Transesophageal three-dimensional echocardiography improves the safety of transvenous extraction of pacemaker and implantable cardioverter-defibrillator leads – preliminary report
Languages of publication
This article demonstrates the echocardiographic method to assess the placement of pacemaker and implantable cardioverter-defibrillator leads in the vicinity of the superior vena cava as a way to increase the safety of transvenous lead extraction (TLE). Three-dimensional transesophageal echocardiography was performed in 3 patients during TLE with the use of the Specranetics Excimer Laser device. We assessed the following parameters: lead adherence to the lateral wall of the vessel and lead movement. This method increased the safety of the performed TLE.
- Polyzos KA, Konstantelias AA, Falagas ME. Risk factors for cardiac implantable electronic device infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Europace. 2015;17(5):767–777.
- Kusumoto FM, Schoenfeld MH, Wilkoff BL, Berul CI, Birgersdotter-Green UM, Carrillo R, et al. 2017 HRS expert consensus statement on cardiovascular implantable electronic device lead management and extraction. Hear Rhythm. 2017;14(12):e503–551.
- Hauser RG, Katsiyiannis WT, Gornick CC, Almquist AK, Kallinen LM. Deaths and cardiovascular injuries due to device-assisted implantable cardioverter-defibrillator and pacemaker lead extraction. Europace. 2010;12(3):395–401.
- Brunner MP, Cronin EM, Wazni O, Baranowski B, Saliba WI, Sabik JF, et al. Outcomes of patients requiring emergent surgical or endovascular intervention for catastrophic complications during transvenous lead extraction. Heart Rhythm. 2014 Mar;11(3):419–425.
- Epstein LM, Love CJ, Wilkoff BL, Chung MK, Hackler JW, Bongiorni MG, et al. Superior vena cava defibrillator coils make transvenous lead extraction more challenging and riskier. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013 Mar;61(9):987–989.
- Brunner MP, Cronin EM, Duarte VE, Yu C, Tarakji KG, Martin DO, et al. Clinical predictors of adverse patient outcomes in an experience of more than 5000 chronic endovascular pacemaker and defibrillator lead extractions. Hear Rhythm. 2014;11(5):799–805.
- Flachskampf FA, Wouters PF, Edvardsen T, Evangelista A, Habib G, Hoffman P, et al. Recommendations for transoesophageal echocardiography: EACVI update 2014. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2014;15(4):353–365.
- Hahn RT, Abraham T, Adams MS, Bruce CJ, Glas KE, Lang RM, et al. Guidelines for performing a comprehensive transesophageal echocardiographic examination: Recommendations from the american society of echocardiography and the society of cardiovascular anesthesiologists. Anesth Analg. 2014;118(1):21–68.
Publication order reference