The role of karate in preparing boys for school education
Languages of publication
Karate classes can positively affect the health of children and develop body and soul harmoniously. The purpose of the work is to examine the influence of physical ed ucation classes with a priority in application of oriental martial arts on the physical and psychophysical preparedness of preschool boys (n=71). Assessment of physical and psycho -physical preparedness for children was performed with the set of tests ( stan ding long jump , throws of the ball against the wall and catching it , flexion and extension of arms lying on the floor , jumping with a rope to fatigue , raising of the body from the initial supine position , squats, writing the letter “O”, claps, pronouncing of digits, keeping the “Flamingo” pose). The children from the experimental group (n=33) were trained by the program with the priority in application of karate. Children from control group had Physical Education classes according Ukrainian State program fo r preschooler children “Sure Start”. The physical state and the level of psycho -physical fitness were rated as average. The implementation of the physical education program with the priority in application of karate has proven its higher efficacy compared to the traditional one. The program contributed significantly to raising the level of physical and mental fitness, overall assessment increased from 3.0 to 4.8 points in the experimental group. Better discipline, greater attention, higher mental capacity and less fatigue of children who attended the author’s program confirm that the classes with the priority of karate application can promote the full readiness of children for school.
- 1. Niederer I, Kriemler S, Zahner L, Bürgi F, et al. Influence of a lifestyle intervention in preschool children on physiological and psychological parameters (Ballabeina): study design of a cluster randomized controlled trial. BMC Public Health 2009; 9: 94. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-9-94
- 2. Fabio RA, Towey GE. Cognitive and personality factors in the regular practice of martial arts. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 2017. doi: 10.23736/S0022-4707.17.07245-0
- 3. Lakes KD, Hoyt WT. Promoting self -regulation through school-based martial arts training. J Appl Dev Psychol 2004; 25 (3): 283-302. doi: 10.1016/j.appdev.2004.04.002
- 4. Babiss LA, Gangwisch JE. Sports participation as a protective factor against depression and suicidal ideation in adolescents as mediated by self-esteem and social support. J Dev Behav Pediatr 2009; 30(5): 376-384. doi: 10.1097/DBP.0b013e3181b33659
- 5. Kakebeeke TH, Lanzi S, Zysset AE, Arhab A, et al. Association between body composition and motor performance in preschool children. Obes Facts 2017; 10(5): 420-431. doi: 10.1159/000477406
- 6. Tomporowski PD, McCullick B, Pendleton DM, Pesce C. Exercise and children's cognition: The role of exercise characteristics and a place for metacognition. J Sport Health Sci 2015; 4 (1): 47-55. doi: 10.1016/j.jshs.2014.09.003
- 7. Review.VertonghenJSportsJ,TheeboomSciMed 2010;M.The9 Social(4):528-Psychological-537. Outcomes of Martial Arts Practise Among Youth: A
- 8. MusclesAlesiM,LigamentsBianco TendonsA,PaduloJ2014;J,et4 (2):al. 114Motor-120.and cognitive development: the role of karate.
- 9. Camomilla V, Sbriccoli P, Mario AD, Arpante A, Felici F. Comparison of Two Variants Of a Kata Technique (Unsu): The Neuromechanical Point of View. J Sports Sci Med 2009; 8(CSSI3): 29-35.
- 10. Zetaruk MN, Violán MA, Zurakowski D, Micheli LJ. Injuries in martial arts: a comparison of five styles. Br J Sports Med 2005; 39 (1): 29-33.
- 11. Krutsevych TYu. Methods of study of individual health of children and adolescents in the process of physical education. Kyyiv: Olympyyskaya lyteratura, 1999 [In Ukrainian].
- 12. Carson V, Lee EY, Hewitt L, Jennings C, et al. Systematic review of the relationships between physical activity and health indicators in the early years (0-4 years). BMC Public Health 2017;17 (Suppl 5): 854. doi: 10.1186/s12889-017-4860-0
- 13. Chin Ming-Kai, Edginton Christopher R. Physical education and health: global perspectives and best practice. Sagamore publishing LLC, 2014.
- 14. Fairclough S., Stratton G. ‘Physical education makes you fit and healthy’. Physical education's contribution to young people's physical activity levels. Health Educ Res 2005; 20 (1): 14-23. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cyg101
- 15. Lloyd J, Creanor S, Logan S, Green C, et al. Effectiveness of the Healthy Lifestyles Programme (HeLP) to prevent obesity in UK primary-school children: a cluster randomised controlled trial. Lancet Child Adolesc Health 2018; 2 (1): 35-45. DOI: 10.1016/S2352-4642(17)30151-7
- 16. Floyd MF, Bocarro JN, Smith WR, Baran PK et al. Park-Based Physical Activity Among Children and Adolescents. Am J Prev Med 2011; 41 (3): 258-265. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2011.04.013
- 17. Giles- Corti B, Donovan RJ. The relative influence of individual, social and physical environment determinants of physical activity. Soc Sci Med 2002; 54 (12): 1793-1812. doi: 10.1016/S0277-9536(01)00150-2
- 18. Abdelkarim O, Ammar A, Chtourou H, Wagner M, et al. Relationship between motor and cognitive learning abilities among primary school-aged children. Alexandria Journal of Medicine 2017; 53 (4): 325-331. doi: 10.1016/j.ajme.2016.12.004
- 19. Niederer I, Kriemler S, Zahner L, Bürgi F, et al. Influence of a lifestyle intervention in preschool children on physiological and psychological parameters (Ballabeina): study design of a cluster randomized controlled trial. BMC Public Health 2009; 9: 94. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-9-94.
- 20. Silva CA, Motta ME. The use of abdominal muscle training, breathing exercises and abdominal massage to treat paediatric chronic functional constipation. Colorectal Dis 2013; 15(5): e250 -5. doi : 10.1111/codi.12160
- 21. De Boeck K, Vermeulen F, Vreys M, Moens M, Proesmans M. Airway clearance techniques to treat acute respiratory disorders in previously healthy children: where is the evidence? Eur J Pediatr 2008; 167 (6): 607- 612. doi : 10.1007/s00431- 008- 0689- y
- 22. Wąsik J, Ortenburger D, Góra T. The kinematic effects of taekwondo strokes in various conditions the outside environment. Interpretation in the psychological aspect and perspective of application in sport, health -related training and survival abiliti es. Arch Budo 2016; 12: 287- 292
- 23. Szerla M, Wąsik J, Ortenburger D, Gwara M, Trybulec B. Optimization of quality of functional improvement – aspects of psychomedical treatment. Medical Studies 2016; 32 (2): 150- 156
- 24. Wąsik J, Wójcik A. Health in the context of martial arts practice, Phys Activ Rev 2017, 5: 91 -94. doi: 10.16926/par.2017.05.13
Publication order reference