Does the addition of soil amendments have a positive influence on landfill soils?
Languages of publication
Waste disposal in landfills is one of most frequently used methods of municipal solid waste (MSW) management. Landfills disturb to a certain extent the landscape character and disposal of waste in landfils represents one of human activities that may impair natural ecosystems. Due to waste decomposition, numerous chemical, physical and biological reactions and changes occur within the landfill body that give rise to dangerous and harmful substances. One of the problems very often occurring in the landfill surrounding is soil contamination. This study is focused on the assessment of soils contamination due to the operation of sanitary MSW landfill. The aim was to determine the effect of diatomite and compost on soil phytotoxicity. Toxicity was assessed in a pot experiment with soil amendments. Soil samples (sample 1–4) for the experiment were taken from the landfill site (sample 1–3) and its surrounding (sample 4). The aim of this study was to check relation between soil amendments added to the soil sample and the amount of biomass produced by some plant species (Sinapis alba L., Hordeum vulgare L.). In this study soil amendments improved soil characteristics. The paper shows that a higher percentage of biomass weight increase was recorded in samples 1, 2, 3 and 4 with the addition of compost. As compared with the addition of diatomite, biomass weight in the samples with the added compost increased on average by 67.25%. Therefore, it can be stated that the addition of diatomite did not advance the plant growth as much as the addition of compost. The potential of using soil amendments in practice is promising.
19 - 09 - 2018
-  Adrees, M., Ali, S., Rizwan, M., Zia-ur-Rehman, M., Ibrahim, M., Abbas, F., Farid, M., Qayyum, M.F., Irshad, M.K., 2015. Mechanisms of silicon-mediated alleviation of heavy metal toxicity in plants: A review. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 119: 186–197.
-  Aziz, H.A, Adlan, M.N., Zahari, M.S.M., Alias, S., 2004. Removal of ammoniacal nitrogen (N-NH3) from municipal solid waste leachate by using activated carbon and limestone. Waste Management and Research, 22: 371–375.
-  Białowiec, A., 2015. Transpiration as landfill leachate phytotoxicity indicator. Waste Management, 39: 189–196.
-  Bhatt, A.H., Karanjekar, R.V., Altouqi, S., Melanie, L. Sattler, M.L., Hossain, M.D.S, Chen, V.P., 2017. Estimating landfil leachate BOD and COD based on rainfall, ambient temperature, and waste composition: Exploration of a MARS statistical approach. Environmental Technology and Innovation, 8: 1–16.
-  Caicedo-Concha, D.M., Sandoval-Cobo, J.J., Whiting, K., 2016. An experimental study on the impact of two dimensional materials in waste disposal sites: What are the implications for engineered landfills? Sustainable Environment Research, 26, 6: 255–261.
-  Dao, L., Morrison, L., Zhang, H., Zhang, C., 2014. Influences of traffic on Pb, Cu and Zn concentrations in roadside soils of an urban park in Dublin, Ireland. Environmental Geochemistry and Health, 36: 333–343.
-  Dessalew, G., Beyene, A., Nebiyu, A., Ruelle, A.M., 2017. Use of industrial diatomite wastes from beer production to improve soil fertility and cereal yields. Journal of Cleaner Production, 157: 22–29.
-  Feng, C., Zhang, S., Li, L., Wang, G., Xu, X., X., Li, X.T., Zhong, O., 2018. Feasibility of four wastes to remove heavy metals from contaminated soils. Journal of Environmental Management, 212: 258–265.
-  Gąsiorek, M., Kowalska, J., Mazurek, R., Pająk, M., 2017. Comprehensive assessment of heavy metal pollution in topsoil of historical urban park on an example of the Planty Park in Krakow (Poland). Chemosphere, 179, 148–158.
-  Gworek, B., Dmuchowski, W., Koda, E., Marecka, M., Baczewska, A.H., Brągoszewska, P., Sieczka, A., Osiński, P., 2016. Impact of the municipal solid waste Łubna landfil on environmental pollution by heavy metals. Water, 8(10): 470.
-  Hrbáčková, M., 2018. Measurement of phytotoxicity and the possibility of soil remediation in the vicinity of the municipal solid waste landfil Zdounky. Semester work. High School Brno Řečkovice, Czech Republic.
-  Cheng, H., Li, M., Zhao, C., Li, K., Peng, M., Qin, A., Cheng, X., 2014. Overview of trace metals in the urban soil of 31 metropolises in China. Journal of Geochemical Exploration, 139: 31–52.
-  Jiang, Y., Chao, S., Liu, J., Yang, Y., Chen, Y., Zhang, A., Cao, H., 2017. Source apportionment and health risk assessment of heavy metals in soil for a township in Jiangsu Province, China. Chemosphere, 168: 1658–1668.
-  Koda, E., Osinski, P., Sieczka, A., Wychowaniak, D., 2015. Areal distribution of ammonium contamination of soil-water environment in the vicinity of old municipal landfil site with vertical barrier. Water, 7: 2656–2672.
-  Li, H., Ji, H., 2017. Chemical speciation, vertical profie and human health risk assessment of heavy metals in soils from coal-mine brownfild, Beijing, China. Journal of Geochemical Exploration, 183: 22–32.
-  Lin, C.-C., Chen, S.-J., Huang, K.-L., Hwang, W.-I., Chang-Chien, G.-P., Lin, W.-Y., 2005. Characteristics of metals in nano/ultrafie/fie/coarse particles collected beside a heavily trafficed road. Environmental Science, 39, 8113–8122.
-  Linger, P., Müssig, J., Fischer, H., Kobert, J., 2001. Industrial hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) growing on heavy metal contaminated soil: Fibre quality and phytoremediation potential. Industrial Crops and Products, 16(1): 33–42.
-  Lough, G.C., Schauer, J.J., Park, J.-S., Shafer, M.M., DeMinter, J.T., Weinstein, J.P., 2005. Emissions of metals associated with motor vehicle roadways. Environmental Science, 39: 826–836.
-  Luo, Y., Liang, J., Zeng, G., Chen, M., Mo, D., Li, G., Zhang, D., 2018. Seed germination test for toxicity evaluation of compost: Its roles, problems and prospects. Waste Management, 71: 109–114.
-  Mehr, M., Keshavarzi, B., Moore, F., Sharifi R., Lahijanzadeh, A., Kermani, M., 2017. Distribution, source identifiation and health risk assessment of soil heavy metals in urban areas of Isfahan province, Iran. Journal of African Earth Sciences, 132: 16–26.
-  Morozesk, M., Bonomo, M.M., Rocha, L.D., Duarte, I.D., Zanezi, E.R.L., Jesus, H.C., Fernandes, M.N., Matsumoto, S.T., 2016. Landfil leachate sludge use as soil additive prior and after electrocoagulation treatment: A cytological assessment using CHO-k1 Cells. Chemosphere, 158: 66–71.
-  Pandey, V.Ch., Bajpai, O., Singh, N., 2016. Energy crops in sustainable phytoremediation. Renewable and Sustainable. Energy Reviews, 54: 58–73.
-  Radić, S., Medunić, G., Kuharić, Ž., Roje, V., Maldini, K., Vujčić, V., Krivohlavek, A., 2018. The effect of hazardous pollutants from coal combustion activity: Phytotoxicity assessment of aqueous soil extracts. Chemosphere, 199: 191–200.
-  Reijs, J.W., Meijer, W.H., Bakker, E.J., Lantinga, E.A., 2003. Explorative research into quality of slurry manure from dairy farms with different feeding strategies. NJAS – Wageningen. Journal of Life Sciences, 51(1–2): 67–89.
-  Rivera, M.B., Giráldez, M.I., Fernández-Caliani, J.C., 2016. Assessing the environmental availability of heavy metals in geogenically contaminated soils of the Sierra de Aracena Natural Park (SW Spain). Is there a health risk? Science of The Total Environment, 560–561: 254–265.
-  Shakoor, M.B., Nawaz, R., Hussain, F., Raza, M., Ali, S., Rizwan, M., Oh, S.-E., Ahmad, S., 2017. Human health implications, risk assessment and remediation of As-contaminated water: A critical review. Science of The Total Environment, 601–602: 756–769.
-  Shen, F., Liao, R., Ali, A., Mahar, A., Guo, D., Li, R., Xining, S., Awasthi, M.K., Wang, Q., Zhang, Z., 2017. Spatial distribution and risk assessment of heavy metals in soil near a Pb/Zn smelter in Feng County, China. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 139: 254–262.
-  Vaverková, M.D, Zloch, J., Radziemska, M., Adamcová, D., 2017. Environmental impact of landfill on soils – the example of the Czech Republic. Polish Journal of Soil Science, 50(1): 93–105.
-  Voběrková, S., Vaverková, M.D., Burešová, A., Adamcová, D., Vršanská, M., Kynický, J., Brtnický, M., Adam, V., 2017. Effect of inoculation with white-rot fungi and fungal consortium on the composting effiiency of municipal solid waste. Waste Management, 61: 157–164.
-  Wang, X.S., Qin, Y., Sang, S.X., 2005. Accumulation and sources of heavy metals in urban topsoils: A case study from the city of Xuzhou, China. Environmental Geology, 48: 101–107.
-  Wong, J.T., Chen, X., Mo, W., Man, Y., Ng, C.W., Wong, M., 2016. Restoration of plant and animal communities in a sanitary landfil: A 10-year case study in Hong Kong. Land Degradation and Development, 27(3): 490–499.
-  Yao, P., 2017. Perspectives on technology for landfil leachate treatment. Arabian Journal of Chemistry, 10(2): 2567–2574.
Publication order reference