Mobilization of cadmium from festuca ovina roots and its distribution between operational fractions in soil
Languages of publication
Festuca ovina was grown hydroponically on the Hoagland medium supplemented with CdCl2 (10 µg Cd ml-1). Next, the plants were transplanted into pots (100 plants in pots) with uncontaminated soil and incubated under controlled conditions for 12 months. Approximately 420 µg Cd were introduced into 200 g of soil via the plant roots, the released cadmium being distributed between fractions with varying stability and extractability. After 2 months, the pool of Cd exchangeable and bound to Fe and Mn oxides was 16% and 75%, respectively. After the end of the pot cultivation, the content of Cd in these fractions had decreased to 5% and 53%, respectively. In contrast, the percentage of Cd defined as organically bound increased from 6% (after 2 months) to 43% (after 12 months). The residual fraction was 2% of the metal present in the soil and was constant during plant cultivation. The results obtained indicate that the Cd stabilization by roots was dependent on time. Additionally, the distribution of Cd among the tested fractions was seen to have changed during the experiment. The amount of Cd bound to soil organic matter increased, lowering the amount of the bioavailable Cd form and Cd fraction bound to the oxide minerals.
15 - 01 - 2018
-  Abakumov, E.V., Cajthaml, T., Brus, J., Frouz, J., 2013. Humus accumulation, humification, and humic acid composition in soils of two post-mining chronosequences after coal mining. Journal of Soil and Sediments, 13: 491-500. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11368-012-0579-9
-  Ahmet, E., Homström, S.J.M, 2014. The effect of soil horizon and mineral type on the distribution of siderophores in soil. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 131: 184–195. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/ j.gca.2014.01.031
-  Alef, K., Nannipieri, P., 1995. Methods in applied soil microbiology and biotechnology. Academic Press, London, Great Britain.
-  Beats, S.D., Poesen, J., Gyssels, G., Knapen, A., 2006. Effect of grass roots on the erodibility of topsoil during concentrated flow. Geomorphology, 76: 54-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geomorph.2005.10.002
-  Bolan, N., Kunhikrishnan, A., Thangarajan, R., Kumpiene, J., Park, J., Makino, T., Kirkham, M.B., Scheckel, K., 2014. Remediation of heavy metals(loid)s contaminated soils – To mobilized or to immobilize? Journal of Hazardous Materials, 266: 141-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2013.12.018
-  Brandt, S., 1999. Date analysis. Statistical and computational methods for scientist and engineers (ed. 3) Springer Verlang, New York.
-  Conesa , H.M., Wieser, M., Gasser, M., Hockmann, K., Evangelou, M.W.H., Studer, B., Schulin, R., 2010. Effects of three amendments on extractability and fractionation of Pb, Cu, Ni and Sb in two shooting range soils. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 181: 845-850. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2010.05.090
-  Ernst, W.H.O., 2005. Phytoextraction of mine wastes – option and impossibilities. Chemie Der Erde-Geochemistry, 65, (S1): 29-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemer.2005.06.001
-  Fiedler, H.D., Westrup, J.L., Souza, A.J., Pavei, A.D., Chagas, C.U., Nome, F.. 2004. Cd(II) determination in the presence of aqueous micellar solutions. Talanta 64: 190-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2004.02.008
-  Fuentes, A., Lloréns, M., Sáez, J., Soler, A., Aguilar, M.I., Ortuño, J.F., Meseguer V.F., 2004. Simple and sequential extractions of heavy metals from different sewage sludges. Chemosphere, 54: 1039-1047. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2003.10.029
-  Hoagland, D.R., Arnon, D.J., 1950. The water culture method for growing plants without soil. California Agricultural Experiment Station. University of California, Station Circular, 347: 1-39.
-  Hütsch, B.W., Augustin, J., Merbach, W., 2002. Plant rhizodeposition – an important source for carbon turnover in soils. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science, 165:397-407.
-  Kabata-Pendias, A., 2011. Trace elements in soil and plants. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, LLC, Boca Raton USA.
-  Karimzadeh, L., Nair, S., Merkel, B.J., 2013. Effect of microbial siderophore DFOB on Pb, Zn, and Cd sorption onto zeolite. Aquatic Geochemistry, 19: 25-37. DOI: 10.1007/s10498-012-9176-1
-  Kurek, E., Majewska, M., 1998. Release of Cd immobilized by soil constituents and its bioavailability. Toxicological and Environmental Chemistry, 67: 237-249. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02772249809358617
-  Li, Y., Wang, L., Yang, L., Li, H., 2014. Dynamics of rhizosphere properties and antioxidative responses in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) under cadmium stress. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 102: 55-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2014.01.004
-  Li, Z., Jia, M., Christie, P., Luo, Y., 2016. Changes in metals availability, desorption kinetics and speciation in contaminated soils during repeated phytoextraction with the Zn/Cd hyperaccumulator Sedum plumbizincicola. Environmental pollution, 209: 123-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2015.11.015
-  Lityński, T., Jurkowska, H. Gorlach, E., 1976. Analiza chemiczno-rolnicza. Przewodnik metodyczny do analizy gleby i nawozów (in Polish). PWN, Warszawa.
-  Lou, Y., Luo, H., Hu, T., Li, H., Fu, J., 2013. Toxic effects, uptake, and translocation of cd and Pb in perennial ryegrass. Ecotoxicology, 22: 207-214. DOI: 10.1007/s10646-012-1017-x
-  Majewska, M., Kurek, E., 2007. Microbially mediated cadmium sorption/desorption processes in soil amended with sewage sludge. Chemosphere, 67: 724-730. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2006.10.051
-  Majewska, M., Kurek, E., 2011. Effect of Cd concentration in growth media on Secale cereale roots and Cd interaction with rhizosphere microorganisms originating from different parts of the grain. European Journal of Soil Biology, 47: 95-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejsobi.2010.12.005
-  Majewska, M., Kurek, E., Słomka, A., 2011. Effect of plant growth on total concentrations of Zn, Pb, and Cd, and their distribution between operational fractions in the upper layer of a 100-year-old zinc-lead waste heap. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, 20: 591-597.
-  Majewska, M., Kurek, E., Szlachetka, D., 2006. Microbial activity – factor increasing retention of Cd added to soil. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies 15, 2a: 127-134.
-  Majewska, M., Słomka, A., 2016. Levels of Organic Compounds, Number of Microorganisms and Cadmium Accumulation in Festuca ovina Hydroponic Culture. Polish Journal of Microbiology, 65, 2: 191-200.
-  Martin, J.P., 1950. Use of acid, rose bengal and streptomycin in the plate method for estimating soil fungi. Soil Sciences, 38: 215-220.
-  Massaccesi , L., Benucci, G.M.N., Gigliotti, G., Cocco, S., Corti, G., Agnelli, A., 2015. Rhizosphere effect of three plant species of environment under periglacial conditions (Majella Massif, central Italy). Soil Biology & Biochemistry, 89: 184-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2015.07.010
-  Oburger., E., Leitner, D., Jones, D.L., Zygalakis, K.C., Schnepf, A., Roose, T., 2011. Adsorption and desorption dynamics of citric acid anions in soil. European Journal of Soil Science, 62: 733-742. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2389.2011.01384.x
-  Overdieck, D., 2019. Macro-and Micronutrients. In: D Overdieck (ed). CO2, Temperature, and Trees. Springer, Singapore, pp. 89-117. DOI: 0.1007/978-981-10-1860-2_8.
-  Oves, M., Khan, M.S., Zaidi, A., Ahmad, E., 2012. Soil contamination, nutritive values, and human health risk assessment of heavy metals: An overview. In: A Zaidi, PA Wani, MS Khan (eds.). Toxicity of heavy metals to legumes and bioremediation. Springer-Verlag, Wien, pp 1- 27. DOI 10.1007/978-3-7091-0730-0_1.
-  Ping, X., Zhou, G., Zhuang, Q., Wang, Y., Zou, W., Shi, G., Lin, X., Wang, Y., 2010. Effect of sample size and position from monolith and core methods on the estimation of total root biomass in a temperate grassland ecosystem in Inner Mongolia. Geoderma, 155: 262-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2009.12.009
-  Prasad, M.N.V., 2003. Phytoremediation of metal-polluted ecosystems: Hype for commercialization. Russian Journal of Plant Physiology, 50, 5: 686-700. DOI: 10.1023/A:1025604627496
-  Renella, G., Landi, L., Nannipieri, P., 2004. Degradation of low molecular weight organic acids complexed with heavy metals in soil. Geoderma, 122: 311-315. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2004.01.018
-  Sánchez-Cotés, S.S., Francioso, O., García, J.V., Ciavatta, C., Gessa C., 2001. Catechol polymerization in the present of silver surface. Colloids and Surfaces, 176: 177-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0927-7757(00)00630-0
-  Semenov, V.M., Tulina, A.S., Semenova, N.A., Ivannikova, LA., 2013. Humification and nonhumification pathways of the organic matter stabilization in soil: A review. Euroasian Soil Science, 46, 4: 355-368. DOI: 10.1134/S106422931304011X
-  Shaheen, S.M., Tsadilas, C.D., Rinklebe, J., 2013. A review of the distribution coefficients of trace elements in soils: Influence of sorption system, element characteristics, and soil colloidal properties. Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, 201-202:43-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cis.2013.10.005
-  Stritsis, C., Steingrobe, B., Claassen N., 2014. Cadmium fractions in an acid sandy soil and in soil solution as affected by plant growth. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science, 177: 431-437.DOI: 0.1002/jpln.201200627.
-  Tahervand, S., Jalali, M., 2016. Sorption, desorption, and speciation of Cd, Ni, and Fe by four calcareous soils as affected by pH. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 188: 322. DOI:10.1007/s10661-016-5313-4
-  Uren, N.C., 1993. Mucilage secretion and its interaction with soil, and contact reduction. Plant and Soil, 155/156: 79-82. DOI: 10.1007/BF00024988
Publication order reference