Match performance in Polish amputee soccer Extra Ligue – a pilot study
Languages of publication
Introduction The purpose of this pilot study was to determine match performance in AS considering playing positions, two halves, and playing time. Material and methods Twelve amputee soccer players were monitored for two days during the tournament of Polish Extra Ligue. The match performance data and heart rate (HR) response were collected from 4 matches (lasted 2x20 min) by Polar Team Pro. Gathered data included HR parameters, time in HRmax zones, speed, covered distance, and speed zones. Differences between two halves, 6-10 min vs. above 10 min playing time, and playing positions were assessed. Results There were not statistically differences between two halves in HR response, percentage of time in HRmax zones, speed, distance, and percentage of time in speed zones (except III HRmax zone). Significantly higher heart rate reserve and HRmax values, and total cover distance were observed in the longer playing time. Goalkeepers had significantly lower results than other players. Midfielders and defenders were similar in terms of HR response and percentage of time spent in HRmax zones. Strikers spent significantly more percentage of time in high-intensity running zone than other players. Conclusions These results brought a new knowledge to amputee soccer coaches and players about significant differences in match load relating to playing position as well as playing time. This knowledge can be beneficial in planning amputee soccer training as well as preparing special physical fitness tests corresponding to real effort during a game.
- Fispes.it [Internet]. World Amputee Football Federation Laws and Rules Governing Amputee Football Play and Players; 2017 [cited 2020 May 2]. Available from: https://fispes.it/kp/uploads/laws-of-the-game-2017.pdf/.
- Mohr M, Krustrup P, Bangsbo J. Match performance of high-standard soccer players with special reference to development of fatigue. J Sports Sci. 2003 Jul; 21(7): 519-28.
- Di Salvo V, Baron R, Tschan H, Calderon Montero FJ, Bachl N, Pigozzi F. Performance characteristics according to playing position in elite soccer. Int J Sports Med. 2007 Mar; 28(3): 222–7.
- Rampinini E, Bishop D, Marcora SM, Ferrari Bravo D, Sassi R, Impellizzeri FM. Validity of simple field tests as indicators of match-related physical performance in top-level professional soccer players. Int J Sports Med. 2007 Mar; 28(3): 228-35.
- Bradley PS, Sheldon W, Wooster B, Olsen P, Boanas P, Krustrup P. High intensity running in English FA Premier League soccer matches. J Sports Sci. 2009 Jan 15; 27(2): 159-68.
- Di Salvo V, Gregson W, Atkinson G, Tordoff P, Drust B. Analysis of high intensity activity in Premier League soccer. Int J Sports Med. 2009 Mar; 30(3): 205-12.
- Rampinini E, Impellizzeri FM, Castagna C, Coutts AJ, Wisløff U. Technical performance during soccer matches of the Italian Serie A league: effect of fatigue and competitive level. J Sci Med Sport. 2009 Jan; 12(1): 227-33.
- Simim MAM, da Mota GR, Marocolo M, da Silva BVC, de Mello MT, Bradley PS. The demands of amputee soccer impair muscular endurance and power indices but not match physical performance. APAQ. 2018 Jan 1; 35(1): 76-91.
- Maehana H, Miyamoto A, Koshiyama K, Tanaka Yanagiya T, Yoshimura M. Profile of match performance and heart rate response in Japanese amputee soccer players. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2018 Jun; 58(6): 816-24.
- mayoclinic.org [Internet]. Exercise intensity: How to measure it; 2019 [cited 2020 May 08]. Available from: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/exercise-intensity/art-20046887
- Janssen TW, van Oers CA, van der Woude LH, Hollander AP. Physical strain in daily life of wheelchair users with spinal cord injuries. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1994 Jun; 26(6): 661–70.
- Marszałek J, Gryko K, Kosmol A, Morgulec-Adamowicz N, Mróz A, Molik B. Wheelchair basketball competition heart rate profile according to players’ functional classification, tournament level, game type, game quarter and playing time. Front Psychol. 2019 Apr 15; 10: 773.
- imaging.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk [Internet]. Rules of thumb on magnitudes of effect sizes; 2019 [cited 2020 May 11]. Available from: http://imaging.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/statswiki/FAQ/effectSize
Publication order reference