Medycyna translacyjna - czyli z laboratorium do łóżka chorego ... i z powrotem
Translational medicinie - a path from bench to bed and back...
Languages of publication
Recent years have brought a very fast development of molecular techniques, which enable us to understand the mechanisms of major biological processes. However at the same time when we indulge ourselves in advanced models of physiology and pathophysiology, we tend to forget about the ultimate goal of biomedicine - our patients and their benefits. Current essay, discusses a need and possible ways to re-establish links between biomedical research and cinical medicine. The need for this is emphasized by the fact that during recent years in spite of increasing funding of biomedical research the number of new drug registrations is falling. The reasons for this are complex but often include insuffcient communication between scientists and clinicians but also pitfalls of the models currently used for tesing of new drug safety and efficacy. Moreover closer cooperation between academia and industry is warranted. These gaps are filled by translational medicine - which although only recently established will be a critical step in translating science to the clinic.
- Cozzi J., Fraichard A., Thiam K., 2008. Use of genetically modified rat models for translational medicine. Drug Discov. Today 13, 488-494.
- Feuerstein G. Z., Chavez J., 2009. Translational medicine for stroke drug discovery: the pharmaceutical industry perspective. Stroke 40 (Suppl. 3), S121-S125.
- Fitzgerald G. A., 2007. Clinical pharmacology or translational medicine and therapeutics: reinvent or rebrand and expand? Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. 81, 19-20.
- Garfield S. A., Malozowski S., Chin M. H., Narayan K. M., Glasgow R. E. i współaut., 2003. Considerations for diabetes translational research in real-world settings. Diabetes Care 26, 2670-2674.
- Hiss R., 2004. Fundamental issues in translational research. Translational research - two phases of a continuum. From clinical trials to community: the science of translating diabetes and obesity research. Natcher Conference Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA, 11-14.
- Ho R. J., Chien J. Y., 2008. Drug delivery trends in clinical trials and translational medicine: Updated analysis of ClinicalTrials.gov database. J. Pharm. Sci. 98, 1928-1934.
- Keun H. C., 2007. Biomarker discovery for drug development and translational medicine using metabonomics. Ernst Schering Res. Found. Workshop 4, 79-98.
- Littman B. H., Di Mario L., Plebani M., Marincola F. M., 2007. What's next in translational medicine? Clin. Sci. (Lond.) 112, 217-227.
- Mankoff S. P., Brander C., Ferrone S., Marincola F. M., 2004. Lost in translation: obstacles to translational medicine. J. Transl. Med. 2, 14.
- Schnapp L. M., Vaught M., Park D. R. i współaut., 2009. Implementation and impact of a translational research training program in pulmonary and critical care medicine. Chest 135, 688-694.
Publication order reference