Amputee football in practice and research
Languages of publication
Introduction Sport for people with disabilities has interested scientists for a long time. However, there is a scarcity of research on the subject of amputee football – football adapted to individuals after amputations. The aim of the study was to describe this sport and to review research carried out in this field so far. When looking for investigations on amputee football, the available computer databases (Academic Search Complete, SPORTdiscus, MEDLINE, Health Source, MasterFILE Premier) were searched comprehensively. The following key words were used to identify proper articles: amputee football, football + amputations, crutch football. Also, the following article inclusion criteria were applied: (A) original scientific paper, (B) available full text of paper, (C) paper published in a peer-reviewed journal, (D) paper published in the English language. Eleven articles that met the criteria were selected for the analysis. Description of amputee football The description of amputee football included the history of the sport in the world and in Poland, rules of the game and players’ classification. Amputee football in research The articles selected for the review were divided into three categories: 1) psychological and social aspects, 2) anthropomotorics and nutrition, 3) endurance, physical capacity and speed abilities. Summary The majority of studies carried out so far have focused on general characteristics of amputee football players and the effects of this sport on the functioning of individuals after amputations. Future studies ought to involve injury-related aspects as well as training effectiveness on the basis of physiological parameters.
- Piłka nożna w badaniach statystycznych Główny Urząd Statystyczny, Warszawa 2012
- Paralympic.org [Internet]. Sports [cited 2016 Oct 25]. Available from: https://www.paralympic.org/sports
- Ampfutbol.pl [Internet]. Kluby [cited 2016 Oct 24]. Available from: http://www.ampfutbol.pl/ekstraklasa/kluby
- Frere J. The History of “modern” Amputee Football. In: Amputee Sports for Victims of Terrorism, IOS Press;2007.p.5-13.
- Yazicioglu K. The anatomy of amputee players. In: Amputee Sports for Victims of Terrorism, IOS Press;2007.p.14-18.
- Simim MAM, Silva BVC, Marocolo Junior M, Mendes EL, de Mello MT, da Mota GR. Anthropometric profile and physical performance characteristic of the Brazilian amputee football (soccer) team. UEM 2013;19(3); 641-8.
- Molik B. Osoby po amputacjach oraz z innymi schorzeniami narządu ruchu (Les Autres). In Kosmol A, editor. Teoria i praktyka sportu niepełnosprawnych. Warszawa: Wydawnictwo AWF Warszawa;2008.p.202-11.
- Yanci A, Banu H. Comparison of the quality of life of footballer and non footballer amputees. Int J Acad Res 2014;6(2);350-5.
- Monteiro R, Pfeifer L, Santos A, Sousa N. Soccer Practice and Functional and Social Performance of Men With Lower Limb Amputations. JHK 2014;43;33-41.
- Kerr JH. Issues in aggression and violence in sport: The ISSP position stand revisited. TSP 2002;16;68-78.
- Acet M, Tazegül Ü, Kocapınar Ö, Baş Z. A comparison of the levels of aggression and assertiveness between amputee and hearing-impaired football players Int J Acad Res 2012;4(3);5-10.
- Gomes AIS, Ribeiro BG, Soares EA. Nutritional characterization of elite amputee soccer players. RBME 2015;11(1);17-21.
- Gomes AIS, Riberio BG, Soares EA. Nutritional profile of the Brazilian Amputee Soccer Team during the precompetition period for the world championship. Nutrition 2016;22: 989-95.
- Özkan A, Safaz I, Yasar, E, Yaz.c.oglu K. An examination of physical fitness related with performance characteristics of amputee football players. IntSCS 2013;1(3):66-77.
- Özkan A, Kayhan G, Köklü Y, Ergun N, Koz M, Ersöz G, Dellal A. The relationship between body composition, anaerobic performance and sprint ability of amputee soccer players. JHK 2012;35:141-6.
- Mine T, Cengiz T, Urgut K, Halil T. Relationships between quickness and speed performance in amputee footballers. OUA 2014;14(2 Suppl):580-4.
- Kayihan G. Comparative analysis of two different field tests; assessment of aerobic capacity according to heart rate responses in amputee football players. Int J Acad Res 2014;6(3):188-93.
- Wieczorek M, Wiliński W, Struzik A, Rokita A. Hand grip strength vs. sprint effectiveness in amputee soccer players. JHK 2015;48:133-9.
- Worldamputeefootball.com [Internet]. [updated 2016 Sep 12; cited 2016 Oct 24]. Available from: http://www.worldamputeefootball.com
- Worldamputeefootball.com [Internet]. International 7 v. 7 Rules [cited 2016 Oct 24]. Available from: http://www.worldamputeefootball.com/laws.htm/
- Ampfutbol.pl [Internet]. [cited 2016 Oct 24]. Available from: http://www.ampfutbol.pl/
Publication order reference