Cushing’s disease: is pasireotide LAR a breakthrough in adjuvant therapy after unsuccessful surgery?
Languages of publication
Cushing’s disease is a rare endocrine disorder caused by ACTH-secreting pituitary adenoma. The treatment of choice is a transsphenoidal surgery performed by an experienced neurosurgeon. However, in some patients adjuvant treatment is required due to ineffective surgery or disease recurrence. This article discusses new aspects of pharmacological treatment of ACTH-dependent hypercortisolism in light of a recent publication reporting the efficacy and safety of once a month pasireotide LAR injections in Cushing’s disease.
- Department of Gastroenterology, Endocrinology and Internal Diseases, Military Institute of Medicine, Warsaw, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Doctoral Studies, Military Institute of Medicine, Warsaw
- Department of Diabetes, Institute of Mother and Child, Warsaw
- 1. Arnaldi G, Angeli A, Atkinson BA. Diagnosis and complications of Cushing’s syndrome: a consensus statement. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003; 88: 5593-5602.
- 2. Biller BMK, Grossman AB, Stewart PM et al. Treatment of adrenocorticotropin-dependent Cushing’s syndrome: a consensus statement. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008; 93: 2454-2462.
- 3. Nieman LK, Biller BMK, Findling JW et al. The diagnosis of Cushing’s syndrome: an endocrine society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008; 93: 1526-1540.
- 4. Pivonello R. De Martino MC, Cappabianca P et al. The medical treatment of Cushing’s disease: effectiveness of chronic treatment with the dopamine agonist cabergoline in patients unsuccessfully treated by surgery. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2009: 94(1): 223-230. DOI: 10.1210/jc.2008-1533.
- 5. Colao A, Petersenn S, Newell-Price J et al. A 12-month phase 3 study of pasireotide in Cushing’s disease. N Engl J Med 2012; 366(10): 914-24. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1105743.
- 6. Lacroix A, Gu F, Gallardo W, Pivonello R et al. Pasireotide G2304 Study Group. Efficacy and safety of once-monthly pasireotide in Cushing’s disease: a 12 month clinical trial. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2017. PII: S2213-8587(17)30326-1. DOI: 10.1016/S2213-8587(17)30326-1 [Epub ahead of print].
Publication order reference