Transmitter Inclination Angle Characteristics for Underwater Optical Wireless Communication in a Variety of APD Detectors
Languages of publication
In this paper, the performance of an underwater optical wireless communications system is theoretically analyzed, using 4-PPM modulation technique and an avalanche photodiodes APD receiver over underwater environment channels. Based on the line of sight (LOS) geometrical model for optical beam propagation horizontally on an underwater medium and combined with signal to noise ratio model for Si, Ge and InGaAs APD and BER; then the impacts of the distance of transmission, power of the transmitter under Jerlov water types (I, IA, IB) are analyzed. The characteristics of bit error rate BER and channel capacity for 4-PPM optical modulation technique are studied under different APD detector and Jerlov water types. Simulation results indicate that the performance of PPM and Jerlov type (I) are more suited for an underwater optical wireless communication. On the other hand, we discuss the suitability of avalanche photodiodes under this modulation technique, where the photodiode Si APD has more advantage compared with the other detectors when used as a receiver in an underwater optical communication.
-  A. Choudhary, V. K. Jagadeesh, P. Muthuchidambaranathan, "Pathloss analysis of NLOS underwater wireless optical communication channel", International conference on electronic and communication system (ICECS), India, 2014.
-  L. Mullen, A. Laux, B. Cochenour, "Propagation of modulated light in water: implications for imaging and communications systems", Applied optics, vol. 48, no.4, 2009.
-  M. A. Khalighi, C. Gabriel, T. Hamza, S. Bourennane, P. Léon, and V. Rigaud, “Underwater Wireless Optical Communication; Recent Advances and Remaining Challenges”, International Conference on Transparent Optical Networks (ICTON), Austria, 2014.
-  Y. J. Gawdi, “Underwater Free Space Optics, ”M.S. thesis, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, (2006).
-  S. Tang, X. Zhang, Y. Dong, "On impulse response for underwater wireless optical links" IEEE oceans conferences-Bergen, MTS/IEEE, (2013).
-  C. Gabriel, M.A. Khalighi, S. Bourennane, P. Léon, V. Rigaud, "Monte-Carlo-Based Channel Characterization for Underwater Optical Communication Systems," IEEE/OSA Journal of Optical Communications and Networking (JOCN), vol.5, no.1, pp. 1-12, 2013.
-  S. Tang, Y. Dong, X. Zhang, "On link misalignment for underwater wireless optical communications", IEEE Communication Letters, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1688-1690, 2012.
-  S. Vigneshwaran, I. Muthumani, & R. A. Sivananantha, "Investigations on Free space optics communication system", International Conference on Information Communication & Embedded Systems (ICICES), India, 2013.
-  M. T. Rahman, S. Iqbal, & M. M. Islam, "Modeling and performance analysis of free space optical communication system", International Conference on Informatics, Electronics & Vision (ICIEV), 2012.
-  S. A. Al-Gailani, A.B. Mohammad & R. Q. Shaddad, "Enhancement of free space optical link in heavy rain attenuation using multiple beam concept", Optik, vol. 124, iss. 21, pp. 4798-4801, 2013.
-  M. Ijaz, Z. Ghassemlooy, S. Rajbhandari, H. Le Minh, J. Perez, & A. Gholami, "Comparison of 830 nm and 1550 nm based free space optical communications link under controlled fog conditions", 8th International Symposium on Communication systems, Networks and Digital Signal Processing (CSNDSP), 2012.
-  N. G. Jerlov, "Marine optics", Elsevier science, (1976) 13-63.
-  L. J. Johnson, R. G. Green, M. S. Leeson, "Underwater optical wireless communications: depth dependent variations in attenuation", Applied Optics, vol.52, no. 33, 2013.
-  V. I. Haltrin, "Chlorophyll-based model of sea water optical properties", Applied Optics, 38 (1999) 6826-6832.
-  V. I. Haltrin, G. W. Kattawar, "Effect of Raman scattering and fluorescence apparent optical properties of sea water", Texas A&M University, (1991).
-  R. C. Smith, K. S. Baker, "Optical properties of the clearest natural waters", Applied Optics, 20 (1981) 177-184.
-  J. R. Apel, "Principles of ocean physics", London, Academic Press Inc, pp. 580-585, 1987.
-  C. D. Mobley, D. Stramski, P. W. Bissett, and E. Boss, "Optical modeling of ocean water", Oceanography, vol. 17, (2004).
-  S. Arnon, D. Kedar, "Non-Line-of-sight underwater optical wireless communication network", J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, vol. 28, 3 (2009).
-  G. Keiser, "Optical fiber communications", McGraw-Hill Company, (2000).
-  S. Trisno, "Design and analysis of advanced free space optical communication systems", Ph. d thesis, University of Maryland, (2006).
-  G. Keiser, "Optical essential communications", McGraw-Hill Company, (2004).
-  K. C. Palais, "Fiber optic communications", Prentice-Hall Inc, 4th edition, 2004.
-  Z. Ghassemlooy, W. Popoola, S. Rajbhandari, "Optical wireless communications system and channel modeling with matlab", CRC press, Taylor & Frances Group, 2013.
-  Y. Ding, Q. Ding, Q. Liu, "Performance Analysis of optical modulation in underwater slant transmission", International journal of innovative computing, information and contron, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 3799-3805, 2013.
-  W. O. Popoola, Z. Ghassemlooy, "BPSK subcarrier intensity modulated free-space optical communications in atmospheric turbulence", Journal of Lightwave technology, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 967-973, 2009.
-  A. Majumdar, "Advanced Free Space Optics (FSO) a systems approach", Springer Science+Business Media New York, 2015.
-  D. A. Luong, T. C. Thang, A. T. Pham, "Effect of avalanche photodiode and thermal noises on the performance of binary phase-shift keying-subcarrier-intensity modulation/free-space optical systems over turbulence channels", IET Communications, vol. 7, iss. 8, pp. 738-744, 2013.
Publication order reference