Investigation of groundwater potential zone using Geospatial Technology in Bahir Dar Zuria District, Amhara, Ethiopia
Languages of publication
Geospatial technology has been done to identify spatially the extents of highly suitable and moderately suitable areas for groundwater demarcation. Several input parameters (land use, soil type, slope, geology, geomorphology, and lineament) used to maps Groundwater potential assessment. Each thematic map has been reclassified into five classes. Suitable weightages have been given to each class with respect to its groundwater potential influences. Area of all raster formats of all parameters were calculated by GIS environment. All the weighted input parameters have been overlaid using “Weighted Overlay Analysis” tool in ArcGIS 10.3 platform. The results showed that 8.26 Km2, 441.74 Km2, 812.86 Km2, 198.01 Km2 and 80.57 Km2 of the study area fall in “Highly suitable, High, suitable, Medium suitable, Low suitable and Very Low suitable” category of groundwater potential respectively.
-  Deepa S, Venkateswaran S, Ayyandurai R, Kannan R, Prabhu MV (2016). Groundwater recharge potential zones mapping in upper Manimuktha Sub basin Vellar river Tamil Nadu India using GIS and remote sensing techniques. Modeling Earth Syst Environ 2(3): 137
-  Chowdhury, A., Jha M.K, Machiwal, D., (2003). Application of remote sensing and GIS in groundwater studies: an overview. Proceedings of the international conference on water & environment (WE-2003). Ground Water Pollution. 15–18 December 2003, MP, India, pp. 39–50.
-  Das S (2017). Delineation of groundwater potential zone in hard rock terrain in Gangajalghati block, Bankura district, India using remote sensing and GIS techniques. Modeling Earth Syst Environ 3(4): 1589–1599. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40808-017-0396-7
-  Sener E, Davraz A, Ozcelik M (2005). An integration of GIS and remote sensing in groundwater investigations: a case study in Burdur, Turkey. Hydrogeol J 13(5–6): 826–834
-  Varughese A, Suhail A, Chitra MG, Jiji PS, Deepthy C, Raneesh KY (2012). Identiﬁcation of shallow groundwater potential zones using GIS—a case study. Int J Adv Eng Appl 1(4): 65–70
-  Lone MS, Nagaraju D, Mahadavesamy G, Siddalingamurthy S (2013). Applications of GIS and remote sensing to delineate artiﬁcial recharge zones (DARZ) of groundwater in H.D. Kote taluk, Mysore district, Karnataka, India. Int J Remote Sens Geosci 2(3): 92–97
-  Narendra K, Rao KN, Latha PS (2013) Integrating remote sensing and GIS for identiﬁcation of groundwater prospective zones in the Narava Basin, Visakhapatnam Region, Andhra Pradesh. J Geol Soc India 81(2): 248–260
-  Elbeih, S., 2015. An Overview of Integrated Remote Sensing and GIS for Groundwater Mapping in Egypt. Ain Shams Engineering Journal 6, pp. 1–15, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.asej.2014.08.008
-  Hussein, A., Govindu, V., Nigusse, A.G., 2016. Evaluation of Groundwater Potential Using Geospatial Techniques. Applied Water Sciences. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13201-016-0433-0
-  Kumar, D., Dev, P., 2014. Groundwater Potential Zone Identification of Karawi Area, Mandakini River Basin, Uttar Pradesh Using Remote Sensing and GIS Techniques. International Journal of Engineering and Science Invention Volume 3; page: 10-19
-  Magesh N., Chandrasekar N., Soundranayagam J., 2012. Delineation of Groundwater Potential Zones in Theni District, Tamil Nadu, Using Remote Sensing, GIS and MIF Techniques. Geoscience Froniers. 3(2). http://www.sciencedirect.comdoi:10.1016/j.gsf.2011.10.007
-  Chowdhury A, Jha MK, Chowdary VM (2010) Delineation of groundwater recharge zones and identification of artificial recharge sites in West Medinipur district, West Bengal, using RS, GIS and MCDM techniques. Environ Earth Sci 59(6): 1209
-  Abiy A. Z., Demissie S. S., MacAlister C., Dessu S. B., and Melesse A. M. (2015) Groundwater Recharge and Contribution to the Tana Sub-basin, Upper Blue Nile Basin, Ethiopia.
-  Dasho OA, Ariyibi EA, Akinluyi FO, Awoyemi MO, Adebayo AS (2017) Application of satellite remote sensing to groundwater potential modeling in Ejigbo area, Southwestern Nigeria. Modeling Earth Syst Environ 3(2): 615–633
-  Kieffer B., Arndt N., Lapierre H., Bastien F., Bosch D., Pecher A., Gezahegn Yirgu Dereje Ayalew, Weis D., Jeram D.A., and Keller F., Meugniot C. Flood and shield from Ethiopia: Magmas from the African supper swell, 2004. Journal of Petrology, volume-45, page 793834.
-  Blandford, W.T., 1869. On the geology of the Taptee and lower Nerbudda valleys and some adjacent districts. Mem. Geol. Surv. India, 6(Pt 3), pp. 344-351.
-  Abreu, P., Adam, W., Adye, T., Ajinenko, I., Alekseev, G.D., Alemany, R., Allport, P.P., Almehed, S., Amaldi, U., Amato, S. and Andersson, P., 1998. Search for charginos, neutralinos and gravitinos at LEP. The European Physical Journal C, 1(1-2), pp. 1-20.
-  Kazmin, V.N. and Orlov, I.V., 1968. Principles of geochemical mapping in geologic surveying. International Geology Review, 10(1), pp.79-86.
-  Sankar K (2002) Evaluation of groundwater potential zones using remote sensing data in Upper Vaigai river basin, Tamil Nadu, India. J Indian Soc Remote Sens 30(3): 119–129
-  Pik, R., Deniel, C., Coulon, C., Yirgu, G., Hofmann, C. and Ayalew, D., 1998. The northwestern Ethiopian Plateau flood basalts: classification and spatial distribution of magma types. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 81(1-2), pp. 91-111.
-  Guru, B., Seshan, K. and Bera, S., 2017. Frequency ratio model for groundwater potential mapping and its sustainable management in cold desert, India. Journal of King Saud University-Science, 29(3), pp. 333-347.
-  Ghosh PK, Bandyopadhyay S, Jana NC (2016) Mapping of groundwater potential zones in hard rock terrain using geoinformatics: a case of Kumari watershed in western part of West Bengal. Modeling Earth Syst Environ 2(1): 1
-  Avinash K, Deepika B, Jayappa KS (2014) Basin geomorphology and drainage morphometry parameters used as indicators for groundwater prospect: insight from geographical information system (GIS) technique. J Earth Sci 25(6): 1018
-  Kumar A, Srivastava SK (1991) Geomorphological units, their geohydrological characteristic and vertical electrical sounding response near Munger, Bihar. J Indian Soc Remote Sens 19(3): 205–215
-  Saaty, T. L., 1980, The analytic hierarchy process: New York, McGraw-Hill, 287 p.
Publication order reference