a checklist for examining teachers' professional skills by investigators. The results of regression with Enter method, the multiple variable coefficient for linear combination of different domains decision makings and teachers ' professional skills was (MR = 0.746, RS = 0.557, P < 0.05). In addition, Educational decision makings was identified as the best predictor (t = 3.97, P = 0.001). Conference decision makings was also identified as the second predictor (t = 3.12, P = 0.003). Other independent variables (research, welfare, organizational) didn’t play any role in the prediction of teachers' professional skills.
-  Ahrari, R. (2001). A critique on , and study of council law. A commentary to the 2. Zonal Education councils. Second print (Persian).
-  Arnold, H. J., & Feldman, D. C. (1986). Organizational Behavior. New York, McGraw-Hill.
-  Armstrong, M. (2006). A Handbook of Human Resource Management Practice (10thedn) London, Kogan page
-  Bacharach, S. B., Bamburger, P., Conley, S. C. & Bauer, S. (1990). The dimensionality of decision participation in educational organizations: The value of a multi-domain evaluative approach. Educational Administration Quarterly, 26 (2), 126-167.
-  Blasé, J., Anderson, G., & Dungan, S. (1995). Democratic principals in action: Eight pioneers, California, Thousand Oaks, Corwin.
-  Chan, M. T., Ching, Y. C., & Cheng, Y. C. (1997). ‘Teacher participation in decision making: the case of Hong Kong SMI schools’. Education Journal, vol. No. 46, no.3, pp. 205-232.
-  Edem. D.A. (1992). Introduction to educational and administration in Nigeria. Ibadan, Spectrum books Ltd.
-  Fathi Vajargah, A. (2004). The feasibility of teachers' participation in curriculum planning processes of education system. Educational innovation quarterly, Vol (3), No (8) (Persian).
-  Fazeli, M. (2007). It is impossible to solve the problems of Education. Negah magazine (Persian).
-  Hava and Miskel, S (nd) Educational administration, Theory, Research and practice. translated into Persian by Mirmohammad seyyad abbaszade (2003), University Press: Oromiye.
-  Luthans, F. (2005). Organisational Behavior (10th ed). New Yolk, McGraw-Hill Irwin .
-  Imber, M. & W.A. Neidt. (1990) Teacher Participation in School Decision Making, In P. Reyes (Ed.) Teachers and their Workplace: Commitment and Productivity, Newbury Park. California: Sage Publication Inc.
-  Jasebi, A (1995) Council and consultation in Islam, The scientific – research quarterly of educational faculty. Tehran University, Vol (11), Issue 1-2.
-  Kazempur, M (2010). Acomparison between the exsisting and desired conditions of less experienced and experienced teachers in curriculum planning process, Educational psychology quarterly, Tonekabon branch of Islamic Azad University.
-  Keung, C. (2008) The effect of shared decision-making on the improvement in teachers’ job development. New horizons in Education, 56(3), pp 31-46.
-  Kiprop, C., J and Kandie, S. J. (2012). An investigation into teacher participation in decision making in public secondary schools in Kenya: a case of baringo district. Elixir Edu. Tech. 53, 11824-11828.
-  Man Fai Lau, M. (2004). Teachers’ Participation in Decision-making in Hong Kong Secondary Schools. New Horizons in Education. No 49, 17- 41.
-  Mohrman, A. M. Jr., Cooke, R. A., & Mohrman, S. A. (1978). Participation in Decision Making: A Multidimensional Perspective. Education Administration Quarterly, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 13-19.
-  Michael, L, M. F (2004). Teachers, participation in Decision making in Hong Kong secondry school
-  Mbibi, U., Oluchi, F. (2013). Decision Making and Job Satisfaction as Correlates of Teachers’ Job Performance in Junior Secondary Schools in Abia State, Nigeria. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences MCSER Publishing, Rome-Italy, 4 (8), 107-112.
-  Muindi, F. K. (2011). The Relationship between Participation in Decision Making and Job Satisfaction among Academic Staff in the School of Business, University of Nairobi . Journal of Human Resources Management Research. Vol. 2011, 1-34.
-  Moorhead, G. & Griffin, R. (1989). Organizational Behavior, (2nded) Boston, Houghton Mifflin Company.
-  Mowday, R. T., Steers, R. M. & Porter, L. W. (1982). Employee Organization Linkages. New York, Academic Press.
-  Mullins, L. J. (2004). Management and organizational behaviour. (7th Ed). New Deihi, Prentice-Hall.
-  Pardakhtchi , M , H (1995) Educational management as professional area. Quarterly journal of management in education. 4 (13), pp 46-56, (Persian).
-  Taylor, D. & Tashakkori, A. (1997). Toward an understanding of teachers desire for participation in decision-making. Journal of School Leadership, 7(Nov), 609-628.
-  Taylor, D., L and Bogotch, I ., E (1994). School-Level Effects of Teachers' Participation in Decision Making. September 21, vol. 16 no. 3, 302-319.
-  Transformation council office (2011). Operating Handbook Documentation of fundamental change in education. Tehran: Educational planning and research organization.
-  Uba-Mbibi, Felicia Oluchi (2013). Decision Making and Job Satisfaction as Correlates of Teachers’ Job Performance in Junior Secondary Schools in Abia State, Nigeria. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences MCSER Publishing, Rome-Italy, 4 (8). 107-112.
-  Vengrasalaman, R., S. O. (2000).A survey of teachers' participation in decision making process in batu pahat district schools. Master dissertation. Faculty of cognitive sciences and human development university Malaysia Sarawak.
-  Wagner, A. J. (1994). “Participation’s Effects on Performance and Satisfaction: A Reconsideration of Research Evidence,‟ Academy of Management Review, vol. 19, pp. 312-330.
-  Weiss, C. H. (1993). Shared decision about what? A comparison of school with and without teaches Participation. Teachers College Record, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 69-92.
-  Wadesango, N and Bayaga, A. (2012) Management of schools: Teachers’ involvement in decision making processes, African Journal of Business Management. Vol. 7(17), pp. 1689-1694.
Publication order reference