Anomalie stawu biodrowego we wczesnym dzieciństwie występują z podobną częstością u chorych ze skoliozą idiopatyczną i zdrowych – badanie ankietowe rodziców
Early childhood anomalies of the hip occur at a similar frequency in patients with idiopathic scoliosis and in healthy individuals – questionnaire for parents
Languages of publication
Introduction Improper hip joint development may lead to numerous unfavourable changes in the musculoskeletal system. The aim of this research was to determine how often adolescents with idiopathic scoliosis and their healthy counterparts experienced anomalies of the hip in their infancy period and to examine the correlation between the occurrence of hip anomalies and idiopathic scoliosis. Material and methods The research was conducted in medical centres as well as in schools. The parents of adolescents with idiopathic scoliosis and parents of healthy adolescents completed a questionnaire on the basis of their child’s development history included in the medical records book and other medical documentation. Results 533 questionnaires were taken into consideration, included 145 questionnaires completed by parents of adolescents with scoliosis (121 girls – 13.8 years, SD 1.9; 24 boys – 12.9 years, SD 2.5) and 388 questionnaires from the group of adolescents without scoliosis (194 girls – 13.5 years, SD 2.0; 194 boys – 13.4 years, SD 2.1). No significant differences were noted in the incidence of hip anomalies between the groups of girls and boys with and without scoliosis, no correlations between anomalies of the hip and scoliosis were found (girls χ2=0.840; Cramer V=0.052; p=0.36; boys χ2=1.205; Cramer V=0.074; p=0.27). Conclusions Hip anomalies such as hip dysplasia, movement asymmetry or range of motion limitations diagnosed in the infancy period did not correlate with idiopathic scoliosis. Further research aimed at a separate analysis of the influence of hip dysplasia on the occurrence of idiopathic scoliosis should be carried out.
- Lai KA, Lin CJ, Su FC. Gait analysis of adult patients with complete congenital dislocation of the hip. J Formos Med Assoc 1997;96:740–4.
- Hartofilakidis G, Karachalios T, Stamos KG. Epidemiology, demographics, natural history of congenital hip disease in adults. Orthopedics 2000;23:823-7.
- Kotlarsky P, Haber R, Bialik V, Eidelman M. Developmental dysplasia of the hip: What has changed in the last 20 years? World J Orthop 2015;6(11):886–901.
- Thomas SR. A review of long-term outcomes for late presenting developmental hip dysplasia. Bone Joint J 2015;97-B:729–33.
- Storer SK, Skaggs DL. Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip. Am Fam Physician 2006;74(8):1310-6.
- Ponseti IV. Morphology of the acetabulum in congenital dislocation of the hip. Gross, histological and roentgenographic studies. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1978;60:586-99.
- Guille JT, Pizzutillo PD, MacEwen GD. Development dysplasia of the hip from birth to six months. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2000;8:232–42.
- Clarke NM. Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip: Diagnosis and Management to 18 Months. Instr Course Lect 2014;63:307-11.
- Musielak B, Idzior M, Jóźwiak M. Evolution of the term and definition of dysplasia of the hip – a review of the literature. Arch Med Sci 2015;11(5):1052-7.
- Loder RT, Skopelja EN. The Epidemiology and Demographics of Hip Dysplasia. ISRN Orthopedics 2011;2011:238607.
- Krikler SJ, Dwyer NSP. Comparison of results of two approaches to hip screening in infants. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1992;74(5):701–3.
- Eastwood DM. Neonatal hip screening. Lancet 2003;361:595–7.
- Graf R. New possibilities for the diagnosis of congenital hip joint dislocation by ultrasonography. J Pediatr Orthop 1983;3:354-9.
- Bialik V, Bialik GM, Blazer S, Sujov P, Wiener F, Berant M. Developmental dysplasia of the hip: a new approach to incidence. Pediatrics 1999;103:93–9.
- Czubak J, Kotwicki T, Ponitek T, Skrzypek H. Ultrasound measurements of the newborn hip. Comparison of two methods in 657 newborns. Acta Orthop Scand 1998;69(1):21-4.
- American Academy of Pediatrics. Committee on Quality Improvement, Subcommittee on Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip. Clinical practice guideline: early detection of developmental dysplasia of the hip. Pediatrics 2000;105:896-905.
- Nili F, Labaf A. Detecting hip joint dysplasia in high risk group infants. Iran Red Crescent Med J 2005;8(2):18-21.
- Roovers EA, Boere-Boonekamp MM, Castelein RM, Zielhuis GA, Kerkhoff TH. Effectiveness of ultrasound screening for developmental dysplasia of the hip. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2005;90:F25–30.
- Ortolani M. Congenital hip dysplasia in the light of early and very early diagnosis. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1976;119:6-10.
- Green NE, Griffin PP. Hip dysplasia associated with abduction contracture of the contralateral hip. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1982;64(9):1273-81.
- Nuysink J, van Haastert IC, Takken T, Helders PJM. Symptomatic asymmetry in the first six months of life: differential diagnosis. Eur J Pediatr 2008;167:613–9.
- Czubak J, Piontek T, Niciejewski K, Magnowski P, Majek M, Płończak M. Retrospective analysis of the non-surgical treatment of developmental dysplasia of the hip using Pavlik harness and Frejka pillow: comparison of both methods. Ortop Traumatol Rehabil 2004;6(1):9-13.
- Kiebzak W, Żurawski A, Dwornik M. Vojta method in the treatment of developmental hip dysplasia - a case report. Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2016;12:1271-6.
- Philippi H et al. Patterns of postural asymmetry in infants: a standardized video-based analysis. Eur J Pediatr 2006;165:158–64.
- Husson JL, Mallet JF, Huten D, Odri GA, Morin C, Parent HF. The lumbar-pelvic-femoral complex: applications in hip pathology. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res 2010;96(4):S10-6.
- Hamanishi Ch, Tanaka S. Turned head adducted hip truncal curvature syndrome. Arch Dis Child 1994;70:515-9.
- Wynne-Davies R. Infantile idiopathic scoliosis: causative factors, particularly in the first six months of life. Bone Joint J 1975;57(2):138-41.
- Weiner DS. Congenital dislocation of the hip associated with congenital muscular torticollis. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1976;121:163–5.
- Morrison DL, MacEwen GD. Congenital muscular torticollis: observations regarding clinical findings, associated conditions, and results of treatment. J Pediatr Orthop 1982;2(5):500–5.
- Walsh JJ, Morrissy RT. Torticollis and hip dislocation. J Pediatr Orthop 1998;18(2):219-21.
- Cheng JC, Au AW. Infantile torticollis: a review of 624 cases. J Pediatr Orthop 1994;14 (6):802–8.
- Cheng CY, Tang SP, Chen TMK, Wong MWN, Wong EMC. The clinical presentation and outcome of treatment of congenital muscular torticollis in infants-a study of 1,086 cases. J Pediatr Surg 2000;35(7):1091–6.
- Von Heideken J. et al. The relationship between developmental dysplasia of the hip and congenital muscular torticollis. J Pediatr Orthop 2006;26(6):805–8.
- Minihane KP, Grayhack JJ, Simmons TD, Seshadri R, Wysocki RW, Sarwark JF. Developmental dysplasia of the hip in infants with congenital muscular torticollis. Am J Orthop 2008;37(9):E155–8.
- Harila V, et al. Occlusal asymmetries in children with congenital hip dislocation. Eur J Orthod 2012;34:307–11.
- Joiner ER. A, Andras LM, Skaggs DL. Screening for hip dysplasia in congenital muscular torticollis: is physical exam enough? Child Orthop 2014;8:115.
- Jawadi AH. Clubfoot and Congenital Muscular Torticollis Prevalence in Children Diagnosed with Developmental Dysplasia of Hip: Review of 594 DDH Patients. Pediat Therapeut 2016;6:2.
- Kotwicki T, Walczak A, Szulc A. Trunk rotation and hip joint range of rotation in adolescent girls with idiopathic scoliosis: does the "dinner plate" turn asymmetrically ? Scoliosis 2008; 3:1.
- Cheung KMC, Cheng ACS, Cheung WY, Chooi YS, Wong YW, Luk KDK. Right hip adduction deficit and adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 2008;16(l):24-6.
- Karski T. Biomechanical Etiology of The So-Called Idiopathic Scoliosis (1995 – 2007) – Connection with “Syndrome of Contractures”– Fundamental Information for Pediatricians in Program of Early Prophylactics. Journal of US-China Medical Science 2011;8:259-72.
- Konieczny MR, Senyurt H, Krauspe R. Epidemiology of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. J Child Orthop 2013;7(1):3–9.
- Karski T, Kalakucki J, Karski J. Relationship of "syndrome of contractures" in newborns with the development of the so-called idiopathic scoliosis. World J Pediatr 2007;3(4):254-9
Publication order reference