Impact of Role-play Activity on Evolution of Cohesion among Students with Specific Language Impairment
Languages of publication
In the present study we aimed to evaluate the effect of role-play on group cohesion among students with specific language impairmentt. This pre and post-test study rely on role-play and primarily based on two standardized assessment methods. Twelve students with specific language impairment were participated. After twenty-seven sessions of role-play, group cohesion index and sociometric scale were established and carried out accordingly. The results characterized as statistically significant. This study laid useful groundwork for the future implementation of role-play that may provide additional insights into group cohesion of children with specific language impairment research.
-  St Clair, M. C., Pickles, A., Durkin, K., and Conti-Ramsden, G. (2011). A longitudinal study of behavioral, emotional and social difficulties in individuals with a history of specific language impairment (SLI). Journal of Communication Disorders, 44(2), 186-199.
-  Hart, K. I., Fujiki, M., Brinton, B., and Hart, C. H. (2004). The relationship between social behavior and severity of language impairment. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 47(3), 647-662.
-  Gertner, B. L., Rice, M. L., and Hadley, P. A. (1994). Influence of communicative competence on peer preferences in a preschool classroom. Journal of Speech and Hearing Research, 37(4), 913-923.
-  Hadley, P. A., and Rice, M. L. (1991). Conversational responsiveness of speech and language impaired preschoolers. Journal of Speech and Hearing Research, 34(6), 1308-1317.
-  Windsor, J. (1995). Language impairment and social consequence. In M. E. Fey, J. Windsor, & S. F. Warren (Eds.). Language intervention: Preschool through the elementary years, Baltimore: Paul H. Brookes Publishing Co.
-  Beilinson, J. S., and Olswang, L. B. (2003). Facilitating peer-group entry in kindergartners with impairments in social communication. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 34(2), 154-166.
-  Clegg, J., and Ginsborg, J. (2006). Language and social disadvantage: Theory into practice. Chichester West Sussex: John Wiley & Sons.
-  Stanton-Chapman, T. L., Justice, L. M., Skibbe, L. E., and Grant, S. L. (2007). Social and behavioural characteristics of preschoolers with specific language impairment. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education, 27(2), 98-109.
-  Leonard, L. B. (2014). Children with Specific Language Impairment. 2nd edition. Cambridge, MA, MIT Press.
-  Murphy, S. (2013). The roles of speech-language pathologists and special education teachers in service provision for students with special needs: An examination of the collaboration between professionals. The William Paterson University of New Jersey.
-  Marsh, D. T., Serafica, F. C., and Barenboim, C. (1980). Effect of perspective-taking training on interpersonal problem solving. Child Development, 51(1), 140-145.
-  Lane, C., and Rollnick, S. (2007). The use of simulated patients and role-play in communication skills training: A review of the literature to august 2005. Patient Education and Counseling, 67(1-2), 13-20.
-  Kusnierek, A. (2015). Developing students’ speaking skills through role-play. World Scientific News, 1, 73-111.
-  Clement, R., Dornyei, Z., and Noels, A. (1994). Motivation, self-confidence, and group cohesion in the foreign language classroom. Language Learning, 44(3), 417-448.
-  Rao, D., and Stupans, I. (2012). Exploring the potential of role-play in higher education: Development of a typology and teacher guidelines. Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 49(4), 427-436.
-  Qing, X. U. (2011). Role-play an effective approach to developing overall communicative competence. Cross-Cultural Communication, 7(4), 36-39.
-  Daly, A., Grove, S. J., Dorsch, M. J., and Fisk R. P. (2009). The impact of improvisation training on service employees in a European airline: A case study. European journal of marketing, 43(3/4), 459-472.
-  Alkin, M. C., and Christie, C.A. (2002). The use of role-play in teaching evaluation. American Journal of Evaluation, 23(2), 209-218.
-  Bryant, J. W., and Darwin J. A. (2004). Exploring inter-organisational relationships in the health service: An immersive drama approach. European Journal of Operational Research, 152(3), 655-666.
-  Howell, J. (1991). Using role-play as a teaching method. Teaching Public Administration, 12(1), 69-75.
-  Nilsson, B., and Waldemarson, A. K. (1988). Rollspel i teori och praktik. Lund: Studentlitteratur. Grysell T. and Winka, K. (2010c). Jokerrollen – länken mellan spelare och deltagare. In T. Grysell and K. Winka (Eds.), Gestaltandets utmaningar forumaktiviteter och lärande, 113-127, Lund: Studentlitteratur. (Swedish language).
-  Joyce, B., and Weil, M. (1986). Models of teaching (3rd ed.). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
-  Beal, D. J., Cohen, R. R, Burke, M. J., and McLendon, C. L. (2003). Cohesion and performance in groups: A meta-analytic clarification of construct relation. Journal of Applied Psychology, 88(6), 989-1004.
-  Carron, A. V., and Brawley, L. R. (2000). Cohesion: Conceptual and measurement issues. Small Group Research, 31(1), 89-106.
-  Festinger, L. (1950). Informal social communication. Psychological Review, 57(5), 271-282.
-  Festinger, L., Schachter, S., and Back, K. (1950). Social pressures in informal groups: A study of human factors in housing. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
-  Gross, N., and Martin, W. E. (1952). On group cohesiveness. The American Journal of Sociology, 57(6), 546-564.
-  Seashore, S. E. (1954). Group cohesiveness in the industrial work group. Ann Arbor: Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan.
-  Piper, W. E., Marrache, M., Lacroix, R., Richardsen, A. M., and Jones, B. D. (1983). Cohesion as a basic bond in groups. Human Relations, 36(2), 93-108.
-  Goodman, P. S., Ravlin, E., and Schminke, M. (1987). Understanding groups in organizations. Research in organizational behaviour, 9: 121-173.
-  Tajfel, H. (1982). Social Identity and Intergroup Relations. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. pp. 25-29.
-  Carron, A. V., and Spink, K. S. (1995). The group-size cohesion relationship in minimal groups. Small Group Research, 26(1), 86-105.
-  Gerard, H.B., and Mathewson, G.C. (1966). The effect of severity of initiation on liking for a group: A replication. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 2(3), 278-287.
-  Zaccaro, S. J., and McCoy, M. C. (1988). The Effects of Task and Interpersonal Cohesiveness on Performance of a Disjunctive Group Task. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 18(10), 837-851.
-  Murphy, S.M. (1995). Editor. Sport Psychology Interventions. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics. pp. 154-157.
-  Thompson, W. R., and Rapkin, D. P. (1981). Collaboration, Consensus, and Detente: The External Threat-Bloc Cohesion Hypothesis. The Journal of Conflict Resolution, 25(4), 615-637.
-  Rempel, M. W., and Fisher, R. J. (1997). Perceived Threat, Cohesion, and Group Problem Solving in Intergroup Conflict. International Journal of Conflict Management, 8(3): 216-234.
-  Moreno, J. L. (1960). The Sociometry Reader. Glencoe, Illinois: The Free Press.
-  Hale, A.E. (1985). Conducting Clinical Sociometric Explorations: A Manual. Roanoke, Virginia: Royal Publishing Company.
-  Vygotsky, L. S. (1967). Play and its Role in Development (Original 1933/1935). Soviet Psychology, 5(3), 62-76.
-  Leontiev, A. N. (1978). Activity, Consciousness. Personality. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
-  Babanskii, J. K. (1982). Optimization of educational process: Methodical bases, Moscow: Education.
-  Martsinkovskaya, T. D. (1998). The history of psychology: text-book for students of the pedagogical universities. Moscow: VLADOS. Humanities Publishing.
-  Roginska, M. (2013). Game-based language teaching – Chapter II. World Scientific News, 1, 14-19.
-  Hogg, M. A. (1993). Group cohesiveness: A critical review and some new directions. European Review of Social Psychology, 4(1), 85-111.
-  Feltz, D. L. (1992). Understanding motivation in sport: A self efficacy perspective. In G. C. Roberts (Ed). Motivation in sport and exercise. Champaign, IL.
-  Antonovsky, A. (1979). Health, stress and coping. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers.
Publication order reference