Antimicrobial activity of natural dyes obtained from Terminalia arjuna (Roxb.) Wight & Arn barks
Languages of publication
In the present study to evaluate the antimicrobial activity of Terminalia arjuna (Roxb.) Wight & Arn barks. Many of the plant materials, from which natural dyes are obtained, found to have some medicinal values. During the present study, dying materials were prepared from barks of Terminalia arjuna. The well diffusion method was adopted to examine antimicrobial activity of dying material against test organisms. The result showed that the dying material of Terminalia arjuna was most active for antibacterial (8 mm) and antifungal (7 mm). Results of the present study suggest that the dying material of Terminalia arjuna has signiﬁcant antibacterial activity against pathogenic bacteria and fungus.
-  Aggarwal, M.R. Agarwal, S. Rajpal: Method of plant analysis. Phytochemical Methods, A guide to modern technique of plant analysis 3rd ed. Ltd, London, 43, 2009, 1-33.
-  Shahriar M, Akhter S, Hossain MI, Haque MA, Bhuiyan MA. Evaluation of in vitro antioxidant activity of bark extracts of Terminalia arjuna. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research 2012; 6(39): 5286-5298.
-  Patil RH, Prakash K, Maheshwari VL. Hypolipidemic effect of Terminalia arjuna (L.) in experimentally induced hypercholesteremic rats. Acta Biologica Szegediensis 2011; 55(2): 289-293.
-  Nema R, Jain P, Khare S, Pradhan A, Gupta A, Singh D. Antibacterial and antifungal activity of Terminalia arjuna leaves extract with special reference to flavonoids. Basic Res J Med Clin Sci. 2012; 1(5):63-65.
-  Aneja KR, Sharma C, Joshi R. Antimicrobial activity of Terminalia arjuna Wight & Arn: An ethnomedicinal plant against pathogens causing ear infection. Brazilian Journal of Otorhinolaryngology 2012; 78(1): 68-74.
-  Halder S, Bharal N, Mediratta PK, Kaur I, Sharma KK. Anti-inflammatory, immunomodulatory and antinociceptive activity of Terminalia arjuna Roxb bark powder in mice and rats. Indian journal of experimental biology. 2009; 47(7): 577.
-  Rao BK, Sudarshan PR, Rajasekhar MD, Nagaraju N, Rao CA. Antidiabetic activity of Terminalia pallida fruit in alloxan induced diabetic rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2003; 85(1): 169-172.
-  Chaudhari GM, Mahajan RT. Comparative Antioxidant Activity of Twenty Traditional Indian Medicinal Plants and its Correlation with Total Flavonoid and Phenolic Content. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research 2015; 30(1): 105-111.
-  Dwivedi S. Terminalia arjuna Wight & Arn. A useful drug for cardiovascular disorders. Journal of ethno pharmacology 2007; 114(2):114-129.
-  Cowan, MM. Plant products as antimicrobial agents. Clin Microbiol Rev. 1999; 12(4): 564-82.
-  Sher A. Antimicrobial activity of natural products from medicinal plants. Gomal J Med Sci. 2009;7(1): 72-8.
-  Das K, Tiwari RKS, Shrivastava DK. Techniques for evaluation of medicinal plant products as antimicrobial agent: Current methods and future trends. J Med Plants Res. 2010; 4(2): 104-11.
-  Jain S, Yadav PP, Gill V, Vasudeva N, Singla N. Terminalia arjuna a sacred medicinal plant; phytochemical and pharmacological profile. Phytochem Rev. 2009;8(2):491-502.
-  Singh DV, Gupta MM, Kumar TRS, Saikia D, Khanuja SPS. Antibacterial principles from the bark of Terminalia arjuna. Curr Sci. 2008; 94(1): 27-9.
-  Awoyinka OA, Balogun IO, Ogunnowo AA., Phytochemical screening and invitro bioactivity of Cnidoscolus aconitifolius. J. Med. plants Res. 1(3) (2007) 63-65.
Publication order reference