Differentiation of polyvalent bacteriophages specific to uropathogenic Proteus mirabilis strains based on the host range pattern and RFLP
Languages of publication
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) caused by P. mirabilis are difficult to cure because of the increasing antimicrobial resistance of these bacteria. Phage therapy is proposed as an alternative infection treatment. The aim of this study was to isolate and differentiate uropathogenic P. mirabilis strain specific polyvalent bacteriophages producing polysaccharide depolymerases (PDs). 51 specific phages were obtained. The plaques of 29 bacteriophages were surrounded by halos, which indicated that they produced PDs. The host range analysis showed that, except phages 58B and 58C, the phage host range profiles differed from each other. Phages 35 and 45 infected all P. mirabilis strains tested. Another 10 phages lysed more than 90% of isolates. Among these phages, 65A, 70, 66 and 66A caused a complete lysis of the bacterial lawn formed by 62% to 78% of strains. Additionally, phages 39A and 70 probably produced PDs. The phages' DNA restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) analysis demonstrated that genomes of 51 isolated phages represented 34 different restriction profiles. DNA of phage 58A seemed to be resistant to selected EcoRV endonuclease. The 33 RFLP-EcoRV profiles showed a Dice similarity index of 38.8%. 22 RFLP patterns were obtained from single phage isolates. The remaining 12 restriction profiles consisted of 2 to 4 viruses. The results obtained from phage characterization based on the pattern of phage host range in combination with the RFLP method enabled effective differentiation of the studied phages and selection of PD producing polyvalent phages for further study.
- Abedon ST, Kuhl SJ, Blasdel BG, Kutter ME (2011) Phage treatment of human infections. Bacteriophage 1: 66-85. doi: 10.4161/bact.1.2.15845.
- Ackermann HW (2009) Phage classification and characterization. In Bacteriophages: Methods and Protocols. Volume 1: Isolation, Characterization, and Interactions. Clokie MRJ, Kropinski AM, eds, vol 501, pp 127-140. Humana Press, New York. doi: 10.1007/978-1-60327-164-6_13.
- Ackermann HW, Nguyen TM (1983) Sewage coliphages studied by electron microscopy. Appl Environ Microbiol 45: 1049-1059.
- Comeau AM, Tétart F, Trojet SN, Prère MF, Krisch HM (2007) Phage-Antibiotic Synergy (PAS): beta-lactam and quinolone antibiotics stimulate virulent phage growth. PLoS ONE 2: e799. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0000799.
- Cornelissen A, Ceyssens PJ, Krylov VN, Noben JP, Volckaert G, Lavigne R (2012) Identification of EPS-degrading activity with in the tail spikes of the novel Pseudomonas putida phage AF. Virology 434: 251-256. doi: 10.1016/j.virol.2012.09.030.
- Dera-Tomaszewska B, Tokarska-Pietrzak E (2012) Phage typing in the diagnostic of Salmonella Enteritidis occurring in Poland. Post Mikrobiol 51: 323-329. (in Polish).
- Donlan RM (2009) Preventing biofilms of clinically relevant organisms using bacteriophage. Trends Microbiol 17: 66-72. doi: 10.1016/j.tim.2008.11.002.
- Drulis-Kawa Z, Majkowska-Skrobek G, Maciejewska B, Delattre AS, Lavigne R (2012) Learning from bacteriophages - advantages and limitations of phage and phage-encoded protein applications. Curr Protein Pept Sci 13: 699-722. doi: 10.2174/1389203711213080002.
- Gutiérrez D, Martínez B, Rodríguez A, García P (2012) Genomic characterization of two Staphylococcus epidermidis bacteriophages with anti biofilm potential. BMC Genomics 13: 228. doi: 10.1186/1471-2164-13-228.
- Holmfeldt K, Middelboe M, Nybroe O, Riemann L (2007) Large variabilities in host strain susceptibility and phage host range govern interactions between lytic marine phages and their Flavobacterium hosts. Appl Environ Microbiol 73: 6730-6739. doi: 10.1128/AEM.01399-07.
- Hughes KA, Sutherland IW, Jones MV (1998) Biofilm susceptibility to bacteriophage attack: the role of phage-borne polysaccharide depolymerases. Microbiology 144: 3039-3047. doi: 10.1099/00221287-144-11-3039.
- Hunter PR, Gaston MA (1988) Numerical index of the discriminatory ability of typing systems: an application of Simpson's index of diversity. J Clin Microbiol 26: 2465-2466.
- Jacobsen SM, Shirtliff ME (2011) Proteus mirabilis biofilms and catheter-associated urinary tract infections. Virulence 2: 460-465. doi: 10.4161/viru.2.5.17783.
- Karama M, Gyles CL (2008) Characterization of verotoxin-encoding phages from Escherichia coli O103:H2 strains of bovine and human origins. Appl Environ Microbiol 74: 5153-5158. doi: 10.1128/AEM.00723-08.
- Kropinski AM, Mazzocco A, Waddell TE, Lingohr E, Johnson RP (2009) Enumeration of bacteriophages by double agar overlay plaque assay. In Bacteriophages: Methods and Protocols. Volume 1: Isolation, Characterization, and Interactions. Clokie MRJ, Kropinski AM, eds, vol 501, pp 69-76. Humana Press, New York. doi: 10.1007/978-1-60327-164-6_7.
- Kunisaki H, Tanji Y (2010) Intercrossing of phage genomes in a phage cocktail and stable coexistence with Escherichia coli O157:H7 in anaerobic continuous culture. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 85: 1533-1540. doi: 10.1007/s00253-009-2230-2.
- Kutter E (2009) Phage host range and efficiency of plating. In Bacteriophages: Methods and Protocols. Volume 1: Isolation, Characterization, and Interactions. Clokie MRJ, Kropinski AM, eds, vol 501, pp 141-149. Humana Press, New York. doi: 10.1007/s00253-009-2230-2.
- Labrie SJ, Samson JE, Moineau S (2010) Bacteriophage resistance mechanisms. Nat Rev Microbiol 8: 317-327. doi: 10.1038/nrmicro2315.
- Moryl M, Torzewska A, Jałmużna P, Różalski A (2013) Analysis of Proteus mirabilis distribution in multi-species biofilms on urinary catheters and determination of bacteria resistance to antimicrobial agents. Pol J Microbiol 62: 377-384.
- Różalski A, Kwil I, Torzewska A, Baranowska M, Stączek P (2007) Proteus bacilli: Features and virulence factors. Postepy Hig Med Dosw (Online) 61: 204-219. (in Polish).
- Santos SB, Fernandes E, Carvalho CM, Sillankorva S, Krylov VN, Pleteneva EA, Shaburova OV, Nicolau A, Ferreira EC, Azeredo J (2010) Selection and characterization of a multivalent Salmonella phage and its production in a nonpathogenic Escherichia coli strain. Appl Environ Microbiol 76: 7338-7342. doi: 10.1128/AEM.00922-10.
- Schneider I, Markovska R, Marteva-Proevska Y, Mitov I, Markova B, Bauernfeind A (2014) Detection of CMY-99, a novel acquired AmpC-type β-lactamase, and VIM-1 in Proteus mirabilis isolates in Bulgaria. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 58: 620-621. doi: 10.1128/AAC.01450-13.
- Sekaninová G, Hofer M, Rychlík I, Pillich J, Kolárová M, Zajícová V, Kubícková D (1994) A new phage typing scheme for Proteus mirabilis and Proteus vulgaris strains. 1. Morphological Analysis. Folia Microbiol (Praha) 39: 381-386.
- Sillankorva S, Pleteneva E, Shaburova O, Santos S, Carvalho C, Azeredo J, Krylov V (2010) Salmonella enteritidis bacteriophage candidates for phage therapy of poultry. J Appl Microbiol 108: 1175-1186. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2672.2009.04549.x.
- Soykut EA, Tunail N (2014) Identification of Lactobacillus bulgaricus phages according to their restriction fragment length polymorphisim, protein profiles and host spectrum. GIDA-Journal of Food 39: 95-102.
- Stickler DJ (2014) Clinical complications of urinary catheters caused by crystalline biofilms: something needs to be done. J Intern Med 276: 120-9. doi: 10.1111/joim.12220.
- Su MT, Venkatesh TV, Bodmer R (1998) Large- and small-scale preparation of bacteriophage lambda lysate and DNA. BioTechniques 25: 44-46.
- Ślopek S, Durlakowa I, Kucharewicz-Krukowska A, Krzywy T, Ślopek A, Weber B (1972) Phage typing of Shigella flexneri. Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz) 20: 1-60.
- Tait K, Skilmann LC, Sutherland IW (2002) The efficacy of bacteriophage as a method of biofilm eradication. Biofouling 18: 305-311. doi: 10.1080/0892701021000034418.
- Torzewska A, Budzyńska A, Białczak-Kokot M, Różalski A (2014) In vitro studies of epithelium-associated crystallization caused by uropathogens during urinary calculi development. Microb Pathog 71-72: 25-31. doi: 10.1016/j.micpath.2014.04.007.
- Warren JW (1996) Clinical presentations and epidemiology of urinary tract infections. In Urinary tract infections: molecular pathogenesis and clinical management. Mobley HL and Warren JW, eds, ASM Press, Washington, DC.
- Vandamme EJ (2014) Phage therapy and phage control: to be revisited urgently!! J Chem Technol Biotechnol 89: 329-333. doi: 10.1002/jctb.4245.
- Zhang C, Li W, Liu W, Zou L, Yan C, Lu K, Ren H (2013) T4-like phage Bp7, a potential antimicrobial agent for controlling drug-resistant Escherichia coli in chickens. Appl Environ Microbiol 79: 5559-5565. doi: 10.1128/AEM.01505-13.
Publication order reference