Dependence of Molecular Flexibility of Lateral Group on Mesomorphism
Languages of publication
A Chalconyl homologous series: RO-C6H4-CH=CH-CO-C6H4-OC12H25(n) (meta) of novel liquid crystalline (LC) derivatives of thermotropic variety have been synthesized and studied with a view to understand the effect of molecular structure on LC behaviours with reference to varying flexibility due to tailed end group for the same homologue and from homologue to homologue in the same series. A novel series consisted of thirteen homologues whose first member is nonliquidcrystals and the rest of the homologues are LC in enantiotropic or monotropic condition. Nematogenic mesomorphism commences from C2 homologue. C2 to C5 homologues are enantiotropic nematic and C6 to C18 homologues are monotropic nematic. Smectogenic character commences from C4 homologue as enantiotropic manner and C6 to C18 derivatives are monotroic smectic. Transition temperatures and textures of mesophases were determined by an optical polarising microscopy (POM) equipped with a heating stage. The transition curves of a phase diagram behaved in normal manner. Spectral, analytical and thermal data supported the molecular structures of homologues. Thermal stability for smectic is low of the order of 56.0 °C and that of the nematic is 70.5 °C. The corresponding mesophaselengths for smectic and nematic are varied minimum to maximum are 1 or 2 °C to 15 °C and 5 to 29 °C respectively. The group efficiency order derived on the basis of thermal stability .
- Chemistry Department, K. K. Shah Jarodwala Maninagar Science College, Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chemistry Department, K. K. Shah Jarodwala Maninagar Science College, Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India, email@example.com
-  F. Reinitzer, Monatsh 9, 421, (1888).
-  Imrie, C. T., Liq. Crystal dimers. Struct. Bond 95 (1999) 149-192.
-  Gray G.W. (1974) ln; Gray G.W. and P.A. Winsor P.A. (eds.) Liquid crystal and plastic crystals , Chapter 4 , Volume 1, 103-153.
-  Gray G.W., Molecular Structure and properties of liquid crystals, Academic press, Landon, 1962.
-  Gray G.W. and B. Jones Mesomorphism and chemical constitution part-3, The effect of halogen substitution on the 4-Alloy benzoic acids, Journal of chemical society (1954), 2556-2562.
-  Henderson P.A., Niemeyer O., and Imrie C.T., Methylene-linked liquid crystal dimmers, Liq. Cryst. 28 (2001) 463-472.
-  Collings P.J. and Hird M. (1997). Introduction of Liquid crystals chemistry and Physics, Taylor and Francis Ltd. U.K. 1998.
-  Narmura S., Advance LCD technologies, Display 22(1) (2001) 1.
-  Kim W.S., Elston S.J., and Raynes F.P., Display29 (2008) PP.458-463.
-  Dr. L.K. Omray, Current trends in Technology and Science, Vol. II, Issue : VI, Liquid Crystals as novel vesicular delivery system, A review.
-  Gray G.W. and Winsor P.A. (Eds) Liquid Crystals and plastic crystals, chapter-6.2, The role of liquid crystal in life processes by G.T. Stewart, Vol. 1, 308-326.
-  Calliste C.A., Le Bail J.C., Trouilas P., Poug C., Chulia A.J., Duroux L.J., Anticancer, Res. 2001, 21, 3949-3956.
-   G. Rajesh, K.Mansi, K. Srikant, B. Babasaheb, D. Nagesh, S.Kavita, C. Ajay, Chem. Pharm. Bull, 2008, 56, 897-901.
-  Jain Upendra K., Bhatia Rich K., Rao Akkinepally R., Ranjit singh, Saxsena Ajit K and Seha lrun, “Design and Development of Halogenated Chalcone derivatives as potential anticancer Agents “ Tropical Journal of pharmaceutical Research, January 2014: 13(1), 73-80.
-  Gaikwad Prajkata P., Desai Maya T., “Liquid crystalline phase and its Pharma application” International journal of Pharma Research and Review, Dec. 2013; 2(12); 40-52.
-  Hird. M, Toyne. K. J, and Gray G.W. , Day S.E and Mc. Donell D.G (1993). Liq. Cryst. 15, 123.
-  Hird. M, Toyne. K.J, Gray G.W. , Day S.E. (1993). Liq. Cryst.14, 741.
-  Macros M, Omenat. A ,Serrano. J.L. and Ezcurra. A(1992), Adv. Matter, 4, 285.
-  lmrie C.T and Luckhrust G.R, , “Liquid Dimers and Oligomers in handbook of Liquid Crystal, law molecular liquid crystals; Vol. 2B, Demus D. , Goodby J.W., Graw G.W., Spiess H. and Vill V. eds, Willey-VCH weinhe 1998, 801-833.
-  Dermus D., 100 years of liquid crystals chemistry, Mol. Cryst. 165 (1998) 45-84.
-  Dermus D., Plenary lectures 100 years of liquid crystals chemistry, Thermotropic liquid crystals with conventional and unconventional molecular structures, Liq. Cryst, 5 (1998) 75-100.
-  Doshi et al (i) Suthar D.M. and Doshi A.V., Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. Vol. 575, 76-83. (ii) Chauhan H.N. and Doshi A.V., Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. Vol. 570, 92-100 (2013). (iii) Chaudhari R.P., Chauhan M.L. and Doshi A.V.,Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. Vol. 575, 88-95 (2013).
- (iv) Bhoya U.C., Vyas N.N. and Doshi A.V., Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst., Vol. 552. 104-110. (2012).
-  Suthar D.M., Doshi A.A. and Doshi A.V., “Synthesis of liquid crystalline state and evaluation of its properties through a novel Homologous series”, Mole. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. Vol. 582, 79-87, 2013.
-  Marathe Rajesh B. , Vyas N.N. and Doshi A.V., “Moleculer Flexibility Operated Mesomorphism”, ILCPA, Scipress Ltd. , Vol. 52, 163-171 (2015).
-  Patel B.H. and Doshi A.V. “Effect of a Central Group on Mesomorphism” Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst., Vol. 607, 114, (2015).
-  Patel B.H. and Doshi A.V. “ Synthesis and Liquid Crystal Behavior of a Novel Ester Homologous Series” Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst., Vol. 605, 23-31 (2014).
-  Aurangzeb Hasan, Asghar Abbas, Muhammed Nadeem Akhtar., Molecule 16, 7789-7802 (2011).
-  Nikitin K.V., Andryukhova N.P., Can. J. Chem., 82, 571, (2004).
-  Furniss, B.S., Hannford, A. J., Smith, P. W.G., and Tatchell, A. R. (Revisors). (1989). Vogel’s Textbook of Practical Organic Chemistry (4thEdn.), longmann Singapore Publishers Pvt. Ltd.: Singapore, 563-649.
-  Vinay S. Sharma, B.B.Jain and R.B. Patel “ Study the effects of Decreasing Molecular Rigidity on Mesomorphism” Paper Submitted for Publication in ILCPA, Scipress Ltd dated 13th December 2015.
-  Vinay S. Sharma, B.B. Jain and R.B. Patel “Dependance of Mesomorphism on Molecular Rigidity of Chalconyl Central Bridge Bonded to two Phenyl Rings” Paper Submitted for Publication in ILCPA, Scipress Ltd dated 13th December 2015.
Publication order reference