Regionalisation of unutilised agricultural area in Poland
Languages of publication
Until the marketization of economy in 1990, practically there was no unutilised agricultural land in Poland. After the political transformation, the use of marginal land and part of small agricultural parcels located in areas of better soil agricultural suitability became unprofitable for economic reasons. Despite the reform of Polish agriculture, the problem of not using a large part of agricultural land is constantly present. There are currently no detailed data available on the actual scale of regionalisation and the structure of the landuse abandonment in Poland. Due to the above, the objective of this study is to fill knowledge gaps on this phenomenon. Analyses were performed based on cadastral maps for the whole country. It is the first comprehensive and detailed study of this issue, giving the full review of the regionalisation of abandoned land. Unutilised land defined as: cadastral parcels located on rural land, which is not declared as production area by farmers.The study has shown that currently in Poland more than 2.7 million ha of agricultural land is not declared by the farmers as area for agricultural activity. This assessment includes 2.03 million ha of unutilized areas of effective production (parcels > 0.3 ha), which constitutes 14.2% of the overall agricultural area. A significant proportion of the unutilised agricultural land constitute medium and high productivity soils: 59.7 thousand ha of class III, 73.87 thousand ha of class IIIa, 116.6 thousand ha of class IIIb, 240 thousand ha of class IV, 225 thousand ha of class IVa, 221 thousand ha of class IVb. Analyses showed clear regionalisation of the problem of unused potential in the agricultural production area. This situation is particularly visible in Małopolskie, Podkarpackie, Świętokrzyskie, Śląskie, and part of Mazowieckie voivodeships.
24 - 04 - 2018
- 1. Błoch, Z., Faber, A., 2007. Land use changes in voivodships (in Polish). Stud. Rap. IUNG–PIB 5: 169-178.
- 2. Dz.U. z 2001 r. Nr 38. Journal of Laws of 2001, No. 38, item 454 as amended – Appendix No. 7 Ordinance of the Minister of Regional Development and Construction of 29 March 2001 on Land and Buildings Register.
- 3. Dz.U. 2017.0.2196. Journal of Laws 2017.0.2196 t.j. – Act of 11 April 2003 on Shaping of the Agricultural System (as amended).
- 4. GUS a: Statistical Pocketbook 2000.
- 5. GUS b: National Agricultural Census 1996, 2002, 2010.
- 6. GUS c: Local Data Bank.
- 7. GUS d: Statistical Yearbooks of agriculture and rural areas 2016
- 8. Helming, K., Tabbush, P., Perez-Soba, M. (ed.), 2008. Sustainability Impact Assessment of Land Use Changes. Springer. pp 1-6.
- 9. Helming, K., Diehl, K., Kuhlman, T., Jansson, T., Verburg, P.H., Bakker, M., Perez-Soba, M., Jones, L., Johannes Verkerk, P., Tabbush, P., Breton Morris, J., Drillet, Z., Farrington, J., LeMouël, P., Zagame, P., Stuczynski, T., Siebielec, G., Wiggering, H., 2011. Ex ante impact assessment of policies affecting land use, Part B: application of the analytical framework. Ecology and Society 16 (1), 29.
- 10. Kolecka, N., Kozak, J., Kaim, D., et al. 2017.Understanding farm land abandonment in the Polish Carpathians. Appl Geogr. 88: 62-72. https://doi:10.1016/j.apgeog.2017.09.002
- 11. Kostuch, R., 2003. Vegetation succession on fallow arable land (in Polish). Woda-Środowisko-Obszary Wiejskie. Środowisko, 2(8): 57-79.
- 12. Lasanta T, Arnáez J, Pascual N, Ruiz-Flaño P, Errea MP, Lana-Renault N., 2017. Space–time process and drivers of land abandonment in Europe. Catena. 149: 810-823. https://doi:10.1016/j.catena.2016.02.024
- 13. Michna, W., Rokicka W. 1998. Low quality soils, their agricultural use and economic marginalisation. Rationalisation of the use of marginal soils (in Polish). IERiGŻ 1, Warszawa.
- 14. Michna, W., 1998. Rationalisation of the use of marginal land. Final report (in Polish). IERiGŻ. Warszawa.
- 15. Musiał, W., Wojewodzic, T., 2015. Barriers to agrarian transformation in Polish agriculture – search for innovative solutions. In: A. Czyżewski, B. Klepacki (ed.) Problems in agricultural development and food industry in the first decade of Polish EU membership (in Polish). Polskie Towarzystwo Ekonomiczne, pp.1-11.
- 16. Orłowski,G., Nowak, L., 2004.,The issue of set-aside land in the light of results of research carried out in Western European countries and the United States (in Polish). Acta Sci. Pol., Agricultura 3(2): 27-36.
- 17. Renwick, A., Jansson, T., Verburg, P.H., et al. 2013. Policy reform and agricultural land abandonment in the EU. Land use policy. 30(1): 446-457. https://doi:10.1016/j.landusepol.2012.04.005
- 18. Sajnóg, N., Wójcik, J., 2013. Possibilities of marginal and fallow land management under land consolidation (in Polish). Infrastruktura i ekologia terenów wiejskich, Nr 2/II/2013, PAN, pp. 155–166.
- 19. Stuczyński, T., Jadczyszyn, J., Kukuła, S., 2006. Using the Spatial Information System for Agricultural Production in conducting regional analyses. (in Polish). Stud. Rap. IUNG–PIB 3: 33-51.
- 20. van der Zanden, E.H., Verburg, P.H., Schulp, C.J.E., Verkerk, P.J., 2017. Trade-offs of European agricultural abandonment. Land use policy. 62: 290-301. https://doi:10.1016/j.landusepol.2017.01.003
Publication order reference