Usefulness of CartoMerge image integration module in catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation
Languages of publication
Background Anatomy assessment using Computer Tomography (CT) and Magnetic Resonance (MRI) is performed in patients undergoing pulmonary vein isolation (PVI). The aim of this analysis was to investigate whether electroanatomical 3D map and CT/MRI image integration using the CartoMerge system improves efficacy, reduces procedure time or fluoroscopy usage. Materials and methods 57 patients undergoing PVI were divided in two groups: “Merge” (n=45 pts) and “non-Merge” (n=14 pts) depending on usage of image integration. PV isolation during procedure (acute PVI), procedure time, fluoroscopy time, number of radio frequency (RF) applications and AF recurrence during follow-up (Merge group: 12-24 months, non-Merge group: 9-18 months) were analyzed. Results Intra-procedural PVI was equal in both groups (93%). Long-term efficacy, defined as absence of AF recurrence, was insignificantly higher in the Merge group (69,8% vs 50%, p=0,11793). Procedure time was significantly longer in the Merge group – 239,1 (±55,5) min. vs 192,4 (±44,5). Fluoroscopy time was similar in both groups 29,9 (±12,23) vs 24,6 (±26,5) min, (p=0,579). Number of RF applications was significantly higher in the Merge group 48,5 (±25,2) vs 27,2 (±14,9). Conclusions CartoMerge did not improve the rate of acute PVI, long-term effectivity or fluoroscopy time. In the non-Merge group the procedure time was shorter and the number of applications was significantly smaller.
- Jais P, Haissaguerre M, Shah DC, Chouairi S, Gencel L, Hocini M, et al. A focal source of atrial fibrillation treated by discrete radiofrequency ablation. Circulation. 1997;95(3):572–6.
- Haissaguerre M, Jaïs P, Shah DC, Takahashi A, Hocini M, Quiniou G, et al. Spontaneous initiation of atrial fibrillation by ectopic beats originating in the pulmonary veins. N Engl J Med. 1998;339(10):659–66.
- Haissaguerre M, Shah DC, Jaïs P, Hocini M, Yamane T, Deisenhofer I, et al. Electrophysiological breakthroughs from the left atrium to the pulmonary veins. Circulation. 2000;102(20):2463–5.
- Pappone C, Rosanio S, Oreto G, Tocchi M, Gugliotta F, Vicedomini G, et al. Circumferential radiofrequency ablation of pulmonary vein ostia: a new anatomic approach for curing atrial fibrillation. Circulation. 2000;102(21):2619–28.
- Ouyang F, Bänsch D, Ernst S, Schaumann A, Hachiya H, Chen M, et al. Complete isolation of left atrium surrounding the pulmonary veins: new insights from the double-Lasso technique in paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Circulation. 2004;110(15):2090–6.
- Camm AJ, Kirchhof P, Lip GYH, Schotten U, Savelieva I, Ernst S, et al. Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation: the task force for the management of atrial fibrillation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J. 2010;31(19):2369–429.
- Camm AJ, Lip GYH, De Caterina R, Savelieva I, Atar D, Hohnloser SH, et al. 2012 focused update of the ESC Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation: an update of the 2010 ESC Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation. Developed with the special contribution of the European Heart Rhythm Association. Eur Heart J. 2012;33(21):2719–47.
- Mantovan R, Verlato R, Calzolari V, Baccillieri S, De Leo A, Turrini P, et al. Comparison between anatomical and integrated approaches to atrial fibrillation ablation: adjunctive role of electrical pulmonary vein disconnection. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2005;16(12):1293–7.
- Calkins H, Kuck KH, Cappato R, Brugada J, Camm AJ, Chen S-A, et al. 2012 HRS/EHRA/ECAS Expert Consensus Statement on Catheter and Surgical Ablation of Atrial Fibrillation: recommendations for patient selection, procedural techniques, patient management and follow-up, definitions, endpoints, and research trial design. Europace. 2012;14(4):528–606.
- Lin W-S, Prakash VS, Tai C-T, Hsieh M-H, Tsai C-F, Yu W-C, et al. Pulmonary vein morphology in patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation initiated by ectopic beats originating from the pulmonary veins. Circulation. 2000;101(11):1274–81.
- Ho SY, Cabrera JA, Tran VH, Farré J, Anderson RH, Sánchez-Quintana D. Architecture of the pulmonary veins: relevance to radiofrequency ablation. Heart. 2001;86(3):265–70.
- Mansour M, Holmvang G, Sosnovik D, Migrino R, Abbara S, Ruskin J, et al. Assessment of pulmonary vein anatomic variability by magnetic resonance imaging:. implications for catheter ablation techniques for atrial fibrillation. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2004;15(4):387–93.
- Wood MA, Wittkamp M, Henry D, Martin R, Nixon J., Shepard RK, et al. A comparison of pulmonary vein ostial anatomy by computerized tomography, echocardiography, and venography in patients with atrial fibrillation having radiofrequency catheter ablation. Am J Cardiol. 2004;93(1):49–53.
- Mikaelian BJ, Malchano ZJ, Neuzil P, Weichet J, Doshi SK, Ruskin JN, et al. Integration of 3-Dimensional Cardiac Computed Tomography Images With Real-Time Electroanatomic Mapping to Guide Catheter Ablation of Atrial Fibrillation. Circulation. 2005;112(2):e35–e36.
- Kistler PM, Earley MJ, Harris S, Abrams D, Ellis S, Sporton SC, et al. Validation of three-dimensional cardiac image integration: use of integrated CT image into electroanatomic mapping system to perform catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2006;17(4):341–8.
- Dong J, Dickfeld T, Dalal D, Cheema A, Vasemreddy CR, Henrikson CA, et al. Initial experience in the use of integrated electroanatomic mapping with three-dimensional MR/CT images to guide catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2006;17(5):459–66.
- Kistler PM, Schilling RJ, Rajappan K, Sporton SC. Image integration for atrial fibrillation ablation – pearls and pitfalls. Hear Rhythm. 2007;4(9):1216–21.
- Bertaglia E, Bella PD, Tondo C, Proclemer A, Bottoni N, De Ponti R, et al. Image integration increases efficacy of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation catheter ablation: results from the CartoMergeTM Italian Registry. Europace. 2009;11(8):1004–10.
- Kistler PM, Rajappan K, Harris S, Earley MJ, Richmond L, Sporton SC, et al. The impact of image integration on catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation using electroanatomic mapping: a prospective randomized study. Eur Heart J. 2008;29(24):3029–36.
Publication order reference