Surface structure changes of pathological placenta tissue observed using scanning electron microscopy - a pilot study
Languages of publication
Structural changes within the placenta are observed in the course of pathological pregnancy. The aim of the study was to perform initial assessment of morphological features of placenta. The analysis was conducted by Scanning Electron Microscopy. Samples of placenta of women who delivered neonates appropriate for gestational age were characterized by a homogenous surface texture with natural corrugation. The surface of IUGR placenta from the group of mothers with pregnancy induced hypertension was definitely heterogeneous - noticeable swelling of tissue surface was observed. Samples from LGA group also demonstrated a number of surface bulges and heterogeneities which were, nonetheless, characterized by a certain repeatability.
- Atwaa KA, Farghalyb LM (2011) Light and electron microscopic study of placental tissue in women suffering from severe preeclampsia. Egypt J Hist 34: 650-661. doi: 10.1097/01.EHX.0000406203.69444.59
- Bobiński R, Mikulska M (2015) The ins and outs of maternal-fetal fatty acid metabolism. Acta Biochim Pol 62: 499-507. doi: 10.18388/abp.2015_1067.
- Bobiński R, Mikulska M, Mojska H, Simon M (2013a) Comparison of the fatty acid composition of maternal blood and cord blood of mothers who delivered healthy full-term babies, preterm babies, and full-term small for gestational age infants. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 26: 96-102. doi: 10.3109/14767058.2012.722717.
- Bobiński R, Mikulska M, Mojska H, Simon M (2013b) Comparison of the fatty acid composition of transitional and mature milk of mothers who delivered healthy full-term babies, preterm babies, and full-term small for gestational age infants. Eur J Clin Nutr 67: 966-971. doi: 10.1038/ejcn.2013.96.
- Duttaroy AK (2009) Transport of fatty acids across the human placenta: A review. Prog Lipid Res 48: 52-61. doi: 10.1016/j.plipres.2008.11.001.
- Elad D, Levkovitz R, Jaffa AJ, Desoye G, Hod M (2014) Have we neglected the role of fetal endothelium in transplacental transport? Traffic 15: 122-126. doi: 10.1111/tra.12130.
- Haggarty P (2002) Placental regulation of fatty acids delivery and its effect on fetal growth - a review. Placenta 23: S28S38.
- Haggarty P (2004) Effect of placental function on fatty acid requirements during pregnancy. Eur J Clin Nutr 58: 1559-1570.
- Selim ME, Elshmry NG, Hamidi EI, Rashed A (2013) Electron and scanning microscopic observations on the syncytiotrophoblast microvillous membrane contribution to preeclampsia in early placental rats. J Blood Disorders Transf 4: 1-8. doi: 10.4172/2155-9864.1000137
Publication order reference