Suitability of soils developed on the basis of black coal ash as a forest habitat
Languages of publication
The aim of the study was to evaluate the usefulness as a forest habitat, the technogenic soils developed by applying overlays containing organic matter in the waste substances, onto the layer of black coal ash. Properties of these soils, located in the power plant “Dolna Odra” in Nowe Czarnowo (West-Pomeranian province), were studied in 2015, i.e. 13 years after founding the experiment upon the use of waste materials in soilless land reclamation. Analysis required samples from the ash overlays and bottoms of the soils, in which applying methods commonly used in soil science, following properties were determined to enable calculation of the indicators used in the evaluation: forest soil trophism index (FSTI), soil site index (SSI), and mine soil quality index (MSQI). Values of FSTI allowed for classify studied soils as forest habitats, values of SSI as mixed forests and forest habitats, and values of MSQI as mixed forest habitats.
15 - 01 - 2018
- 1. Bajor P., Bulińska-Radomska Z., Klimont K., Osińska A., 2014. Evaluation of the development of vegetation on incineration ash disposal area fertilized with sewage sludge (in Polish). Problems of Agricultural Engineering, 22, 2(84): 51-61.
- 2. Brożek S., 2001. Forest Soil Trophism Index (in Polish). Acta Agraria et Silvestria, series Silvestris, 39: 17-33.
- 3. Brożek S., 2014. Development of methods for classification of forest habitats opportunity for sustainable forest management. In: Natural, social and economic conditions and the objectives and methods of silviculture (in Polish). 6th session Winter Forestry School at the Forest Research Institute, Sękocin Stary, 18-20.03.2014: 71-87.
- 4. Brożek S., Lasota J., Zwydak M., Wanic T., Gruba P., Błońska E., 2011. Application of the trophic soil index (SIG) in the diagnosis of forest site types (in Polish). Soil Science Annual, 62, 4: 133-149.
- 5. Brożek S., Zwydak M., 2003. Atlas of forest soils in Poland (in Polish). CILP Press, Warsaw: 467 pp.
- 6. Brożek S., Zwydak M., Lasota J., 2008. Numerical index of trophic variants of podzols and arenosols subtypes (in Polish). Soil Science Annual, 60, 1: 7-17.
- 7. Danielewicz W., Wiatrowska B., 2014. Invasive species of trees and shrubs in forests of Poland (in Polish). PECKIANA, 9, 59-67.
- 8. Gilewska M., Otremba K., 2007. Post mining areas Brown Coal Mine “Konin” as a maternal material of the soils (in Polish). Workshop 2007: Natural hazards in the mining industry. Materials Workshop: 39-48.
- 9. Gilewska M., Otremba K., 2010. Impact of planting technique on reclamation of disposal site of power station incineration ash (in Polish). University of Zielona Góra, Scientifical Reports, Environmental Engineering, 137, 17: 86-93.
- 10. Greinert H., Drab M., Greinert A., 2009. Studies on the effectiveness of forest reclamation of dumps phytotoxic acid Miocene sands of the former brown coal mine in Łęknica (in Polish). University of Zielona Góra, pp. 172.
- 11. Kondras M., Czępińska-Kamińska D., Sienicka P., Otręba A., Torzewski K., Oktaba L., 2012. The stock of organic carbon in forest soils in phytocenosis of the continental mixed coniferous forest in Kampinos National Park (in Polish). Soil Science Annual, 63, 4: 26-33.
- 12. Krzaklewski W., Pietrzykowski M., Frukacz T., 2005: Electrical conductivity and pH characteristics of furnace waste from the Bełchatów power-plant on the Lubień waste storage area (in Polish). Work Safety and Environmental Protection in Mining, 6: 48-50.
- 13. Krzaklewski W., Wójcik J., Kubiak B., Dymitrowicz J., 2011. The problems of reclamation of the Szczerców Field outer waste heap (in Polish). Mining and Geoengineering, 35, 3: 193-202.
- 14. Lasota J., Brożek S., Zwydak M., 2011. Application of the trophic soil index in planning the composition of renewed forest stands (in Polish). Soil Science Annual, 62, 4: 150-162.
- 15. Meller E., Niedźwiecki E., Malinowski R., Kubus M., Podlasiński M., 2013. Suitability of former arable land for extension of dendrological garden collection in Przelewice. Part II. Sorption properties and chemical element content (in Polish). Folia Pomeranae Universitatis Technologiae Stetinensis, 305, 27: 51-66.
- 16. Nowak G., 2007: The smoke-tree (Cotinus coggygria) growth on substratum from burner wastes (in Polish). Annals of Agricultural University of Poznań, Horticulture, 383, 41: 141-145.
- 17. Nowak G., 2012: Growth and development of red oak (Qercus rubra) depending upon the way of substrate preparation with the addition of ash and slag (in Polish). West Pomeranian University of Technology Szczecin, pp. 94.
- 18. Nowak G., Zieliński J., 2008: Blooming of romanas rose (Rosa rugosa Thunb.) Cultivated on ash dumps reclaimed with various techniques (in Polish). Acta Agrobotanica, 61, 1: 149-152.
- 19. Pacewicz K., Wróbel M., Gilewska M., Otremba K., 2007: Effect of differentiated biological reclamation practices on the growth characteristics of Robinia pseudoacacia and Eleagnus angustifolius on wet ash disposal site of 'Adamow' power plant (in Polish). Advances of Agricultural Sciences Problem, 518: 157-165.
- 20. Pacewicz K., Wróbel M., Wieczorek T., Gilewska M., Otremba K., 2006: Growth characteristics of Acer negundo, Eleagnus angustifolius and Robinia pseudoacacia trees on wet ash disposal site (in Polish). Acta Scientiarum Polonorum: Formatio Circumiectus, 5, 1: 87-98.
- 21. Pietrzykowski M., 2010: The proposal of a new indicator of soil quality mining (WJGP) and analysis of its possible use in the diagnosis of habitats on reclaimed land to forest (in Polish). In: M. Pietrzykowski (ed.). Analysis and optimization of methods of habitat classification and assessment of forest reclamation in selected areas of mining in Poland. Publishing House of the University of Agriculture in Kraków: 145-164.
- 22. Pietrzykowski M., 2014: Soil quality index as a tool for Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris) monoculture conversion planning on afforested, reclaimed mine land. Journal of Forestry Research, 25, 1: 63-74. DOI 10.1007/s11676-013-0418-x.
- 23. Pietrzykowski M., 2016: Site diagnosis in post-mining areas reclaimed for forestry (in Polish). In: R. Zielony (ed.). Forest habitats changed and distorted. CILP Press, Warsaw: 89-106.
- 24. Pietrzykowski M., Krzaklewski W., Gaik G., 2010a: Assessment of forest growth with plantings dominated by scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) on experimental plots on a fly ash disposal site at the Bełchatów Power Plant (in Polish). University of Zielona Góra, Scientifical Reports, Environmental Engineering, 137, 17: 64-74.
- 25. Pietrzykowski M., Krzaklewski W., Woś B., 2013: Concentration of trace elements (Mn, Zn, Cu, Cd, Pb, Cr) in alder (Alnus sp.) leaves used as phytomelioration species on fly ash disposal (in Polish). University of Zielona Góra, Scientifical Reports, Environmental Engineering, 151, 31: 26-34.
- 26. Pietrzykowski M., Krzaklewski W., Woś B., 2015: Preliminary assessment of growth and survival of green alder (Alnus viridis), a potential biological stabilizer on fly ash disposal sites. Journal of Forestry Research, 26, 1: 131-136. DOI 10.1007/s11676-015-0016-1.
- 27. Pietrzykowski M., Pająk M, Krzaklewski W., 2010: The assessment of possibility of using soil quality estimation numerical methods based on the Forest Soil Trophism Index (ITGL) and Soil Site Index (SIG) for description of habitat conditions on spoil heap KWB "Bełchatów" reclaimed to forest (in Polish). Mineral Resources Management, 26, 3: 155-165.
- 28. Pietrzykowski M., Pająk M., Krzaklewski W., 2011. Application of soil quality indexes for the habitat conditions variability assessment in the forestry rehabilitated former mining spoil banks. Folia Forestalia Polonica, Series A, 53, 1: 17-24.
- 29. PTG., 1989. Polish soil classification, fourth edition (in Polish). Soil Science Annual, 40, 3/4, pp. 150.
- 30. PTG., 2011. Polish soil classification, fifth edition (in Polish). Soil Science Annual, 62, 3, pp. 193.
- 31. Siuta J., 2005. Reclamation efficiency of sewage sludge on industrial dumping sites (in Polish). Acta Agrophysica, 5, 2: 417-425.
- 32. Stankowski S., Niedźwiecki E., Wojcieszczuk T., Meller E., Malinowski R., Sammel A., Maciorowski R., Wojcieszczuk M., Szuberla U., Ułasik S., Dobrohorska H., Owsicka A., 2005. The investigations to determine the impact of rainwaters penetrating the layers of ash-slags on the environment, realized in lysimeters in the power plant "Dolna Odra" in Nowe Czarnowo (in Polish). Research Report for the period September-November 2005. Agricultural University of Szczecin, pp. 44.
- 33. Strączyńska S., Strączyński S., 2007. Characterisation of industrial soils under cultures of silver birch (in Polish). Soil Science Annual, 58, 3/4: 126-131.
- 34. Strączyńska S., Strączyński S., Cieścińska B., Gwiżdż M., 2009: Organic matter properties in the surface layer anthropogenic soils in Bełchatów region (in Polish). Soil Science Annual, 60, 3: 139-144.
- 35. Tokarska-Guzik B., Dajdok Z., Zając M., Zając A., Urbisz A., Danielewicz W., Hołdyński Cz., 2012. The plants of foreign origin in Poland with special emphasis on invasive species (in Polish). General Directorate of Environmental Protection, Warsaw, pp. 196. ISBN: 978-83-62940-34-9.
- 36. Tomaszewicz T., Chudecka J., 2016. The assessment of chemical properties of soils made on base of ashes from hard coal after ten years of their functioning in environment (in Polish). University of Zielona Góra, Scientifical Reports, Environmental Engineering, 163, 43: 74-85.
- 37. Trawczyńska A., Tołoczko W., 2007. Fertility of forest habitats in the borough of Ujazd (in Polish). Environmental Protection and Natural Resources, 31: 46-51.
- 38. Uzarowicz Ł., Zagórski Z., 2015: Mineralogy and chemical composition of technogenic soils (Technosols) developed from fly ash and bottom ash from selected thermal power stations in Poland. Soil Science Annual, 66, 2: 82-91. DOI: 10.1515/ssa-2015-0023.
- 39. Wanic T., Błońska E., 2011: Application of SIG method in the assessment of usefulness for silviculture of farms abandoned lands (in Polish). Soil Science Annual, 62, 4: 173-181.
- 40. WRB (World Reference Base for Soil Resources). 2014. International soil classification system for naming soils and creating legends for soil maps. Update 2015. World Soil Resources Reports 106, pp.193.
- 41. Wróbel M., Pacewicz K., Wieczorek T., Gilewska M., Otremba K., 2006. Growth characteristics of Caragana arborescens, Cornus sanguinea and Hippophaë rhamnoides shrubs on wet ash disposal site (in Polish). Acta Scientiarum Polonorum, Formatio Circumiectus, 5, 1: 75-86.
Publication order reference