Association and polymorphism study of seven candidate genes with reproductive traits in three pig breeds in Hungary
Languages of publication
Seven genes (BF, EGF, ESR, FSHB, H2AFZ, LEP and PRLP) were studied as candidate gene influencing eleven reproduction traits (interval between litters (IBL), percent of litter (PL), number of litters (NL), number of piglets born dead (NBD), number of piglet born alive (NBA), total number born (TNB), mean of born alive (MBA), mean of born dead (MBD), mean of born total (MBT), mean of piglets at 21 days of age (M21D) and growth rate (GR) in three pig breeds (Hungarian Large White (HLW), Duroc and Pietrain) by PCR-RFLP. Based on the observed vs. expected genotypes frequencies populations across loci were in Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium (P>0.05). In case HLW breed ESR and FSHβ genes were in disequilibrium. Association study suggested that only EGF gene showed significant influence on the trait NBA and TNB. The AA genotype are preferable for sows, associated with higher NBA and TNB. The longest IBL, and the highest NL is associated with AB and AA genotype of EGF gene. IBL is significantly shorter in case of pigs with AB and AA alleles than BB alleles of PRLP genes. Selection for these SNPs could improve the reproductivity in the studied breeds.
- Barber MC, Clegg RA, Finley E, Vernon RG, Flint DJ (1992) The role of growth hormone, prolactin and insulin-like growth factors in the regulation of rat mammary gland and adipose tissue metabolism during lactation. J Endocrinol 135: 195. doi: 10.1677/joe.0.1350195.
- Buske B, Brunsch C, Zeller K, Reinecke P, Brockmann G (2005) Analysis of properdin (BF) genotypes associated with litter size in a commercial pig cross population. J Anim Breed Genet 122: 259-263. doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0388.2005.00528.x.
- Drögemüller C, Hamann H, Krieter J, Presuhn U, Wallenburg J, Distl O (2000) Candidate gene markers connected to litter size in German pigs. 27th Int. Conf. Anim. Genet. Minneapolis. 26.
- Drögemüller C, Hamann H, Distl O (2001) Candidate gene markers for litter size in different German pig lines. J Anim Sci 79: 2565-2570. doi: /2001.79102565x.
- Hasty LA, Brockman WW, Lambris JD, Lyttle R (1993) Hormonal regulation of complement factor B in human endometrium. Am J Reprod Immunol 30: 63-67. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0897.1995.tb00921.x.
- Gajdócsi E, Pataki R, Tempfli K, Bali Papp Á (2008) A prolaktin receptor gén hatása a mangalicák alomméretére AWeth 4: 424-429 (in Hungarian).
- Jiang ZH, Gibson JP (1998) Rapid communication: a PCR-RFLP marker at the porcine complement factor B gene locus shows between-population frequency variation. J Anim Sci 76: 1716-1717. doi: /1998.7661716x.
- Kennes YM, Murphy BD, Pothier F, Palin MF (2001) Characterization of swine leptin (LEP) polymorphisms and their association with production traits. Anim Genet 32: 215-218. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2052.2001.00768.x.
- Kmieć M, Dybus A, Terman A (2001) Prolactin receptor gene polymorphism and its association with litter size in Polish Landrace. Arch Tierzucht 44: 547-551.
- Kmieć M, Terman A (2006) Associations between the prolactin receptor gene polymorphism and reproductive traits of boars. J Appl Genet 47: 139-141. doi: 10.1007/BF03194613.
- Korwin-Kossakowska A, Kapelański W, Bocian M, Kamyczek M, Sender G, Kurył J (2005) Preliminary study of RBP4, EGF and PTGS2 genes polymorphism in pigs and its association with reproduction traits of sows. Animal Sciences Papers and Reports 23: 95-105.
- Lenth RV, Herve M (2015) lsmeans: Least-Squares Means. R package version 2.16. http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=lsmeans
- Linville RC, Pomp D, Johnson RK, Rothschild MF (2001) Candidate gene analysis for loci affecting litter size an ovulation rate in swine. J Anim Sci 79: 60-67. doi: /2001.79160x.
- Matoušek V, Kernerová N, Kolaříková O, Křížová H, Urban T, Vrtková I (2003) Effect of RYR1 and ESR genotypes on the fertility of sows of Large White breed in elite herds. Czech J Anim Sci 48: 129-133.
- Mendez EA, Messer LA, Larsen NJ, Robic A, Rothschild MF (1999) Epidermal growth factor maps to pig chromosome 8. J Anim Sci 77: 494-495. doi: /1999.772494x.
- Neuenschwander S, Rettenberger G, Meijerink H, Jorg H, Stranzinger G (1996) Partial characterization of porcine obesity gene (OBS) and its localization to chromosome 18 by somatic cell hybrids. Anim Genet 27: 275-278. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2052.1996.tb00489.x.
- Ncube M, Dzama K, Chimonyo M, Kanengoni A, Hamudikuwanda H (2003) Effect of boar genotype on reproductive performance of the local sows of Zimbabwe. Livestock Research for Rural Development 15 (2).
- Pierce JG, Parsons TF (1981) Glycoprotein hormones: structure and function. Annu Rev Biochem 50: 465-495. doi: 10.1146/annurev.bi.50.070181.002341.
- Putnová L, Knoll A, Dvoral J, Cepica S (2002) A new HpaII PCR-RFLP within the porcine prolactin receptor (PRLR) gene and study of its effect on litter size and number of teats. J Anim Breed Genet 119: 57-63. doi: 10.1046/j.1439-0388.2002.00316.x.
- Rothschild MF, Larson RG, Jacobson C, Pearson P (1991) PvuII polymorphisms at the porcine estrogen-receptor locus (ESR). Anim Genet 22: 448-448. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2052.1991.tb00715.x.
- Rothschild M, Jacobson C, Vaske D, Tuggle C, Wang L, Short T, Eckardt G, Sasaki S, Vincent A, McLaren D, Southwood O, van der Steen H, Mileham A, Plastow G (1996) The estrogen receptor locus is associated with a major gene influencing litter size in pigs. Proc Natl Acad Sci 93: 201-205.
- Short TH, Rothschild MF, Southwood OI, McLaren DG, de Vries A, van der Steen A, Eckardt GR, Tuggle CK, Helm J, Vaske DA, Mileham AJ, Plastow GS (1997) Effect of the estrogen receptor locus in reproduction and production traits in four commercial pig lines. J Anim Sci 75: 3138-3142.
- Stratil A, Peelman L, Van Poucke M, Cepica S (1997) A HinfI PCR-RFLP at the porcine leptin (LEP) gene. Anim Genet 28: 371-372. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2052.1997.tb03272.x.
- Sundarrajan C, Liao WX, Roy AC, Ng SC (1999) Association of oestrogen receptor gene polymorphisms with outcome of ovarian stimulation in patients undergoing IVF. Mol Hum Reprod 5: 797-802. doi: 10.1093/molehr/5.9.797.
- Terman A (2005) Effect of the polymorphism of prolactin receptor (PRLR) and leptin (LEP) genes on litter size in Polish pigs. J Anim Breed Genet 122: 400-404. doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0388.2005.00547.x.
- Thuy NTD, Thuy NT, Cuong NV (2006) Genetic polymorphism of prolactin receptor gene in Mong Cai pig. Proceedings of International Workshop on Biotechnology in Agriculture 40-42.
- Wollenhaupt K, Tomek W, Brussow KP, Tiemann U, Viergutz T, Schneider F, Nurnberg G (2002) Effects of ovarian steroids and epidermal growth factor (EGF) on expression and bioactivation of specific regulators of transcription and translation in oviductal tissue in pigs. Reproduction 123: 87-96. doi: 10.1530/rep.0.1230087.
- Zhang Y, Proenca R, Maffei M, Barone M, Leopold L, Friedman JM (1994) Positional cloning of the mouse obese gene and its human homologue. Nature 372: 425-432. doi: 10.1038/372425A0.
- Zhang YH, Mei SQ, Peng XW, Zuo B, Lei MG, Xiong YZ, Li FE (2009) Molecular cloning and polymorphism of the porcine H2AFZ gene. Animal 3: 779-782. doi: 10.1017/S1751731109004170.
- Zucker LM, Zucker TF (1961) Fatty, a new mutation in the rat. J Hered 52: 275-278.
- Zsolnai A, Orbán L (1999) Accelerated separation of random complex DNA patterns in gels: comparing the performance of discontinuous and continuous buffers. Electrophoresis 20: 1462-1468.
Publication order reference