The influence of CSN3 and LGB polymorphisms on milk production and chemical composition in Romanian Simmental cattle
Languages of publication
The aim of this study was to assess the influence of genotypes from the CSN3 and LGB loci on milk production and chemical composition in Romanian Simmental cattle (n=114). For the CSN3 locus a significantly higher frequency (P≤0.001) was observed for the allele A (0.785) compared to allele B (0.215) and for AA (0.631) compared to AB (0.307) and BB (0.062) genotypes, respectively. The AA genotype was associated with a higher milk production (5887.76±115.7 kg) compared to the yields associated with the BB genotype (5619±86.34 kg, P≤0.003), as well as a higher fat percentage (4.19±0.05% vs. 4.01±0.02%, P≤0.001). A higher milk protein percentage was associated with BB (3.4±0.02%) compared to AA (3.27±0.03) and AB (3.29±0.03) genotypes, respectively (P≤0.05). For the LGB locus, the frequency of allele A was significantly higher (0.606, P≤0.008) than allele B (0.394). The AB genotype was the most prevalent in the herd (0.579) compared to AA (0.316) and BB genotypes (0.105). The AB genotype was associated with a higher milk production (5906.54±166.76 kg) compared with the other two genotypes (P≤0.05). The BB genotype was associated with a higher fat percentage in milk (4.23±0.06%) compared with AA (4.17±0.06) and AB (4.2±0.08) genotypes, respectively (P≤0.01). For the LGB locus, no significant differences (P>0.05) were observed for milk protein percentage. In order to increase the quantity and quality of milk, the outcomes obtained in this study encourage improving genetic structure in cattle based on marker assisted selection for genes with economic values.
- Acatincai S, Cziszter LT (2010) Animal productions. Agroprint ed., p 112-115. Timisoara (in Romanian)
- Ahmadi M, Mohammadi Y, Darmani Kuhi H, Osfoori R, Qanbari S (2008) Association of milk protein genotypes with production traits and somatic cell count of Holstein Cows. J Biol Sci 8: 1231-1235. doi: 10.3923/jbs.2008.1231.1235
- Azevedo AL, Nascimento CS, Steinberg RS, Carvalho MR, Peixoto MG, Teodoro RL, Verneque RS, Guimaraes SE, Machado MA (2008) Genetic polymorphism of the kappa-casein gene in Brazilian cattle. Genet Mol Res 7: 623-630. doi: 10.4238/vol7-3gmr428.
- Balteanu AV, Vlaic A, Suteu M, Carsai T (2010) A comparative study of major milk protein polymorphism in six Romanian cattle breed. Bull UASVM Animal Scie Bio 67: 345-350
- Bartonova P, Vrtkova I, Kaplanova K, Urban T (2012) Association between CSN3 and BCO2 gene polymorphisms and milk performance traits in the Czech Fleckvieh cattle breed. Genet Mol Res 11: 1058-1063. doi: 10.4238/2012.April.27.4.
- Bencsik I, Pacala N, Stanculet J, Telea A, Bencsik A (2007) The influence of k-casein alleles on milk production and quality in a Holstein-Frisian cow population. Sci Pap Anim Sci Biotech 40: 13-17
- Bonfatti V, Di Martino G, Cecchinato A, Vicario D, Carnier P (2010) Effects of β-κ-casein (CSN2-CSN3) haplotypes and β-lactoglobulin (BLG) genotypes on milk production traits and detailed protein composition of individual milk of Simmental cows. J Dairy Sci 93: 3797-3808. doi: 1 0.3168/jds.2009-2778.
- Bugeac T, Balteanu VA, Creanga S (2013) Kappa-casein genetic variants and their relationships with milk production and quality in Montbéliarde dairy cows. Bull UASVM Animal Scie Bio 70: 193-194
- Felenczak A, Gil Z, Adamczyk K, Zapletal P, Frelich J (2008) Polymorphism of milk κ-casein with regard to milk yield and reproductive traits of Simmental cows. J Agrobiology 25: 201-207
- Grădinaru AC, Ilie DE, Creangă S (2015) The effect of casein genotypes selection on the genetic structure of Romanian Spotted, Holstein Friesian and Montbéliarde cattle populations and the genetic variability of kappa-casein and beta-lactoglobulin in Romanian Grey Steppe. Res J Biotech 10: 91-98
- Grădinaru AC, Ilie DE, Creangă S (2013) Milk protein genetic variants in Romanian Spotted, Holstein Friesian and Montbéliarde cows and some correlations with milk parameters. Res J Biotech 8: 3-9
- Hill T, Lewicki P (2007) Statistics: Methods and Applications. StatSoft, Tulsa, OK, USA
- Ilie DE, Magdin A, Salajeanu A, Neamt RI, Vintila I (2008) Analysis of genetic polymorphism at the CSN3 and BLG locus in some dairy breeds from west part of country. Scientific reports of ICDCB Balotesti, Ceres Ed, p 40-45, Romania
- Ilie DE, Magdin A, Salajeanu A, Neamt RI, Vintila I (2009) Influence of CSN 3 marker on milk composition in Romanian Brown and Romanian Simmental cattle from SCDCB Arad. Sci Pap Anim Sci Biotech 42: 54-57
- Ilie DE, Neamt RI (2015) Effects of sires genotyping for κ-casein on B allele frequency in Romanian Brown cattle. In International scientific symposium, Bioengineering of animal resources, p 204, Timisoara, Romania
- I.N.S. (2015) Annual Report of Romanian National Institute of Statistic - Bovine herds existing on 1st June 2014, No. 228 / 22 September 2014. Available from: http://www.insse.ro/cms/files/statistici/comunicate/com_anuale/Efec_anim/ef.animale_r2014.pdf
- Kusza S, Sziszkosz N, Nagy K, Masala A, Kukovics S, Andras J (2015) Preliminary result of a genetic polymorphism of β-lactoglobulin gene and the phylogenetic study of ten balkan and central european indigenous sheep breeds. Acta Biochim Pol 62: 109-112. doi: 10.18388/abp.2014_846.
- Lara MAC, Gama LT, Bufarah G, Sereno JRB, Celegato EML, Abreu UP (2002) Genetic polymorphisms at the k -casein locus in Pantaneiro cattle. Arch Zootec 51: 99-105
- Medrano JF, Cordova EA (1990a) Genotyping of bovine kappa-casein loci following DNA sequence amplification. Biotechnology 8: 144-146.
- Medrano JF, Cordova EA (1990b) Polymerase chain reaction amplification of bovine LGB genomic sequences and identification of genetic variants by RFLP analysis. Anim Biotech 1: 73-77
- Ojala M, Famula TR, Medrano JF (1997) Effects of milk protein genotypes on the variation of milk production traits of Holstein and Jersey cows in California. J Dairy Sci 80: 1776-1785.
- Shapiro SS, Wilk MB (1965) An analysis of variance test for normality (complete samples). Biometrika 52: 591-611
- Singh LV, Jayakumar S, Sharma A, Gupta SK, Dixit SP, Gupta N, Gupta SC (2015) Comparative screening of single nucleotide polymorphism in β-casein and k-casein gene in different breeds of India. Meta Gene 4: 85-91. doi: 10.1016/j.mgene.2015.03.005.
- Sitkowska B, Neja W, Wisniewska E (2008) Relations between kappa-casein polymorphism (CSN3) and milk performance traits in heifer cows. J Cent Eur Agric 9: 641-644
- Strzalkowska N, Josef K, Lech Z, Zofia R (2002) Effects of kappa-casein and beta-bactoglobulin loci polymorphism, cows age, stage of lactation and somatic cell count on daily milk yield and milk composition in Polish Black and White cattle. Anim Sci Pap Rep 20: 21-35
- Sulimova GE, Abani Azari M, Rostamzadeh J, Mohammad Abani MR, Lazebnyĭ OE (2007) Allelic polymorphism of kappa-casein gene (CSN-3) in Russian cattle breeds and its informative value as a genetic marker. Genetika 43: 88-95.
- Tsiaras AM, Bargouli GG, Banos G, Boscos CM (2005) Effect of kappa-casein and beta-lactoglobulin loci on milk production traits and reproductive performance of Holstein cows. J Dairy Sci 88: 327-334. doi: 10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72692-8.
- Yahya M, Ali AA, Mohammad RN, Ali EK (2013) Allelic polymorphism of κ-casein, β-lactoglobulin and leptin genes and their association with milk production traits in Iranian Holstein cattle. J Cell Mol Res 5: 75-80. doi: 10.22067/jcmr.v5i2.21086
Publication order reference