Alpha Particles Concentrations from Soil Samples of Al-Najaf/ Iraq
Languages of publication
Soil samples were collected at Al-Najaf governorate, Iraq and assessed for radon concentrations using CN-85 detector and uranium concentrations using CN-85 and CR-39 detectors. Also, Some radiation parameters due to radon concentrations were calculated. Radon concentrations were varied from (506.84) Bq/m3 to (1194.69) Bq/m3 with an average of (894.21±77.80) Bq/m3, while the radium content were varied from (77.19) Bq/kg to (181.95) Bq/kg with an average (136.18±11.84) Bq/kg. The average values of the rate of radon exhalation in term of mass, in term of area and the soil radon concentration contributing to indoor radon activity were (1.01±0.08) Bq/kg.h, (4.56±0.39) Bq/m2.h and (18.24±1.58) Bq/m3 respectively. Also it is found that the average value of effective dose equivalent, annual effective dose and absorbed dose in soft tissues and in lungs were (0.084±0.007) WLM/y, (0.574±0.050)mSv/y, (0.090±0.007) nGy/h and (0.729±0.063) nGy/h respectively. Among other things, uranium concentration using CN-85 and CR-39 detectors were varied from (0.85) ppm to (2.0) with an average (1.5±0.13) ppm and from (1.16) ppm to (2.17) with an average (1.5±0.13) ppm respectively. The correlation between the contributing of radon to indoor with radium content and uranium concentrations with two detectors (CN-85 and CR-39) in clear. Finally, the values of radon concentrations, radium content, radon exhalation rate in term of area, annual effective dose and uranium concentrations in soil samples in the present study were below limits the world average, so can be consider according results the area under study does not pose risk to human health.
15 - 01 - 2018
-  Archer V. E., Gillam J. D. and Wagoner J. K.; Ann. NY Acad. Sci.; 271, 280 (1976).  Tanner, A.B., “Radon migration in the ground : A supplementary review. In The Natural Radiation EnvironmentIII. (eds. T.F. Gesell and W.M. Lowder), National Technical Information service, Springfield, VA. CONF-780422, 1980: 5-56.
-  Anderson, P., Clavensjo, B., Akerblom, G.,“The effect of the ground on the concentration of radon and gamma radiation indoors. Swedish council for Building research (In Swedish)” Report R9 : 1983, 1-442.
-  Shashikumar, T S, Ragini N, Chandrashekhar, M.S. and Paramesh, L.. Indian J. Phys.83 (8) 1163- 9(2009).
-  Archer, V.E., Wagoner, J.K., Lundin, F.E., “Lung cancer among uranium miners in the United States”. Health Phys. 25, 351 (1973).
-  Sevc, J., Kunz, E., Placek, V., “Lung cancer in uranium miners after long-term exposure to radon daughter products”. Health Phys. 30, 433-437(1976).
-  UNSCEAR, United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation, “Sources, Effect, and Risks of Ionizing Radiation”, Report to the general Assembly with Scientific Annexes, United Nations (1993) .
-  Khan A. J., Prasad R. and Tyagi R. K., Nucl. Tracks Radiat. Meas. 20, 609 (1992).
-  Jonsson G., Baixeras C., Devantier R. and Treutles H. C., Radiat. Meas. 31, 291(1999).
-  Baruah D. M. , Deka2P. C. and Rahman M. , African Review of Physics 8,32 (2013).
-  Rohit Mehra, Surinder Singh and Kulwant Singh. " A Study of Uranium, Radium, Radon Exhalation Rate and Indoor Radon in the Environs of Some Areas of the Malwa Region, Punjab", in door and built environment, 15(5),499-505 (2006).
-  Ranjan Kr. Kakatia , Lukendra Kakatib and T.V.Ramachandran, " Measurement of uranium, radium and radon exhalation rate of soil samples from Karbi Anglong district of Assam, India using EDXRF and Can technique method", APCBEE Procedia 5, 186 – 191( 2013 ).
-  Cooperation with the Local Governorate, "Development Strategy for the Holy Province of Najaf," Holy Najaf Province Council, report (2008).
-  Custbal N.H. , Amalds and Nielsen G.A., “Cs137 in Montarq Soils”, Health Phys., 57(6), 955-958 (1989).
-  Al-Kofahi M., Khader B., Lehlooh A., Kullab M., Abumurad K., and Al-Bataina B., "Measurement of Radon-222 in Jordanian Dwellings", Nucl., Tracks Radiat. Meas., 20, 377-382,(1992).
-  Khader B., "Radon-222 Concentration in the Air of the Dwellings in Irbid Region- Jordan", (M. Sc. Thesis) Yarmouk Univ., Irbid, (1990).
-  Corporation T. , Lane W., Creek W. and Fleischer R., "Passive Integrating Radon Monitor for Environmental Monitoring", Health Phys., 40, 693-702 (1981).
-  Wiegand J., “A Guideline For The Evaluation of The Soil Radon Potential Based On Geogenic and Anthropogenic Parameters”. Envir.l Geol., 40, 949-963 (2001).
-  Tufail M., Khan H.A., Qureshi A.A. and Manzoor S. , Nucl. Tracks. Radiat. Meas. 19, 429 (1991).
-  Sonkawade RG., Kant K., Muralithar S., Kumar R., Ramola RC., Atmospheric Environment, 42, 2254(2008).
-  Amrani D. and Cherouati DE., Journal of Radio analytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 242,269(1999).
-  Mahur AK, Kumar R, Sengupta D and Prasad R. An investigation of radon exhalation rate and estimation of radiation doses in coal and fly ash samples. Appl Radiat Isot 2008; 66(3): 401–406.
-  Saad AF, Abdallah RM and Hussein NA. Radon exhalation from Libyan soil samples measured with the SSNTD technique. Appl Radiat Isot 2013; 72: 163–168.
-  Nazaroff WW and Nero AV. Radon and its decay products in indoor air. New York, NY: Wiley-Interscience Publication, 1988.
-  ICRP (International Commission on Radiological Protection). International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP). 1993. Protection Against Radon-222 at Homes and at Work. ICRP Publication 65. Annals of ICRP 23(2)
-  UNSCEAR (United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation Sources and effects of ionizing radiation). Sources and effects of ionizing radiation. New York, NY: United Nations Publication, 2000.
-  ICRP (International Commission on Radiological Protection). Lung cancer risk from exposures to radon daughters, report no: 50. New York, NY: ICRP Publication, 1987.
-  Al-Bataina, B., Ismail, A., Kullab, M., K.Abumurad and H.Mustafa," “Radon Measurements in Different Types of Natural Waters in Jordan”, Radiat. Meas., 28(1), 591 (1997).
-  Alharbi, W.R. & Abbady, A.G. 2013. Measurement of radon concentrations in soil and the extent of their impact on the environment from Al-Qassim, Saudi Arabia. Natural Science 5(1): 93-98.
-  Richard Tykva, D.Sc, Josef Sabol, D. Sc., Low- Level Environmental Radioactivity Sources and Evalution, U.S.A., (1995).
-  G. S. ISLAM, M. N. A. ABDULLAH, The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics, 1998.
-  O. Baykara, F. Kulahci, M. Doğru, " Measurement of uranium concentration in soil samples by two different methods", Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, Vol. 272, No.1 (2007) 195–197.
-  J. P. BIERSACK, J. F. ZIEGLER, IBM Research, TRIM, Version 98, 1998.
-  Chen M.G., et al, Harm of radon indoor and methods of preventing radon and decreasing radon Environment Engineering, 16 (1), 29-33(1998).
-  Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) , Nuclear Energy Agency, Paris, France, 1979.
-  Zubair M., Shakir Khan M., Verma D., Iran. J. Radiat. Res., 10(2): 83-87 (2012).
Publication order reference