BODY STRUCTURE AND COMPOSITION OF CANOEISTS AND KAYAKERS: ANALYSIS OF JUNIOR AND TEENAGE POLISH NATIONAL CANOEING TEAM
Languages of publication
The somatic build, biological age, general state of health, mental predisposition and physical fitness are the criteria for selection of individuals in competitive sport. The present study aims to analys the differences in body structure and composition of canoeists and kayakers and derive conclusions regarding the criteria for selection of individuals incompetitive sport. The research was conducted on a group of 32 men aged between 17 and 22: 16 kayakers and 16 Canadian canoeists of the junior and teenage Polish national canoeing team. Body composition was examined by means of bioelectrical segmental impedance. Body build type was determined using the anthropometric Heath-Carter method. Statistical analysis was performed using the Welch t-test. The examination of morphological features reveals significant differences in the studied parameters between the canoeists and kayakers. There are also significant differences between competitors of the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games and the studied group. We found that competitive kayakers should be taller than canoeists. The lower part of the body in kayakers is more developed than in canoeists and canoeists are more dehydrated than kayakers.
- 1. Steinbright J.Qayaqs and Canoes: Native Ways of Knowing. Achorage, Alaska: Alaska Native Heritage Center; 2002.
- 2. Origin Atos. [Internet]; [place unknown]; [cited 2008]; Available from: iyrnpjcjj.
- 3. Nealy W.Kayak: The animated manual of intermediate and advanced Whitewater technique. Birmingham, AL: Menasha Ridge Press; 1986.
- 4. Mitchell JH, Haskell W, Snell P, Van Camp SP. Task Force 8: classification of sports. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005;45(8):1364-7.
- 5. Tesch PA. Physiological characteristics of elite kayak paddlers. Can J Appl Sport Sci. 1983;8(2):87-91.
- 6. Pendergast DR1, Bushnell D, Wilson DW, Cerretelli P.Energetics of kayaking. Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol. 1989;59(5):342-50.
- 7. Zamparo P, Capelli C, Guerrini G.Energetics of kayaking at submaximal and maximal speeds. Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol. 1999;80(6):542-8.
- 8. Michael JS1, Rooney KB, Smith R.The metabolic demands of kayaking: a review. J Sports Sci Med. 2008;7(1):1- 7.
- 9. Sheldon WH, Dupertuis CW, McDermott E.Atlas of Men. New York: Harper and Brothers; 1954.
- 10. Cha K, Shin S, Choi CSS, Wilmore DW. Evaluation of segmental bioelectrical impedance analysis (SBIA) for measuring muscle distribution. J ICHPER SD-ASIA1997;11–14.
- 11. Heath BH, Carter JE. A modified somatotype method.Am J Phys Anthropol. 1967;27(1):57-74.
- 12. Ackland T, Kerr D, Hume P, Ridge B, Clark S, Broad E, Ross W.Anthropometric normative data for Olympic rowers and paddlers [CD-ROM]. 2001: A Sports Medicine Odyssey: Challenges, Controversies & Change, ACT, Australia, Sports Medicine Australia; 2001.
- 13. Peeters MW, Thomis MA, Claessens AL, Loos RJ, Maes HH, Lysens R, Vanden Eynde B, Vlietinck R, Beunen G.Heritability of somatotype components from early adolescence into young adulthood: a multivariate analysis on a longitudinal twin study. Ann Hum Biol. 2003;30(4):402-18.
- 14. Peeters MW, Thomis MA, Loos RJ, Derom CA, Fagard R, Claessens AL, Vlietinck RF, Beunen GP. Heritability of somatotype components: a multivariate analysis. Int J Obes (Lond). 2007;31(8):1295-301.
- 15. Telford R, Tumulty D, Damm G. Skinfold measurements in well performed Australian athletes. Sports Science and Medicine Quarterly, 1984;1:13-6.
- 16. Ackland TR, Ong KB, Kerr DA, Ridge B. Morphological characteristics of Olympic sprint canoe and kayak paddlers. J Sci Med Sport. 2003;6(3):285-94.
- 17. Cressie NAC, Withers RT, Craig NP. The statistical analysis of somatotype data. Am J Phys Anthropol. 1986;29:197– 208.
- 18. Ziemilska A. Budowa somatyczna zawodników wysoko kwalifikowanych. Wyniki badań AWF. 1973;17:1-88. In Polish.
- 19. Carter JEL, Ross WD, Aubry SP, Hebbelinck M, Borms J. Anthropometry of Montreal athletes. In: Carter JEL, editor. Medicine and sport: physical structure of olympic athletes, vol. 16. Basel: Karger; 1986. p.25–52.
- 20. Dimakopolou E, Blazevich AJ, Kaloupsis S, Diafas V, Bachev V. Prediction of stroking characteristics of elite rowers upon anthropometric variables. Serb. J Sport Sci. 2007;1:91- 7.
- 21. Kameyama O, Shibano K, Kawakita H, Ogawa R, Kumamoto M. Medical check of competitive canoeists. J Orthop Sci. 1999;4(4):243-9.
Publication order reference