Responses of potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) var. Agria to application of bio, bulk and nano-fertilizers
Languages of publication
Potato (Solanum tuberosum L.), is one of the important crops grown in the world which is important as food and nutritional security option at the global level. The experiment was laid out as randomized complete block design in three replications with six nutrition treatments consisted of control, NPK, Mog bio-fertilizer, Nano-Ca, Nano-Zn+B and Nano-Com. The treatment-by-trait (TT) biplot analysis was applied to data to examine its usefulness in visualizing relationships among trait as well as treatments and showed that the first two principal components accounted 80% of total variation. Tuber yield, mean tuber diameter, mean tuber weight, tuber weight per plant, starch content of initial fresh, number of tubers per plant, number of leaves and dry matter content were in the same sector, with Nano-Com fertilizer treatment as the best treatment. Based on ideal entry biplot, the Nano-Com treatment is closest to the position of an ideal treatment and it is ranked the highest in term of morphological performance. Also, the best fertilizer treatment for obtaining of high tuber yield could be found as Nano-Com treatment following Nano-Zn+B treatment. The studied nanofertilizers showed a good potential compared to the commercial bulk and bio fertilizers.
20 - 10 - 2016
- Allison, M.F., Fowler, J.H., Allen, E.J. 2001. Responses of potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) to potassium fertilizers. Journal of Agricultural Science, 136: 407–426.
- Asghari-Zakaria, R., Fathi, M., Hasan-Panah, D. 2006. Sequential path analysis of yield components in potato. Potato Research, 49: 273–279.
- Bala, N., Dey, A., Das, S., Basu, R., Nandy, P. 2014. Effect of hydroxyapatite nanorod on chickpea (Cicer arietinum) plant growth and its possible use as nano-fertilizer. Iranian Journal of Plant Physiology, 4: 1061–1069.
- Bell, R.W., Dell, B. 2008. Micronutrients for sustainable food, feed, fibre and bioenergy production. International Fertilizer Industry Association Publisher, Paris.
- Bhagowati, R.R., Saikia, M. 2003. Character association and path coefficient analysis for yield attributes in open pollinated and hybrid true potato seed populations. Crop Research, 26: 286–290.
- Cerny, J., Balik, J., Kulhanek, M. Cásová, K., Nedved, V. 2010. Mineral and organic fertilization efficiency in long-term stationary experiments. Plant, Soil and Environment, 56: 28–36.
- Easterwood, G.W. 2002. Calcium’s role in plant nutrition. Fluid Journal, 10: 16–19.
- El-Kereti, M.A., El-Feky, S.A., Khater, M.S., Osman, Y.A., El-Sherbini, S.A. 2014. ZnO nanofertilizer and He Ne laser irradiation for promoting growth and yield of sweet basil plant. Recent Patents on Food, Nutrition and Agriculture, 5: 69–81.
- El-Sirafy, Z.M., Abbady, K.A., El-Ghamry, A.M., Dissoky, R.A. 2008. Potato yield quality, quantity and profitability as affected by soil and foliar potassium application. Research Journal of Agriculture and Biological Sciences, 4: 912–922.
- Hamouz, K., Lachman, J., Dvorák, P., Pivec, V. 2005. The effect of ecological growing on the potatoes yield and quality. Plant, Soil and Environment, 51: 397–402.
- Ierna, A., Pandino G., Lombardo S., Mauromicale, G. 2011. Tuber yield, water and fertilizer productivity in early potato as affected by a combination of irrigation and fertilization. Agricultural Water Management, 101: 35–41.
- Kharol, S., Sharma, M., Lal, M., Sumeriya, H.K. 2014. Productivity of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) as influenced by sulphur and zinc under agroclimatic zone IV-A of Rajasthan. Annals of Biology, 30: 676–680.
- Liu, X., Feng, Z., Zhang, S., Zhang, J., Xiao, Q., Wang, Y. 2006. Preparation and testing of cementing nano-subnano composites of slow- or controlled release of fertilizers. Scientia Agricultura Sinica, 39: 1598–604.
- Maier, N.A., McLaughlin, M.J., Heap, M., Butt, M., Smart, M.K. 2002. Effect of current season application of calcitic lime and phosphorus fertilization on soil pH, potato growth, yield, dry matter content, and cadmium concentration. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, 33: 2145–2165.
- Maity, S., Chattarzee, B.N. 1977. Growth attributes of potato and their inter relationship with yield. Potato Research, 20: 337–341.
- Mochizuki, H., Gautam, P.K., Sinha, S., Kumar, S., 2009. Increasing Fertilizer and Pesticide Use Efficiency by Nanotechnology in Desert Afforestation, Arid Agriculture. Journal of Arid Land Studies, 19: 129–132.
- Najm, A.A., Hadi, M.R.H.S., Fazeli, F., Darzi, M.T., Rahi, A. 2012. Effect of integrated management of nitrogen fertilizer and cattle manure on the leaf chlorophyll, yield, and tuber glycoalkaloids of Agria potato. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, 43: 912–923.
- Noda, T., Tsuda, S., Mori, M., Takigawa, S., Matsuura-Endo, C., Saito, K., Mangalika, W.H.A., Suzuki, Y., Yamauchi, H. 2004. The effect of harvest dates on the starch properties of various potato cultivars. Food Chemistry 86: 119–125.
- Pandey, A.C., Sanjay, S.S., Yadav, R.S. 2010 Application of ZnO nanoparticles in influencing the growth rate of Cicer arietinum. Journal of Experimental Nanoscience, 5: 488–497.
- Prasad, T.N.V.K.V., Sudhakar, P., Sreenivasulu, Y., Latha, P., Munaswamya, V., Raja-Reddy, K., Sreeprasad, T.S., Sajanlal, P.R., Pradeep, T. 2012. Effect of nanoscale zinc oxide particles on the germination, growth and yield of peanut. J. Plant Nutr. 35: 905–927.
- Rosen, C.J., Bierman, P.M. 2008. Potato yield and tuber set as affected by phosphorus fertilization. American Journal of Potato Research, 85: 110–120.
- Sabaghnia, N. 2015. Investigation of some morphological traits in studied lentil (Lens culinaris Medik.) genotypes grown with foliar application of nanosized ferric oxide. Annales UMCS, Biologia, 69: 29–38.
- Sanchez, E.E., Righetti, T.L. 2005. Effect of postharvest soil and foliar application of boron fertilizer on the partitioning of boron in apple trees. HortScience, 40 (7): 2115-2117.
- SCI 2015. Statistical Yearbook of Iran. Statistical Center of Iran, Tehran, Iran.
- Sincik, M., Turan, Z.M., Göksoy, A.T. 2008. Responses of potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) to green manure cover crop and nitrogen fertilization rates. American Journal of Potato Research, 85: 150–158.
- Singh, N.B., Amist, N., Yadav, K., Singh, D., Pandey, J.K., Singh, S.C. 2013. Zinc oxide nanoparticles as fertilizer for the germination, growth and metabolism of vegetable crops. Journal of Nanoengineering and Nanomanufacturing, 3: 353–364.
- Tuncturk, M., ÇiftÇi, V. 2005. Selection criteria for potato breeding. Asian Journal of Plant Sciences, 4: 27–30.
- Westermann, D.T. 2005. Nutritional requirements of potatoes. American Journal of Potato Research, 82: 301–307.
- Yan, W. 2001. GGEbiplot: A windows application for graphical analysis of multi-environment trial data and other types of two-way data. Agronomy Journal, 93: 1111–1118.
- Yan, W., Hunt, L.A., Sheng, Q., Szlavnics, Z. 2000. Cultivar evaluation and mega-environment investigation based on the GGE biplot. Crop Science, 40: 597–605.
- Yan, W., Rajcan, I. 2002. Biplot analysis of test sites and trait relations of soybean in Ontario. Crop Science, 42: 11–20.
- Zebarth, B.J., Arsenault, W.J., Sanderson, J.B. 2006. Effect of seed piece spacing and nitrogen fertilization on tuber yield, yield components, and nitrogen use efficiency parameters of two potato cultivars. American Journal of Potato Research, 83: 289–296.
- Zhao, L., Sun, Y., Hernandez-Viezcas, J.A., Servin, A.D., Hong, J., Niu, G., Peralta-Videa, J.R., Duarte- Gardea, M., Gardea-Torresdey, J.L. 2013. Influence of CeO2 and ZnO nanoparticles on cucumber physiological markers and bioaccumulation of Ce and Zn: a life cycle study. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 61: 11945–11951.
- FAOSTAT (2013) FAOSTAT data of Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. http://faostat.fao.org/.
Publication order reference