Effectiveness of physiotherapy in carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS)
Languages of publication
Introduction Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) is one of the most common peripheral upper limb’s neuropathy. It can affect up to 4% of the human population. There is not one specific CTS’s reason. Predisposing factors include: injuries and overloading of the wrists, frequently repetitions of the same activities, pregnancy and acromegaly. The ENG and USG are gold standards in the diagnosis of CTS. CTS treatment includes surgical and physiotherapeutic conservative treatment. Physiotherapists uses manual therapy techniques, neuromobilization, fascial manipulation, osteopathy and other kinds of physical therapy Material and methods A systematic review of the literature was based on publications from the last 5 years. Articles concerned the physiotherapy of people with carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). Publications from the PubMed and ScienceDirect scientific databases have been analyzed. The inclusion and exclusion criteria were introduced and based on an analysis of the titles and abstracts related to carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). Results Out of over 28,000 CTS articles, 8 were selected to meet all inclusion and exclusion criteria. The publications concerned physiotherapeutic treatment in the conservative treatment of CTS. The analyzed publications examined the effectiveness of wrist manual therapy, median nerve mobilization, kinesiotaping, soft tissue therapy and fascial manipulations as well as other physiotherapy treatments. Conclusions The reviewed publications show that physiotherapeutic procedures bring significant benefits and improve CTS symptoms within the hand. The development of physiotherapy and research on rehabilitation in the carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) allow for more effective conservative treatment. This increases the chance of avoiding or delaying surgical intervention.
- Ellis R, Blyth R, Arnold N, Miner-Williams W. Is there a relationship between impaired median nerve excursion and carpal tunnel syndrome? A systematic review. J Hand Ther. 2017;30:3-12.
- Çirakli A, Ulusoy EK, Ekinci Y. The Role of Electrophysiological Examination in the Diagnosis of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Analysis of 2516 Patients. Niger J Clin Pract. 2018;21(6):731-4.
- Bueno-Gracia E, Ruiz-de-Escudero-Zapico A, Malo-Urriés M, Shacklock M, Estébanez-de-Miguel E, Fanlo-Mazas P, et al. Dimensional changes of the carpal tunnel and the median nerve during manual mobilization of the carpal bones. Musculoskelet Sci Pract. 2018 Aug;36:12-6.
- Baselgia LT, Bennett DL, Silbiger RM, Schmid AB. Negative Neurodynamic Tests Do Not Exclude Neural Dysfunction in Patients With Entrapment Neuropathies. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017 Mar;98(3):480–6.
- Wolny T, Linek P. Neurodynamic Techniques Versus “Sham” Therapy in the Treatment of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2018 May;99(5):843-54.
- Petrover D, Richette P. Treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome: from ultrasonography to ultrasound guided carpal tunnel release. Joint Bone Spine. 2018 Oct;85(5):545-52.
- Wolny T, Saulicz E, Linek P, Shacklock M, Myśliwiec A. Efficacy of Manual Therapy Including Neurodynamic Techniques for the Treatment of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: a Ranomized Controlled Trial. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2017 May;40(4):263-72.
- Trybus M, Stepańczak B, Koziej M, Gniadek M, Kołodziej M, Hołda M. Hand anthropometry in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome: a case-control study with a matched control group of healthy volunteers. Folia Morphol (Warsz). 2018 May.
- Bartolomé-Villar A, Pastor-Valeroa T, Fuentes-Sanzb A, Varillas-Delgadoc D, García-de Lucasd F. Influence of the thickness of the transverse carpal ligament in carpal tunnel syndrome. Rev Esp Cir Ortop Traumatol. 2018 Apr;62(2):100-4.
- Turner MR, Hilton- Jones D. Oxford Textbook of Neuromuscular Disorders. Oxford Universisty Press; 2014.
- Chammas M, Boretto J, Burmann LM, Ramos RM, Dos Santos Neto FC, Silva JB. Carpal tunnel syndrome - Part I (anatomy, physiology, etiology and diagnosis. Rev Bras Ortop. 2014 Aug;49(5):429-36.
- Chammas M, Boretto J, Burmann LM, Ramos RM, Neto FS, Silva JB. Carpal tunnel syndrome - Part II (treatment). Rev Bras Ortop. 2014 Aug;49(5):437-45.
- Yen WJ, Kuo YL, Kuo LC, Chen SM, Kuan TS, Hsu HY. Precision pinch performance in patients with sensory deficits of the median nerve at the carpal tunnel. Motor Control. 2014 Jan;18(1):29-43.
- Pratelli E, Pintucci M, Cultrera P, Baldini E, Stecco A, Petrocelli A, Pasquetti P. Conservative treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome: comparison between laser therapy and Fascial Manipulation. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2015 Jan;19(1):113-8.
- Kuliński W, Mróz J, Leśniewski P, Koczorowski R. Cervical discopathy and carpal tunnel syndrome, problems in diagnostics and therapy Adv Rehab. 2004;4:41-4.
- You D, Smith AH, Rempel D. Meta-analysis: association between wrist posture and carpal tunnel syndrome among workers. Saf Health Work. 2014 Mar;5(1):27-31.
- Godek P, Ruciński W, Brzuszkiewicz- Kuźmicka G. Functional Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Adv Rehab. 2017;3:71-86.
- Jamwal NR, Kumar SP. Therapeutic Efficacy of Peripheral Nerve Sliders in Cervicobrachial Pain Syndrome: Sliding towards Evidence versus Evidence towards Sliding. Indian J Med Res. 2018;2(2):61-64.
- Gupta R, Sharma S. Effectiveness of Median Nerve Slider’s Neurodynamics for Managing Pain and Disability in Cervicobrachial Pain Syndrome. Indian J Physiother Occup Ther. 2012;6(1):127-32.
- Leite JC, Jerosch-Herold C, Song F. A systematic review of the psychometric properties of the Boston Carpal Tunnel Questionnaire. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2006;20(7):78.
- Carpal Tunnel Questionnaire. J Physiother. 2017;63:119.
- Sezgi˙n M, İncel NA, Sevi˙m S, Çamdevi˙ren H, As I, ErdoĞan C. Assessment of symptom severity and functional status in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome: Reliability and validity of the Turkish version of the Boston questionnaire. Disabil Rehabil. 2006;28(20):1281-6.
- de Jesus Filho AG, do Nascimento BF, Amorim MdeC, Naus RA, Loures Ede A, Moratelli L. Comparative study between physical examination, electroneuromyography and ultrasonography in diagnosing carpal tunnel syndrome. Rev Bras Ortop. 2014 Sep 16;49(5):446-51.
- Onen MR, Kayalar AE, Ilbas EN, Gokcan R, Gulec I, Naderi S. The Role of Wrist Magnetic Resonance Imaging in the Differential Diagnosis of the Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Turk Neurosurg. 2015;25(5):701-6.
- Sonoo M, Menkes DL, Bland JDP, Burke D. Nerve conduction studies and EMG in carpal tunnel syndrome: Do they add value? Clin Neurophysiol Pract. 2018 Apr;3:78-88.
- Billakota S, Hobson-Webb LD. Standard median nerve ultrasound in carpal tunnel syndrome: A retrospective review of 1,021 cases. Clin Neurophysiol Pract. 2017 Sep 15;2:188-91
- Hermens HJ, Merletti R, Rix H, Freriks B. The State of the Art on Signal Processing Methods for Surface ElectroMyoGraphy. Deliverable of the SENIAM Project, Roessingh Research and Development, Enschede. The Netherlands; 1999.
- Konrad P. ABC EMG A practical introduction to kinesiological electromyography. Technomex Spółka z o.o. Gliwice; 2007.
- Alcan V, Zinnuroğlu M, Karataş GK, Bodofsky E. Comparison of Interpolation Methods in the Diagnosis of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Balkan Med J. 2018;35:223-7.
- Rabay Pimentel BF, Faloppaa F, Sugawara Tamaoki MJ, Belloti JC. Effectiveness of ultrasonography and nerve conduction studies in the diagnosing of carpal tunnel syndrome: clinical trial on accuracy. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2018;19:115.
- Buckup K. Clinical tests in the examination of bones, joints and muscles. 2nd edition, Wyd. Lek. PZWL; 2000.
- Baselgia LT, Bennett DL, Silbiger RM, Schmid AB. Negative Neurodynamic Tests Do Not Exclude Neural Dysfunction in Patients With Entrapment Neuropathies, Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017;98:480-6.
- Schreiber AL, Sucher BM, Nazarian LN. Two Novel Nonsurgical Treatments of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2014;25(2):249-64.
- De-la-Llave-Rincon AI, Ortega-Santiago R, Ambite-Quesada S, Gil-Crujera A, Puentedura EJ, Valenza MC, Fernández-delas- Peñas C. Response of pain intensity to soft tissue mobilization and neurodynamic technique: a series of 18 patients with chronic carpal tunnel syndrome. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2012 Jul;35(6):420-7.
- Wolny T, Saulicz E, Linek P, Myśliwiec A, Saulicz M. Effect of manual therapy and neurodynamic techniques vs ultrasound and laser on 2PD in patients with CTS: A randomized controlled trial. J Hand Ther. 2016 Jul-Sep;29(3):235-45.
- Dinarvand V, Abdollahi I, Raeissadat SA, Bandpei AM, Babaee M, Talimkhani A. The Effect of Scaphoid and Hamate Mobilization on Treatment of Patients with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Anesth Pain Med. 2017;7(5):e14621.
- Maddali Bongi S, Signorini M, Bassetti M, Del Rosso A, Orlandi M, De Scisciolo G. A manual therapy intervention improves symptoms in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome: a pilot study. Rheumatol Int. 2013 May;33(5):1233-41.
- Oskouei AE, Talebi GA, Shakouri SK, Ghabili K. Effects of Neuromobilization Maneuver on Clinical and Electrophysiological Measures of Patients with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. J Phys Ther Sci. 2014;26:1017–22.
- Yilddirim P, Dilek B, Sahin E, Gulbahar S, Kizil R. Ultrasonographic and clinical evaluation of additional contribution of kinesiotaping to tendon and nerve gliding exercises in the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome. Turk J Med Sci. 2018;48:925-32.
- Burnham T, Higgins DC, Burnham RS, Heath DM. Effectiveness of Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: A Pilot Project. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2015;115(3):138-48.
- Żmijewski M. How to write a review paper? Idea, research, publication: Scientific guide for students of medical majors. Medical University of Gdansk; 2015.
- Burton CL, Chesterton LS, Chen Y, van der Windt DA. Clinical Course and Prognostic Factors in Conservatively Managed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: A Systematic Review. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016 May;97(5):836-52.
Publication order reference