Characteristics of galls formed by Lipara pullitarsis Doskočil & Chvála, 1971 (Diptera, Chloropidae) on common reed (Phragmites australis (Cav.) Trin. Ex Steud, 1841)
Languages of publication
We studied galls formed by Lipara pullitarsis in the apical part of common reed stems, paying particular attention to the number and length of internodes that formed the basal part of each gall. L. similis galls were used only as a reference for the study of L. pullitarsis galls, as they were characterised by a uniform structural pattern and a shape similar to some galls produced by L. pullitarsis. L. pullitarsis galls vary in shape. The species is found in conspicuous galls that are narrow at the base and have a wider apical part. It can also be found inside rod-shaped galls similar to those formed by L. similis. The shape of an L. pullitarsis gall is determined by the number and length of internodes that form its basal part, with the length of internodes III, IV and V being of the greatest significance.
20 - 10 - 2016
- Chvála M., Doskočil J., Mook J.H., Pokorný V. 1974. The genus Lipara Meigen (Diptera, Chloropidae), systematics, morphology, behaviour and ecology. Tijdschr. entomol., 117: 1–25.
- Grochowska M. 2006. Nowe dane o galasach Lipara Meigen, 1830 (Diptera: Chloropidae) na trzcinie pospolitej (Phragmites australis). Dipteron. 22: 11–12.
- Grochowska M. 2011. A study of the biology of Lipara Meigen, 1830 (Diptera, Chloropidae) flies inhabiting the apical part of stems of Phragmites australis (Cavanilles) Trinius ex Steudel, 1841., Wyd. UMCS. pp. 124.
- Häfliger P. 2007. Damage based identification key for endophagous herbivores on Common Reed (Phragmites australis). CABI Europe- Switzerland Rue des Grillons1, CH-2800 Delemont.
- Nartshuk E. P. 2011. Larvae of midges and flies (Diptera) developing on common reed (Phragmites australis): review and key. Tr. Zool. Inst. R. A. N. 315. 3:317–351.
- Pokornỳ V. 1971. Flies of the genus Lipara Meigen on common reed. Hidrobiologia. 12: 287–292.
- Pokorný V. 1981. Flies of the genus Lipara In: Skuhravý, V. (ed). Invertebrates and vertebrates attacking common reed stands (Phragmites communis) in Czechoslovakia. Studie CSAV. 1. Praha, Akademie 25–42.
- Schoonhoven L.M., van Loon J. J. A., Dicke M. 2012. Insect-Plant Biology. Oxford University Press. pp. 421.
Publication order reference