Online coach development and certification programs in sports: are they possible?
Languages of publication
Anticipating the inevitable shift of coach education and Coach Certification Programs (CCP) to distance-learning platforms in the imminent future, I have attempted to identify obstacles that we are likely to face. After explaining the rationale and the potential benefits of such courses, I have identified technique as the most difficult component to both teach and evaluate. A specific viewpoint regarding technique is briefly discussed and several related guidelines are provided to assist in both teaching (coach education) and evaluating technique (CCP) within the context of distance education.
- Born, P., Nguyen, N.P., Grambow, R., Meffert, D., Vogt, T. (2018). Embedding tennis-specific teaching videos into long-term educational concepts to improve movement learning and technique performances. Journal of Physical Education and Sport, 18 (1), 255–261. doi: https://doi.org/10.7752/jpes.2018.01034.
- Brooks, A.J., Maizes, V., Billimek, J., Blair, J., Chen, M.-K., Goldblatt, E., … Lebensohn, P. (2020). Professional development in integrative health through an interprofessional online course in clinical settings. EXPLORE. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.explore.2020.02.014.
- Cain, T. (2015). Teachers’ engagement with published research: addressing the knowledge problem. Curriculum Journal, 26 (3), 488–509. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/09585176.2015.1020820.
- Campbell, T., Sullivan, P. (2005). The Effect of a Standardized Coaching Education Program on the Efficacy of Novice Coaches. AVANTE, 11 (1), 38–45.
- Collins, H., Evans, R. (2007). Rethinking expertise. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
- Collins, H.M., Evans, R. (2002). The Third Wave of Science Studies: Studies of Expertise and Experience. Social Studies of Science 32/2, 2 (2), 235–296.
- Haslam, I.R. (1990). Expert assessment of the national coaching certification program (NCCP) theory component. Canadian Journal of Sport Sciences = Journal Canadien Des Sciences Du Sport, 15 (3), 201–212.
- Jia, M., Gong, D., Luo, J., Zhao, J., Zheng, J., Li, K. (2019). Who can benefit more from massive open online courses? A prospective cohort study. Nurse Education Today, 76, 96–102. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2019.02.004.
- Kai-Sim, L., Malete, L., Feltz, D.L. (2002). The Strength of Coaching Efficacy Between Certified and Noncertified Singapore Coaches. International Journal of Applied Sports Sciences, 14 (1), 55–67.
- Lifelong Learning Definitions. Retrieved from: https://coach.ca/lifelong-learning-definitions (10.04.2020).
- Mccullick, B.A., Belcher, D., Schempp, P.G. (2005). What works in coaching and sport instructor certification programs? The participants’ view. Physical Education & Sport Pedagogy, 10 (2), 121–137.
- McIntyre, D. (2005). Bridging the gap between research and practice. Cambridge Journal of Education. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/03057640500319065.
- McQuade, S. (2020). Current Models of Coach Education, Training, and Certification. In: K. Dieffenbach, M. Thompson (eds), Coach education essentials (p. 448). Human Kinetics.
- Misener, K.E., Danylchuk, K.E. (2009). Coaches’ Perceptions of Canada’s National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP): Awareness and Value. International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching, 4 (2), 233–243.
- Ortega-Morán, J.-F., Pagador, B., Maestre-Antequera, J., Arco, A., Monteiro, F., Sánchez-Margallo, F.M. (2020). Validation of the online theoretical module of a minimally invasive surgery blended learning course for nurses: A quantitative research study. Nurse Education Today, 89, 104406. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2020.104406.
- Papageorgiou, K.G. (2020a). Online Coach Development Components: the Tennis Distal Method Coach Development. Pedagogy, 92 (7s), 17–28.
- Papageorgiou, K.G. (2020b). On Sports Biomechanics Methodology. Epistēmēs Metron Logos, (4), 50–61. doi: https://doi.org/10.12681/eml.24289.
- Rizzolatti, G., Fadiga, L., Gallese, V., Fogassi, L. (1996). Premotor cortex and the recognition of motor actions. Brain Research. Cognitive Brain Research, 3 (2), 131–141.
- Sabock, R. (1981). Professional preparation for coaching. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, 52 (8), 10.
- Schweitzer, C. (1989). Coaching Certification. ERIC Digest. Retrieved from: www.eric.ed.gov.
- Terrace, H.S. (2001). Chunking & Serially Organized Behavior in Pigeons, Monkeys and Humans. Retrieved from: http://www.pigeon.psy.tufts.edu/avc/terrace/ (4.09.2013).
- Zheng, B., Lin, C.H., Kwon, J.B. (2020). The impact of learner-, instructor-, and course-level factors on online learning. Computers and Education, 150, 103851. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2020.103851.
Publication order reference