Environmental Impact of Landfill on Soils – the Example of the Czech Republic
Languages of publication
This study focuses on the impact of a municipal solid waste (MSW) landfill on the environment. Phytotoxicity test was determined to assess ecotoxicity of landfill soil (Zdounky-Kuchyňky). White mustard (Sinapis alba L.) and barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) plants were allowed to grow in earthen pots, treated with soil samples to study the potential effect of landfill to the plant biomass production. Twenty-one days from the establishment of the experiment, sprouts and the number of growing plants occurring in the earthen pots were counted. The conducted research shows that the soil from the area of the landfill is not phytotoxic. According to the results of this research, it is possible to claim that the Zdounky-Kuchyňky MSW landfill is not a considerable source of pollution for the environment in present days.
03 - 10 - 2017
- Adamcová, D., Vaverková, M.D., Bartoň, S., Havlíček, Z., Břoušková, E., 2016. Soil contamination in landfills: a case study of a landfill in Czech Republic. Solid Earth, 7: 239–247.
- Adamcová, D., Vaverková, M.D., 2016. Does composting of biodegradable municipal solid waste on the landfill body make sense? Journal of Ecological Engineering 17, 1: 30–37.
- Adamcová, D., Radziemska, M., Ridošková, A., Bartoň, S., Pelcová, P., Elbl, J., Kynický, J., Brtnický, M., Vaverková, M.D. 2017. Environmental assessment of the effects of a municipal landfil on the content and distribution of heavy metals in Tanacetum vulgare L. Chemosphere,
- 185: 1011–1018.
- Ahmed, A., Sulaiman, W., 2001. Evaluation of Groundwater and Soil Pollution in a Landfill Area Using Electrical Resistivity Imaging survey. Environmental Management, 28, 5: 655–663.
- Al-Khashman, O.A., Shawabkeh, R.A., 2006. Metals distribution in soils around the cement factory in southern Jordan. Environmental Pollution 140, 387–394.
- Aziz, H.A, Adlan, M.N., Zahari, M.S.M., Alias, S., 2004. Removal of ammoniacal nitrogen (N-NH3) from municipal solid waste leachate by using activated carbon and limestone. Waste Management and Research, 22: 371–375.
- Bae, J., Benoit, D.L., Watson A.K. 2016. Effect of heavy metals on seed germination and seedling growth of common ragweed and roadside ground cover legumes. Environmental Pollution, 213: 112–118.
- Bhatt, A.H., Karanjekar, R.V., Altouqi, S., Melanie, L. Sattler, M.L., Hossain, M.D.S, Chen, V.P., 2017. Estimating landfill leachate BOD and COD based on rainfall, ambient temperature, and waste composition: Exploration of a MARS statistical approach. Environmental Technology and Innovation, 8: 1–16.
- Boutin, C., Elmegaard, N., Kjaer, C. 2004. Toxicity testing of fifteen non-crop plant species with six herbicides in a greenhouse experiment: implications for risk assessment. Ecotoxicology, 13: 349–369.
- Břoušková, E., Vaverková, M.D., Havlíček, Z., Adamcová, D., Pecinová, H., 2015. Evaluation of the phytotoxicity of recycled manure solids used for dairy cattle bedding. Mendelnet 2015. 189–194.
- Caicedo-Concha, D.M., Sandoval-Cobo, J.J., Whiting, K., 2016. An experimental study on the impact of two dimensional materials in waste disposal sites: What are the implications for engineered landfills? Sustainable Environment Research, 26, 6: 255–261.
- Chang, A., Granato, T., Page. A. 1992. A methodology for establishing phytotoxicity criteria for chromium, copper, nickel, and zinc in agricultural land application of municipal sewage sludge’s. Journal of Environmental Quality, 21: 521–536.
- Chatzistathis, T., Alifragis, D., Papaioannou, A., 2015. The influence of liming on soilchemical properties and on the alleviation of manganese and copper toxicity in Juglans regia Robinia pseudoacacia, Eucalyptus sp. and Populus. Journal of Environmental Management. 150: 149–156.
- Critto, A., Carlon, C., Marcomini, A., 2003. Characterization of contaminated soil and groundwater surrounding an illegal landfill (S. Giuliano, Venice, Italy) by principal component analysis and kriging. Environmental Pollution, 122, 2: 235–244.
- Gerencsér, G., Murányi, E., Szendi, K., Varga, C., 2010. Ecotoxicological studies on Hungarian peloids (medicinal muds). Applied Clay Science, 50, 1: 47–50.
- Green, S.M., Machin, R., Cresser, M.S., 2008. Effect of long-term changes in soil chemistry induced by road salt applications on N-transformations in roadside soils. Environmental Pollution, 152, 1: 20–31.
- Gworek, B., Dmuchowski, W., Koda, E., Marecka, M., Baczewska, A.H., Brągoszewska, P., Sieczka, A., Osiński, P., 2016. Impact of the municipal solid waste Łubna Landfill on environmental pollution by heavy metals, Water, 8: 10:470.
- Hintz, W.D., Relyea, R.A., 2017. Impacts of road deicing salts on the early-life growth and development of a stream salmonid: Salt type matters. Environmental Pollution, 223: 409–415.
- Jain, P., Kim, H., Townsend, T.G., 2005. Heavy metal content in soil reclaimed from a municipal solid waste landfill. Waste Management 25, 25–35.
- Kasassi, A., Rakimbei, P., Karagiannidis, A., Zabaniotou, A., Tsiouvaras, K., Nastis, A., Tzafeiropoulou, K. 2008. Soil contamination by heavy metals: Measurements from a closed unlined landfill. Bioresource Technology, 99, 8578–8584.
- Kaur, N., Erickson, T.E., Ball, A.S., Ryan M.H. 2017. A review of germination and early growth as a proxy for plant fitness under petrogenic contamination – knowledge gaps and recommendations. Science of The Total Environment, in press.
- Keesstra, S.D., Geissen, V., van Schaik, L., Mosse, K., Piiranen, S., 2012. Soil as a filter for groundwater quality. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 4: 507–516.
- Koda, E., Osinski, P., Sieczka, A., Wychowaniak, D., 2015. Areal Distribution of Ammonium Contamination of Soil-Water Environment in the Vicinity of Old Municipal Landfill Site with Vertical Barrier. Water, 7: 2656–2672.
- Koda, E., Sieczka, A., Osiński, P., 2016. Ammonium concentration and migration in groundwater in the vicinity of waste management site located in the neighborhood of protected areas of Warsaw, Poland. Sustainability, 8, 11: 1253.
- Lee, M.A., Davies, L., Power, S.A., 2013. Effects of roads on adjacent plant community composition and ecosystem function: An example from three calcareous ecosystems. Environmental Pollution, 163: 273–280.
- MacKay, A.A., Zinke, S., Mahoney, J., Bushey, J.T., 2011. Roadway runoff water quality from milled and unaltered surfaces during convective storms. Journal of Environmental Engineering, 137: 1165–1175.
- Mahmud, K., Hossain, M.D., Shams, S., 2012. Different treatment strategies for highly polluted landfill leachate in developing countries. Waste Management, 32, 11: 2096–2105.
- Maila, M.P., Cloete, T.E. 2005. The use of biological activities to monitor the removal of fuel contaminants—perspective for monitoring hydrocarbon contamination: a review. International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, 55: 1–8.
- Mazur, Z., Radziemska, M., Maczuga, O., Makuch, A. 2013. Heavy metal concentrations in soil and moss surroundings railroad. Fresenius Environmental Bulletin 22, 4: 955–961.
- Mol, G., Keesstra, S. 2012. Soil science in a changing world. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 4, 5: 473–477.
- Morozesk, M., Bonomo, M.M., Rocha, L.D., Duarte, I.D., Zanezi, E.R.L., Jesus, H.C., Fernandes, M.N., Matsumoto, S.T., 2016. Landfill leachate sludge use as soil additive prior and after electrocoagulation treatment: A cytological assessment using CHO-k1 cells. Chemosphere, 158: 66–71.
- OECD Guideline 208 for the Testing of Chemicals, 2003. Seedling Emergence and Seedling Growth Test.
- Piguet, P., Parriaux, A., Bensimon, M., 2008. The diffuse infiltration of road runoff: An environmental improvement. Science of the Total Environment, 398, 1-3: 13–23.
- Radziemska, M., Fronczyk, J., 2015. Level and Contamination Assessment of Soil along an Expressway in an Ecologically Valuable Area in Central Poland. International journal of environmental research and public health, 12, 10: 13372–13387.
- Radziemska, M., Gusiatin, Z.M., Bilgin, A., 2017. Potential of using immobilizing agents in aided phytostabilization on simulated contamination of soil with lead. Ecological Engineering, 102: 490–500.
- Radziemska, M., Mazur, Z., Jeznach, J., 2013. Influence of applying halloysite and zeolite to soil contaminated with nickel on the content of selected elements in Maize (Zea mays L.). Chemical Engineering Transactions, 32: 301–306.
- Radziemska, M., Wyszkowski, M. 2017. Using compost, zeolite and calcium oxide to limit the effect of chromium (III) and (VI) on the content of trace elements in plants. Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis, 65, 2: 709–719.
- Radziemska, M., Wyszkowski, M. 2016. Chemical Composition of Soil Contaminated Tri- and Hexavalent Chromium Amended with Compost, Zeolite and Calcium Oxide. Polish Journal of Soil Science, 49, 2: 181–193.
- Reijs, J.W., Meijer, W.H., Bakker, E.J., Lantinga, E.A., 2003. Explorative research into quality of slurry manure from dairy farms with different feeding strategies. NJAS – Wageningen. Journal of Life Sciences, 51, 1–2: 67–89.
- Rijkenberg, M.J.A., Depree, C.V., 2010. Heavy metal stabilization in contaminated road-derived sediments. Science of the Total Environment, 408, 5: 1212–1220.
- Sas, W., Głuchowski, A., Radziemska, M., Dzięcioł, J., Szymański, A., 2015. Environmental and geotechnical assessment of the steel slags as a material for road structure. Materials, 8: 4857–4875.
- Schuhmacher, M., Bocio, A., Agramunt, M.C., Domingo, J.L., de Kok, H.A.M., 2002. PCDD/F and metal values in soil and herbage samples collected in the vicinity of a cement plant. Chemosphere 48, 209–217.
- Shah, F.R., Ahmad, N., Masood, K.R., Peralta-Videa, J.R., Ahmad, F.D. 2010. Heavy metal toxicity in plants. In: Ashraf, M., Ozturk, M., Ahmad, M.S.A. (Eds.), Plant Adaptation and Phytoremediation. Springer, New York, pp. 71–97.
- Sharonova, N., Breus, I. 2012. Tolerance of cultivated and wild plants of different taxonomy to soil contamination by kerosene. Science of The Total Environment, 424: 121–129.
- Tatsi, A., Zouboulis, A., 2002. A field investigation of the quantity and quality of leachate from a municipal solid waste landfill in a Mediterranean climate (Thessaloniki, Greece). Advances in Environmental Research, 6, 3: 207–219.
- Vaverková, M.D., Adamcová, D., Radziemska, M., Voběrková, S., Mazur, Z., Zloch, J. 2017. Assessment and Evaluation of Heavy Metals Removal from Landfil Leachate by Pleurotus ostreatus. Waste and Biomass Valorization, 1–9.
- Voběrková, S., Vaverková, M.D., Burešová, A., Adam ova, D., Vršanská, M., Kynický, J., Brtnický, M., Adam, V., 2017. Effect of inoculation with white-rot fungi and fungal consortium on the composting efficiency of municipal solid waste. Waste Management 61, 157–164.
- Wong, J.T., Chen, X., Mo, W., Man, Y., Ng, C.W., Wong, M., 2016. Restoration of plant and animal communities in a sanitary landfill: A 10-year case study in Hong Kong. Land Degradation and Development, 27, 3: 490–499.
Publication order reference