Managed Play: The Media’s Impact on Play in the Australian Football League
- AFL.com.au. (2017). AFL rules-Laws of the game 2017 (2017). Retrieved July 13, 2017, from http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/laws-of-the-game
- AFL.com.au, (2013a). Full statement from Essendon chairman David Evans. Retrieved February 27, 2013, from http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-02-27/full-statement-from-essendon
- AFL.com.au (2013b). A full statement: Melbourne tanking penalties. Retrieved March 28, 2013, from http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-02-19/afl-full-statement-melbourne-tanking-penalties
- Australian Crime Commission. (2013, February). Organised crime and drugs in sport: New generation performance and image enhancing drugs and organised crime involvement in their use in professional sport. Retrieved March 2, 2014 from https://www.crimecommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/organised-crime-and-drugs-in-sport-feb2013.pdf
- Bourdieu, P. (1986). The Forms of Capital. In J.G. Richardson (Ed.), Handbook of Theory and Research for the Sociology of Education (pp. 241-258). New York: Greenwood Press.
- Bourdieu, P. (1979). Outline of a Theory of Practice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Bourdieu, P. (1993). Sociology in Question trans. Richard Nice, London: Sage.
- Bourdieu, P. (1990). Structures, Habitus, Practices. In P. Bourdieu (Ed.), The Logic of Practice. Stanford, Stanford University Press.
- Caillois, R. (2006). The Definition of Play and The Classification of Games. In K. Salen, and E. Zimmerman (Eds.), The Game Design Reader: A Rules of Play Anthology, Massachusetts. Boston: Institute of Technology.
- Duncan, S. (2016). Footy Grounds to Grandstands: Play, Community and the Australian Football League. Port Adelaide: Ginninderra Press.
- Fox Footy. (2012). On the couch: Interview with Brock Mclean. (2012, July 30). Melbourne: Fox Sports.
- Goldlust, J. (1987). Playing for Keeps: Sport, the Media and Society. Melbourne: Longman Cheshire.
- Hans, J.S. (1981). The play of the world. Boston: University of Massachusetts Press.
- Hayes, A. (2015). How much does it cost to get an NRL and AFL grand final TV advertising spot? Retrieved July 13, 2017, from https://mumbrella.com.au/how-much-does-it-cost-to-get-an-nrl-and-afl-grand-final-tv-advertising-spot-322414
- Huizinga, J. (1950). Homo Ludens: A Study of the Play-Element in Culture. Boston: Beacon Press. First published in 1938 by Wolters-Noordhoff.
- Lasch, C. (1980). The Culture of Narcissism: American Life in an Age of Diminishing Expectations. London: Abacus.
- Millar, S. (1968). The psychology of play. Oxford: Penguin Books Ltd.
- McLachlan, G. (2015). AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan's statement on new broadcast deal. Retrieved August 18, 2015, from http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-18/afl-ceo-gillon-mclachlans-statement-on-new-broadcast-deal
- Nicholson, M., Kerr, A. & Sherwood, M. (2015). Sport and the Media: Managing the Nexus. 2nd edn. London: Routledge.
- Orive, S. (1996). Victorian Rules: Populi Ludos Populo-The Game of the People for the People. Melbourne: State Library of Victoria.
- Rowe, D. (2004). Understanding sport and media: A socio-historical approach. In: Sport, Culture and the Media: The Unruly Trinity 2nd edn. (pp. 11-36). Berkshire: Open University Press.
- Sutton-Smith, B. (1997) The ambiguity of play. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Sleight, S. (1989). Sponsorship: What It Is and How to Use It. Berkshire: McGraw-Hill.
- Tomlinson, A. (2004). Pierre Bourdieu and the Sociological Study of Sport: Habitus, Capital and Field. In R. Guilianotti (Ed.), Sport and Modern Social Theorists. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Wilson, C. (2006a, August 11). Fair call? No way say clubs’ chief executives. Retrieved April 27, 2013, from http://www.theage.com.au/afl//news/afl/fair-call-no-way-say-club-executives/200608/10/1154803032324.html
- Wilson, C. (2006b). Roos fuming at ten’s commentary. (2006, August 15). The Age, p. 89.
Publication order reference